Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

JR's armour build

• 38 Replies

Kar'ta Ne'tra

• Awards Special Weapons Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
JR's armour build
« on: Apr 02, 2015, 06:37 AM »
So, it's not so much of a build, as I cheated a bit and got my armour from a few suppliers.
Nonetheless, I do still have at least a little work to do.

Here is a link to my Clan WIP, with my other work going on from there:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?action=post;msg=1254073;topic=84123.0

My armour is on it's way from Kal, gaunts arrived from TMA, and I have a jet pack on order from NME.
Things are finally starting to move!

"This is the way" - Google Maps
Special Weapons Brigade
OM #1220

Kar'ta Ne'tra

• Awards Special Weapons Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: JR's armour build
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2015, 06:44 AM »
First update.  My gaunts are underway.  Trimmed up the gaunts, and fitted the toppers.  Painting is underway now, so some pre-weathering pic will me up soon.
Still need to source gaunt weapons/projectiles if the vode have any good ideas/suppliers.

« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2017, 06:39 PM by Kar'ta Ne'tra » Logged
Special Weapons Brigade
OM #1220

Mavik

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2015, 06:55 AM »
Those are very nice looking gaunts. You may want to do a bit of bondo work on the top box you have mounted to the gauntlet to give it a nice seamless appearance though. 

Kar'ta Ne'tra

« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2015, 03:35 AM »
I hear ya Mavik, the pics were a bit early on.  I just finished the base painting, ready for some damage and weathering.
It's a little different to my previous scheme, but not much.  The blue gets dulled down, so it is not going to be a glossy bling-piece!

« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2017, 06:40 PM by Kar'ta Ne'tra » Logged
Special Weapons Brigade
OM #1220

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2015, 10:08 AM »
What's the matter with your gaunts being glossy bling pieces?  :P

Anyway, very nice work so far!

Instagram: @evaarla_kal

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2015, 10:15 AM »
Looks like a good start, I see a bit of a raised area on the blue Gauntlet that could probably do with some sanding. 

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Kar'ta Ne'tra

« Reply #6 on: Apr 06, 2015, 06:12 AM »
The battle damage and weathering is underway.  Part of my back story is that some of the armour was a gift, so have different weathering on a few key items (the blue gaunt and a matching chest plate at present).
My Mando went from being crispy clean in my initial planning, to being a battle-hardened filthy warrior in no time at all!

How does it look so far?  As always, helpful and honest criticism is appreciated :)

« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2017, 06:41 PM by Kar'ta Ne'tra » Logged
Special Weapons Brigade
OM #1220

Kar'ta Ne'tra

« Reply #7 on: Apr 22, 2015, 06:10 AM »
So my armour arrived, and it's  getting the base coats less than a day later (of course).

I've shifted my gaunt build to it's own thread, as the pics on this thread are about to go nuts!

« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2017, 06:42 PM by Kar'ta Ne'tra » Logged
Special Weapons Brigade
OM #1220

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #8 on: Apr 23, 2015, 08:45 AM »
They look a bit close for MY tastes, I would trim about a quarter inch off all sides of all plates.  also the outside edges of your collar plate should line up to the outside edges of your chest plates (trimming the chest plates and not the collar plate should help with this) other than that it looks good. 

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Kar'ta Ne'tra

« Reply #9 on: Apr 24, 2015, 06:55 PM »
Chest resized, and first stage of weathering underway.

« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2017, 10:47 PM by Kar'ta Ne'tra » Logged
Special Weapons Brigade
OM #1220

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Apr 24, 2015, 11:50 PM »
I agree that they were a bit big on you from your outlines. Let's see it now that you've got 'em trimmed.

Kar'ta Ne'tra

« Reply #11 on: Apr 25, 2015, 05:21 AM »
Updated armour layout.  Excuse the face, too many Imperial Pilseners!
I think it looks about right now. Feedback much appreciated.

« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2017, 10:46 PM by Kar'ta Ne'tra » Logged
Special Weapons Brigade
OM #1220

Kar'ta Ne'tra

« Reply #12 on: Apr 27, 2015, 10:46 PM »
So I think I have my sizing correct now.  Please ignore the alignment issues in the pic below, I haven't got all of the velcro set up, or any of the screws in yet.

The blue chest plate needs a lttle shaping at the bottom corner, it almost sticks "out" at the moment.  It aligns pretty well wit hthe ab plate when the ab plate is centered.

« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2017, 10:45 PM by Kar'ta Ne'tra » Logged
Special Weapons Brigade
OM #1220

Kar'ta Ne'tra

« Reply #13 on: Apr 28, 2015, 12:07 AM »
Also, before anyone says it, my flight suit isn't on, that's just a hoodie under my vest!

Special Weapons Brigade
OM #1220

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #14 on: Apr 30, 2015, 11:13 AM »
Looks good to me.

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #15 on: Apr 30, 2015, 11:32 AM »
Ab plate needs a trim I think, just the bottom edge, say two centimetres.

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

Kar'ta Ne'tra

« Reply #16 on: Apr 30, 2015, 04:23 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys.  I was getting little lonely!
I think before I do any more wholesale cutting, I'll suit up and get a pic with the girth belt, etc in place.  I probably should have already done that by now anyway!

Special Weapons Brigade
OM #1220

Kar'ta Ne'tra

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2015, 01:03 AM »
A few update pics.  First ever fit of the top half at the same time.  I was a little anxious....
Still got work to do with the gloves, and the collar is out because I haven't attached the back plate yet, so it's floating.

« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2017, 10:50 PM by Kar'ta Ne'tra » Logged
Special Weapons Brigade
OM #1220

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2015, 09:55 AM »
I think you'll need to lower your chest, diamond, and ab so that the space between your collar and chest is consistant with the space beteen your chest and ab.  I'm assuming you're going to attach your backplate to the collar and that's why it's floating?  Everything else looks pretty good vod!   :D

Instagram: @evaarla_kal

Drako Katora

• It's fun to shoot from bell towers, very dramatic.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2015, 10:56 AM »
it does look like the ab plate could use a little bit trimmed off the bottom. maybe an 1/8" or so to start with. Also is the collar floating like that just because you're looking down at the camera is it not attached properly yet?

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2015, 11:42 AM »
Belts are too high up and are squeezing everything up, causing the floating collar plate.

Bring the girthbelt down so it is more in line with your gun belt and try again.

Kar'ta Ne'tra

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2015, 03:03 PM »
All of that makes sense.  I'll trim up the ab plate a bit and tweak everything as suggested.
Next time I take pics, I will have the back plate on, and also get someone else to take the pics so I can get proper angles.  I've just been running around like a kid in a candy shop the last few days now that it is starting to come together!

Special Weapons Brigade
OM #1220

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2015, 03:34 PM »
You coming down for wellygeddon?

If not. I may have to go to auck-geddon to see this kit.

Kar'ta Ne'tra

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2015, 04:27 PM »
I'm actually in Chch now Carid, and pretty keen to get to Welly.  I'm going to try and rustle up a few of the guys from down here to make an invasion!

Special Weapons Brigade
OM #1220

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2015, 04:40 PM »
Sweet. Have the lcals been helping you with your kit as well?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!