Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

The Mandalorian Comms Project

• 37 Replies

Fenruul

• Blinking lights and pocket sand.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions
« on: Mar 16, 2015, 05:50 PM »

What This Project Is
The Mandalorian Comms Project is a project based around a collective building of soundscapes based around Star Wars "radio chatter", built of cybernetic sounds, existing Star Wars sounds, and potential voice. The aim of this project is to create these soundscapes so they can be used on costumes, at events and booths, and fan films.

How this Project Works
The project will be based around downloadable soundscapes that can be formatted into one track or a playlist that are usable within Star Wars Costumes. My recommendation is to have a phone or MP3 player that can accept these mp3 files and format them into playlists, and pipe them through a speaker, either plug (such as an Aker Voice Amp) or bluetooth (an iFrogz Tadpole, a magnificent pouch friendly speaker: http://www.amazon.com/iFrogz-Tadpole-wireless-Bluetooth-Speaker/dp/B00HY803OY).

Mandalorian Comms have been said to be inside the helmet within a few canon sources, but with the creative liberty this organization takes and as these comms are actual squad correspondence, it can be said that this comm usage can be used as "background noise" for effect and should really be limited to Swarzy sounds and not much voice excluding "background chatter". This may potentially change, but for now I feel it would be best that we stick to computer and radio style sounds.

What You Can Do
If you would like to contribute to this project, please send me a PM or leave a response on here. When this project first started, I was receiving a large sum of PMs based around just voice acting, but please understand that this project does not involve just voice acting, it also needs background noise, soundscapes and sound effects to create a final project. As this project is getting started again (April 19th, 2016) please understand that voice acting is A POSSIBILITY, and will be addressed in the future.

What I currently need are databases of sound files and sound effects (radio static, beeps, cybernetic/cyberpunk effects), but if you are handy with an audio program such as Audacity or Ableton, please by all means feel free to add your own compositions and ideas.

Current resources we have are the "Current Sound Files" section in this post, and we also have a complete selection of separated audio tracks from the Geonosis level of Republic Commando, which contains radio chatter from troops, which will be posted soon.

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS RELATING TO THIS PROJECT, PLEASE PM OR ASK HERE

Current Sound Files:
Test File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/remp19yfcm5az3q/mandalorian_chatter_test_1.wav?dl=0
Comm Start Up- Programming Initiated: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rpxztqn4yka8see/Mandalorian_Comm_Startup_1.wav?dl=0
Comm Start Up- Please Stand By: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oldfrjkxaa74p5r/Mandalorian%20Comm%20Start%20Up%202.wav?dl=0
Comm Transfer 1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gts6py3jpou20qe/Mandalorian%20Chatter-%20Transfer%201.wav?dl=0
Comm Transfer 2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ww01z9bgbvw1trp/Mandalorian%20Chatter-%20Transfer%202.wav?dl=0

« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2016, 11:21 AM by Fenruul » Logged
"That guy who is sometimes around."

Fenruul

Re: Continuous Comm Chatter Project Thread UPDATE 03/17/15
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2015, 09:27 PM »
03/17/15 NEW FILE ADDED

Comm Start Up- Programming Initiated
Comm Transfer 1
Comm Transfer 2

The first is a linear sound compilation to play at the beginning of loops and playlists.
The second and third are loops to play inbetween tracks to give the appearance of scanning, changing frequencies, and timing out on radio transmissions.

These are copyright free and open to use, as is all of my comm files excluding demo.

« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2015, 11:55 PM by Fenruul » Logged

Fenruul

Re: Mandalore Sound Systems Comm Chatter UPDATE 03/17/15
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2015, 03:32 PM »
03/18/15 NEW FILE ADDED

Comm Start Up- Please Stand By
Same as last start up: Play at the beginning of your sound loops.

bassplaya

• Nothing worth doing is easy
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2015, 03:45 PM »
Just a couple of quick questions, are you looking for more of a radioplay type script or random chatter. Also is this just a passive detail for background noise

Fenruul

« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2015, 04:29 PM »
Just a couple of quick questions, are you looking for more of a radioplay type script or random chatter. Also is this just a passive detail for background noise
Hi there, it's going to be a mixture of both, and these current clips can be used as background detail if you please, but bear in mind they were made originally for cuts inbetween tracks. We're working on scripts right now in Muraan, and all help would be greatly appreciated.

bassplaya

• Nothing worth doing is easy
Re: Mandalore Sound Systems Comm Chatter UPDATE 03/18/15
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2015, 12:17 PM »
Pm sent

Fenruul

« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2015, 10:45 AM »
Progress made halfway on Cantina Soundscape, expect a drop either this evening or tomorrow.

« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2015, 11:36 AM »
These are really cool!  I'm excited to see what else you come up with.  I've always used the 501st Legion soundscapes when I troop as my TIE Reserve Pilot, and they always get a good reaction.

OM#2860

Fenruul

Re: Mandalore Sound Systems Comm Chatter UPDATE 03/22/15
« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2015, 09:42 PM »
03/22/15 NEW FILE ADDED

Comm Chatter- Casntina V1

A basic comm chatter in which you can add your sound files over if you please, this is a basic Cantina soundscape with four cantina songs from the Star Wars Universe. There will be a V2 version of this with more filling sounds and a possible chatter log.

Project down the line is now a Comm Break Tool Box using sounds recorded by me. Alongside that will be a Start Up Tool Box.

« Reply #9 on: Apr 14, 2015, 06:58 AM »
Morning bud, If you're still looking for voices to add I'm game. Drop me a PM with a few script lines and a best practice method and lets get the Chat Net up!

Brute Force and Ignorance are capable of changing the universe.

Ignorance of those who have gone before, means you do not know what is impossible.

Brute Force allows you to break the rules that others can merely bend.

Lucius

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 05:33 PM »
watching with interest. I was considering running some of the republic commando mandoa chants through a filter to broadcast for some of my own loops.

Korran Orainn

• "Ke'nari buy'cese bat! Oya, vode!"
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 09:04 AM »
Really nice work so far Vod, been dying for something like this but my audio skills are awful(!)

Would be really cool to get more like yours; nice long sound clips of miscellaneous chatter. Would be cool to get some Mando'a in there! :3

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 11:49 AM »
This is so cool!! Forgive my question as im new to all this, but what would you load these sounds onto?? Is there a specific type of speaker?? Or player?? I would really like to do this with my kit. Thanks

Lucius

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 12:27 PM »
This is so cool!! Forgive my question as im new to all this, but what would you load these sounds onto?? Is there a specific type of speaker?? Or player?? I would really like to do this with my kit. Thanks

A lot of the voice amps you can get like the Aker have a seperate voice jack for connecting another sound source. Hypothetically you can hook these up to your phone and play them through your voice amp speaker for ambience.

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 02:04 PM »
Yes i was looking at the aker 1505 and saw that it can have a mic and audio source at the same time .... Ordering one today!! :)

« Reply #15 on: Jun 08, 2015, 05:03 PM »
Listened to your files.  Some good work there.  I especially like the Advance 22 and Advance 23 comms check at around 1:30 of the chatter test.  I can see how these would add to the ambiance of a troop.  Sound can often make the difference between a magical moment and some dude in a costume.

I wouldn't use them because the static, beeps and background noise would make me want to poke my eardrums out after a while.  Not putting down your work, I just know myself and this would drive me nutty.

I'm off to look for some tutorials and filters so I can do simple comms chatter.  Coming from a military background, I think I could write a good script for a merc unit.  If I have any success, I'll post them

« Reply #16 on: Jun 08, 2015, 05:40 PM »
Sorry,  I should have added, if you have any need of a new voice and I can send you wav files, I have the slightly bored, efficient, comms check, position and ops, "you have OPCON, Tango Sierra Two two seven Mike Three, you are clear to engage, I say again you are clear to engage" type blather down. Send me a PM with what you want and I'll see what I can do.

Fenruul

« Reply #17 on: Apr 04, 2016, 01:39 AM »
I'm amazed this is still up, let alone my untouched drop box has kept the original files all this time.

Does anybody have any interest in using these files or seeing about getting new ones? If I started working on this again, it'd probably be after most of my kit is finished or when I get my OM status, school hit me like a freight train so I've only now jumped back on the Mandalorian bandwagon. If anybody has any remote interest, please post here or message me and I'll get back to you.

Simmy_82

• Vash Noth
« Reply #18 on: Apr 05, 2016, 03:51 PM »
I love the idea of it!

WIPs
Helmet - Complete
Armour - Complete
Soft Parts - Complete
Weapons - Complete
Gaunts - Complete

Fenruul

« Reply #19 on: Apr 05, 2016, 04:36 PM »
Okay, this project will officially be coming back from the dead, but I'll be getting some stuff done Mando and college wise first before I start making more sound files.

Since I stopped this project I have found more and more sound banks and effects files that will be suitable for the project, and am gathering those now for resources later.

Stay tuned.

Bjourk

• Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #20 on: Apr 17, 2016, 04:48 PM »
Happy to lend my voice to this project if you're still looking.

Bjourk's All-Steel Build WIP - (Helmet build link on the jump)

Fenruul

Re: The Mandalorian Comms Project
« Reply #21 on: Apr 19, 2016, 11:22 AM »
Project is now in early reactivation stage. Please refer to the updated first post to read how this project has changed, what is new, and how you can help!

Tracyn Kelborn

• Ah, I see you've played knifey spoony before!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #22 on: Oct 31, 2016, 02:19 PM »
Loving this (^_^)

Dala Aran

• OM #1641 "Slow is smooth & smooth is fast"
  • Awards Celebration Chicago 40% increase or more Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #23 on: Mar 15, 2017, 06:40 PM »
Bumping.
These are great. I was looking to add sound to my Mando and these are perfect.
Now I just need to find a smaller amplifier. I'm using the Aker mr1700 with a usb but it's too big.
Anyone found something better?

And I found another sound file that I could add to list. I just don't know how to attach mp3 file attachment here.

« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2017, 11:23 PM by Ja'ki » Logged

Darth_Vemon

• Crush your enemies, see them driven before you...
« Reply #24 on: Mar 21, 2017, 08:15 PM »
I finally found my mising Bluetooth speaker, so that's getting installed into my comms pack ASAP, and will be running these files from my phone on a loop.  Can't wait till you get some more finished.

K'dumi haran doslanir bat vheh ures aranov.

Benjin "Farlander" Kov'nyn

Check out my fanfic:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=130493.0

Cabur Akaata #49 M5SP #22 B.O.O.M. #21 Aluminati #46

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!