Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Dragon Slayer Armor Thread

• 10 Replies

The Dragon Slayer

• See you space cowboy...
Dragon Slayer Armor Thread
« on: Mar 20, 2015, 12:48 AM »
Howdy! I'm back with yet another design...I really should stop designing new armors but it's so addicting to draw them!!

Anyway, I've currently got my base design down for what I hope will be my first full kit. I'm looking for approval on my designs to see if I could run with it and how much I should modify it.

I intend to pick up a Stalker helm from NME props, as well as a reflective green visor from one of the couples on the fourum. I'm hoping to dual spec with my main being sniper and secondary being assassin.

I was hoping to have full wraparound grieves similar to those that the clones wear in the most recent Clone Wars show. These grieves will have three small protrusions meant to be repulsor lifts. With my helmet, I'm hoping to try to replicate my spinal plates to keep the theme going, but they won't protrude much.

The back plate is going to be 3 pieces. Two plates for the back separated by the flexible spinal chord in the middle, for added flexibility. I'll have a sword, probably on my back, and a rail gun style sniper rifle. I still haven't decided on a holdout secondary, however.

That's what I've got so far, and I would very much appreciate advice.

« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2016, 05:56 PM by The Dragon Slayer » Logged
"No matter what happens, don't be sorry you were born. Even though nobody praises us, don't forget to smile in any situation. As long as you're alive there will be better things later...and there will be many." ~Bellemere

Aliit ori'shya tal'din

First kit thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=89662.0;topicseen
Hard parts: 70%
Soft Parts: 80%
Weapons: 0%

Oren-Cathal

• You cannot judge me! I am Justice itself!
Re: Sniper/Assassin design questions
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2015, 11:53 AM »
I forsee bondo work in your future. Looks good vod, I have seen the spine backplate somewhere before. Looked really cool, had thought about it myself but didn't fit what I had planned. Will be watching.

The Dragon Slayer

Re: Dragon Slayer Armor Thread
« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2016, 06:11 PM »
Ok, after almost starting a new thread twice and then finally finding this relic of a post, I've got some updates and would like more eyes and opinions. I did a little bit of window shopping on amazon last night for some soft parts for my kit. I've redacted some stuff from the previous post I made in the Muraan chapter thread.

I found this flight suit that I'm hoping is actually black like the store page says, and not this brown color. Along with this I found some nylon holsters, tactical gloves, a girth belt (though I'm not sure I need one?), and a regular belt.

And here's a couple pictures of myself because I don't know if the girth belt is for heavier people than I and I don't want to put money where I don't need it.

"No matter what happens, don't be sorry you were born. Even though nobody praises us, don't forget to smile in any situation. As long as you're alive there will be better things later...and there will be many." ~Bellemere

Aliit ori'shya tal'din

First kit thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=89662.0;topicseen

The Dragon Slayer

« Reply #3 on: Jul 25, 2016, 01:46 PM »
Just got my gloves today! Now I just gotta wait to get paid so I can order my helmet

Found some old boots that I only wore once that I've decided to use the this kit as well.

« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2016, 04:07 PM by The Dragon Slayer » Logged

Aliit ori'shya tal'din

The Dragon Slayer

« Reply #4 on: Jul 29, 2016, 02:57 AM »
So, after a good conversation with my dad, I decided to come to the forums to ask for some direction on actual creation of a kit. I need a list of basic tools that I might be able to pick up at Home Depot or Harbor Freight and a place to buy Sintra. Anything else that OMs use to build and customize their armor would be really appreciated.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din

Mavik

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #5 on: Jul 29, 2016, 08:40 PM »
        To start out girth belts have nothing to do with the size of the person. You are required to have two waist items one of which typically is an ammo belt and the other is normally a girth or a sash. The primary purpose of these is to fill the space between the bottom of the vest and the cod.

Now as far as tools that you need there are a few different options for things you could cut the sintra out with. Dremals (rotary tools) are always a great investment and will come in handy for most parts of your build. I have also used box cutters for 3mm sintra before I just had to do a couple of passes. Sand paper is always useful I normally get grits from about 60-250. Then the big one for sintra is probably the heat gun to shape the armor. You can use a few other methods to do this but the heat gun has always been my preferred method. There are a lot of options for working with sintra and you don’t necessarily need to get the most expensive tools to work it.

The Dragon Slayer

« Reply #6 on: Jul 30, 2016, 09:52 PM »
Would a single sheet of Sintra be enough for one kit of Jango armor for a 5' 7" male? I've got a chance to pick some up this Monday And need to know how much I should buy.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din

NiteWolf

• Rann Novon Cat#-2088
« Reply #7 on: Jul 30, 2016, 10:32 PM »
Depends on how big of sheet your talking about. If it a 4 foot by 8 foot sheet then yes. Should beable to get 2 or more sets out of it.

Concordia Clan Ruus'alor Sol'yc - 2020
Concordia Clan Ruus'alor - 2021

The Dragon Slayer

« Reply #8 on: Jul 31, 2016, 01:58 AM »
Depends on how big of sheet your talking about. If it a 4 foot by 8 foot sheet then yes. Should beable to get 2 or more sets out of it.

I think the store the local chapter uses sells 4x8 sheets so I'll probably get one of those.

In other news, I bought 3 different grit sandpaper sheets today, a can of some spray paint, and some painter's tape, as well as printed out and sized the templates. Here's a torso test with a plain old T-shirt on. Size is good, I think, but lemme know if it ain't.

Yo, sorry about the resting pissed face, lmao. It's force of habit and ease. I'm actually really excited about the progress I've made, just tired.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din

The Dragon Slayer

« Reply #9 on: Aug 03, 2016, 02:07 AM »
Does anyone have any tips for beveling the armor? I started cutting today and think I kinda messed up the ab plate. Not to say it looks terrible, but I don't think it's a very good job at this point.

I think the diamond came out decently enough.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #10 on: Aug 03, 2016, 10:01 AM »
Beveling looks decent, especially if you're looking for armor that's seen some action, but the basics are just basically sanding at angles.

Just keep in mind this part of the forums is for planning only, since you're getting into the actual work of the armor you should start a new thread over in the Armor Components section, or I can move this thread over there for you.  ;D

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!