Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First toy weapon mod

• 3 Replies

BDWC

First toy weapon mod
« on: Apr 13, 2015, 06:58 PM »
Well while waiting for resin to cure on my bucket, I started working on a weapon.
This toy gun caught my eye at a discount store

Not bad for $6...has lights and sound even!

So first, I had to disassemble it all for paint and to black out the spinning light tube that was orange. I also painted red over the green and blue LEDs so the only blaster lights would be red and yellow.

Now for some cooling fins...cut out and bonded on

Now time for paint and reassembly

But that was way too fresh looking, so time for some weathering. I took more time to paint using silver metallic over the primer so that I could easily use wire brushes, sand paper, and paint thinner, to make the wear and tear before washing it all down with some thinned acrylic tan paint rubbed into all the nooks and crannies.

I had to get creative with a removable "con-friendly" cover that let me retain the orange safety tip, but provide a cover for photo ops.

There is even a spinning red LED in the tip and a red LED for the 'pointer'
I covered up the sound hole with some offset bonded pieces of ole RAM chipsets, and added some more cut wedges to the sides as well to add more interest. I tried to pay specific attention to try and "wear" all the screws and adjustment parts in addition to the handling wear areas.

Let me know what you think!

« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 11:44 AM by BDWC » Logged

Fenrir Kyramud

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
Re: First toy weapon mod
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 2015, 04:56 PM »
Great start. You'll need to fill in the screw holes, though.

Cat# 1196
Iron Fang: #8
B.O.M.B.: #48.
V.O.T.S.: #43
Dog Lobster Supporter #46
G.O.M.O.L. #5

Bobecc DelFin

• Raquor'daan Clan
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2015, 10:59 AM »
This is awesome haha I actually just bought one of these myself. Im planning on extending the barrel with a similar sized piece of PVC bonding over the original barrel as well as the extension. I also am going to get rid of the scope and put a similarly sized real (or better looking/useable) one in its place. And of course, cover up the screw holes and speaker holes.
I want to maybe do something about the stock, but I'm not sure what.

BDWC

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2015, 07:59 PM »
Thanks! I actually forgot to fill the screw holes, as I meant to make some EVA plugs for them so I would still be able to access the real screws in case I ever wanted to take this apart.

Also, great idea about the scope! I was thinking to drill out the center a bit and put a clear plastic rod inside so you could actually see through it...not sure yet.

I too am debating weather to mod the stock with an extension (unfortunately not enough inside room to let it slide in and then extend) or to build up something more substantial over it. Let me know how yours turns out and I can learn some tips from you!

Thanks!!!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!