Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First build Ever WIP

• 103 Replies
Re: First build Ever WIP
« Reply #50 on: Jun 27, 2015, 06:35 PM »
Ok so i think i lost a few lbs today in the heat sanding down my plates here is my upper body after i sanded it down then i wiped it down with wet rag and dried it off.

So my question is this

option 1- do i leave like it is, and do my paint over the red and weather etc ?

option 2- take a grinder to it and take all plates down to bare metal?

option 3- do a grey or type of primer and then paint over it same as option 1?

what yal guys opinions, would greatly be helptfull i did put as you see a few claw marks in the armor and few bare spot that i will make blaster shots 

thanks guys.

Xzander Kann

• Pew pew
« Reply #51 on: Jun 27, 2015, 08:32 PM »
Looks great

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #52 on: Jun 27, 2015, 09:13 PM »
it's really up to you and the look you want.  I would definitely prime it though, give your self an even base to work with.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61
« Reply #53 on: Jun 28, 2015, 02:05 PM »
ok so i think im good with how it is just gonna put either some toothpaste or go get some liquid latex and put on parts i want left at metal then ill prime and start  painting

« Reply #54 on: Jul 04, 2015, 08:35 PM »
Primed the plates up today first time ever really weathering anything what do you guys think?  i believe i am going to wet sand it down with like 2000 grit and clean it up  a bit has some swirls in it from my sander

« Reply #55 on: Jul 05, 2015, 11:26 AM »
ok so i sprayed color on my ab plate yesterday and got a few coats on ive never weathered anything before so i gave it a shot this morning just to see what i could have turn out like not say this is final product i was just testing and seemed like a good plate to try on lol. So i took the toothpaste off and then put some shade on parts of it, also did i little try at dry brushing some black on. Definitely still learning and not the best by fart but let me know what you guys think.
I will prob end up wet sanding the plate down to clean up the paint. 

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #56 on: Jul 05, 2015, 11:34 AM »
For a first attempt I think that is looking good! well done vod

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides
« Reply #57 on: Jul 06, 2015, 05:26 PM »
Here is my chest plates after sprayed and chipped then weathered

Ra'lu Ger

• Ak'aan Kadala
« Reply #58 on: Jul 06, 2015, 05:51 PM »
I like the progress!

Buy'ce WIP

MAJIC: 151
VABS: 14
-John

Oryon

• Ωryon: Honourable Duelist and Deathwatch Hunter
« Reply #59 on: Jul 06, 2015, 08:42 PM »
Those look damn good!

M.A.D. #031    M.A. #087    24er    M.A.B.E.L. #020    M.L.C.S. #19    WIP    Helmet
« Reply #60 on: Jul 08, 2015, 12:51 PM »
Ok so sanding more of my armor and painting today since i have the day off also decided that im going to use binding post for attaching my armor to my vest, use quicksteel or jb weld and attaching female side to armor then run it through vest and use male side on the inside of vest hows that sound?  also one thing im stuggling on deciding is footwear. not really sure what alot of ppl use, i was thinking maybe slip on boots but i want it to look good not like a mando in work boots lol. and thought about doing wraps on legs since im in the desert but will still have shin plates maybe. maybe not. Also hopefully will be getting my helmet in soon

MercOfSteel

• This is the way.
  • Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #61 on: Jul 09, 2015, 12:43 PM »
I've got a $40 pair of tactical boots from Wal-Mart for mine. The shin guards and boot plates cover the laces well enough. I know Jango's boots were made by Kenneth Cole. Really, as long as you're smart about it, it's pretty easy to find something that'll work.

Jaing

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #62 on: Jul 09, 2015, 12:59 PM »
Going to move this thread to the correct section since it's a WIP not a planning thread :)

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #63 on: Jul 09, 2015, 02:10 PM »
That weathering looks great vod!

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51
« Reply #64 on: Jul 16, 2015, 04:06 PM »
Ok i know its been a little while, but been super hot here like 120 i have learned that since its super dry and super hot it practically bakes the spray paint on the armor. so here is a little teaser i just cut out a stencil with my exacto knife this will go on the right shoulder i will be putting the Vornskr clan logo on the left, if you have advice for templates or doing stencils would much appreciate it cause cutting this sucked and the Vornskr one is near to impossible.

Also im going to be putting Verd ori'shya beskar'gam  which is A warrior is more than his armor on the collar in Mando'a  what you think??

thanks guys

Jorad Werde

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #65 on: Jul 16, 2015, 10:10 PM »
unfortunetly, that's the best way to do a stencil.  Although i'd cut it out of painters tape that you've laid down on the shoulder bell instead of just out of paper.  There's no way you're going to get that paper to lay perfectly flat while you sponge the paint in.  I used plastic paper for 3 of my stencils, which worked ok.  But for my birgade sigil I used the painters tape method I described and it worked much much better. 

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61
« Reply #66 on: Jul 16, 2015, 11:01 PM »
ok never thought of that so just layer the whole shoulder bell with painters tape trace the stencil onto it and cut it out?

« Reply #67 on: Jul 16, 2015, 11:55 PM »
hows it look?

Jorad Werde

« Reply #68 on: Jul 17, 2015, 08:40 AM »
exactly

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #69 on: Jul 17, 2015, 08:59 AM »
Yeah... we had to redo a portion of the wife's helmet because I decided to do the paper (well posterboard actually) template...paint got under it, turned into a blob...bleh, not doing that again.

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51
« Reply #70 on: Jul 17, 2015, 01:00 PM »
well it turned out great here it is, and then the next one aswell.

and the other shoulder

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #71 on: Jul 17, 2015, 02:26 PM »
It's coming along nicely, vod.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #72 on: Jul 18, 2015, 01:00 AM »
Ok so this is where im at for the end of the day.... what you guys think?

GardenGeek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #73 on: Jul 18, 2015, 01:28 AM »
Nice stenciling job! Your tenacity paid off there :)

Gnar-Gnar

• Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #74 on: Jul 18, 2015, 01:52 AM »
au nice work!!!!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!