Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Backpacks

• 5 Replies
Backpacks
« on: Apr 08, 2015, 11:02 PM »
So, I've been absolutely losing my mind about how to design my backpack. I'm going with a fairly large flamethrower as my primary weapon (about the size of an M249 machine gun), and the idea was that I'd have a backpack instead of a jetpack. That way, I can build a fuel canister that would hold my Camelbak water supply and a hollow compartment to put my inevitable convention swag in. I've even got a really cool design that I totally didn't (I did) rip off from a miniatures game line, that I'm gonna bang together with a clone trooper backpack and see what falls out. I bought an ALICE frame for a song from my neighborhood surplus store, and I've got the dye to make all the straps black to match my flight suit. The problem is, now I have no idea how to attach the kriffing thing to myself once it's built. I've seen all kinds of pictures of you guys's armor, but how do I attach what's going to be a reasonably heavy backpack to me, and not have the shoulder straps show? Is that even a problem? Can I have shoulder straps visible outside my armor?
BTW, I've figured out how to get the "gut belt" to attach under my armor, that's super thin and I just reckoned I'd stick my abdomen plate over it and nobody would ever see it.

Edit: I'm looking at some of the Sandtrooper packs, and several of the 501st guys have their backpack straps clearly visible, but they're dyed to match the black of the undersuit. Am I losing my mind about something that isn't even an issue? That'd be just like me.

« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2015, 11:08 PM by Daonan » Logged
Re: Backpacks
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2015, 07:14 PM »
hi there i have the same idea about using the backpack to hide the water pack you know what i mean?

"if you are going through hell... Keep going"
Winston Churchill

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2015, 12:17 AM »
I'm nowhere close to worrying about a jetpack/backpack/whatever.  But could you run the shoulder straps under your armor plates?  Have you checked out the Jetpack/Backpack board?  They may have some answers there.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2015, 12:31 AM »
I'm nowhere close to worrying about a jetpack/backpack/whatever.  But could you run the shoulder straps under your armor plates?  Have you checked out the Jetpack/Backpack board?  They may have some answers there.

was your response directed to me?

"if you are going through hell... Keep going"
Winston Churchill

Jaing

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2015, 12:39 AM »
I would assume it was in response to the opening post. But it can apply to either.

I moved this thread to the appropriate board. More likely to get an answer now.

Zechs

• Overkill is underrated
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2015, 10:15 PM »
I use a jetpack for my kit and the way I keep it attached is I had two nylon straps sewn in to the front of my flak vest.  It goes over my shoulders and out a button hole on each side where it's connected to a D-ring on each.  From there my jetpack clips on.  We quickly discovered 2 bonuses to this.  1.  I don't feel the weight of my jetpack and 2.  It helps keep my backplate from floating.

AKA "Lightning Rod"

"Heh.  You survived?  I can fix that."

MMCC #1082
BOMB #41
MABEL #54
ALUMINATI #28

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!