Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Pre Vizsla Season 4/5 Helmet WIP

• 77 Replies
Pre Vizsla Season 4/5 Helmet WIP
« on: Mar 04, 2015, 08:53 PM »
After what felt like the longest wait of my life my Pre Vizsla season 4/5 helmet from Eternal Armory has arrived and I could not be more excited to get to work! The only question is where to start? Who else has ordered one of these helmets from EA? This is my first ever helmet and after the initial excitement of opening the package and unwrapping it had passed I realized I don't even know where to begin. Any help here would be incredible seeing as now i have this beautiful helmet just starring at me mocking me while I sit here dumbfounded as to what to do. The helmet did come with a page of instructions that basically just tells me i need to cut away the excess material around the base and then how to put in the visor in the later stages of the build. My first questions are; how to attach the ear caps/ ear cannons? whats the best tool to cut away the excess material? For those who have ordered this helmet are all the pieces accounted for (visor not in pictures)? I was under the impression it came with 4 cannons/ antennas for the ear caps but I may have not thoroughly read the description. I'm sure I will have many more questions the more I stare at it  :P

Mavik

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: Pre Vizsla Season 4/5 Helmet WIP
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2015, 09:01 PM »
First of all I do believe you should have four cannons with that helmet.

As far as cutting goes a dremel is your best friend. Be sure to go slow because it cuts like a hot knife through butter. Also remember if you cut the entire visor area out and leave the helmet without installing the visor the mandibles can warp on you after some time. It doesn’t have to be right away but just be sure you will be ready to install it within a few days. 

When it comes to your ear caps there are several ways to do it. Are you wanting them to move or be stationary?

« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2015, 09:15 PM »
I've seen lots of people cut out most of the visor area except for a small chunk at the bottom to make sure it won't warp which is most likely what I will also do. I'd like the ear caps to be able to rotate I like the idea of being able to turn them forward to give it the functional cannon feel.

Vhett Naast

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2015, 09:17 PM »
For a canon Pre Vizsla build, that has the correct amount of helmet cannons.  He had two on one side and only one on the other (as well as that nub piece on the mount that didn't have a cannon).

As for attachment, it depends on how you want to do it.  I attached mine via bolts, and installed magnets to hold them in the upright and down positions.  If you want to see how I did it, I can PM you a tutorial I saved on how I did it (I've had multiple mercs ask in the past).  ;)

Mavik

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2015, 09:50 PM »
For a canon Pre Vizsla build, that has the correct amount of helmet cannons.  He had two on one side and only one on the other (as well as that nub piece on the mount that didn't have a cannon).

Good call, There is the problem with going from memory. ;D

« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2015, 12:21 AM »
That clears thinks up a lot haha I was worried I was missing one cannon and would need to get it sent up and the helmet made me wait long enough I don't know if I could handle any more waiting! Also I am actually not going for a canon pre vizsla. I Would love the see your tutorial Vhett that would really really help! I would greatly appreciate it vod
I noticed some fairly large bubbles in the ear caps that both took large chunks out of the sides that are causing me some concern

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2015, 12:46 AM »
Looks like you have some bondo work to do!

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
Deathwatch Order #007
VRCA #61

Master Thread
Iron Phoenix Props

mizura

• Taakure Clan's skinny bastard XD
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2015, 09:57 PM »
I have a Vizsla from EA as well They are sturdy helms I'll say that! The bubble problem is yea I'd say Bondo or weathering lol

Merc #1011
Taakure clan 10/ E.M.T.S #110/ M.A.J.I.C.#141/V.R.C.A.#58/B.E.A.R.D.S.#82/KOMS #35

Vhett Naast

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2015, 10:51 PM »
I've found that something like this works well for those spots;

Works far better at filling in bigger holes like that then bondo, and once its on its as hard as a rock, far stronger then bondo.  Would still need a little bondo, or bondo spot-putty, to feather it in though..

« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2015, 11:40 AM »
Thanks for the advice I'll have to go pick some of that stuff up. I managed to cut the excess material around the base off yesterday so I can now fit it on my head and the fit seems good. It's going to need some padding to keep from wobbling around but for now I'm very happy with the fit.

« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2015, 08:32 PM »
quick update: I cut off all the excess around the bottom edge now ready to be sanded as well as cut out most of the visor other than the small chunk at the bottom to ensure i don't warp it at all. I have begun sanding down the imperfections on the surfaces its going to need more sanding before i get to the bondo stage. Definitely a lot of work but lots of fun to work on.

« Reply #11 on: Mar 29, 2015, 02:49 PM »
Progress is moving along getting close to being able to throw on some primer and get to the paint!  ;D I have filled all the imperfections and sanded it all back and am quite happy with the results so far. I decided to cut out the rear vents and plan to glue some black mesh on the inside to make sure my hair doesn't show through.

I did a rough sketch in marker where i plan to put some wookie claw marks that have actually cut into the helmet a bit but the idea of gouging into the helmet like that makes me a little nervous does anyone have a good technique for making realistic look claw marks? I am also in the process of using Vhett's tutorial to attach my ear caps so they can rotate i just need to find the screws i need for attaching the cannons.

« Reply #12 on: Mar 31, 2015, 12:03 AM »
WE HAVE EAR CAPS!  Thanks to Vhetts tutorial the ear caps are attached i still need to glue in the bolts but for now they are stuck in the just to see how it will look and it looks AWESOME! Getting so close to paint I can hardly wait!! still have to attach the cannons to the ear caps which may prove to be tough as I am having difficulties finding chicago screws like Vhetts tutorial called for hopefully I can find them soon I am stoked to see this thing all finished. already so proud of the progress  :D

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Mar 31, 2015, 12:25 PM »
Hardware stores have Chicago screws but they are called post screws at the hardware store, or if you have a leather craft store they have bulk Chicago screws.

QMU#084
« Reply #14 on: Mar 31, 2015, 01:26 PM »
Thanks vod I'll keep looking around for them I'm sure one of these Canadian hardware stores will have them!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!