Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

So, let's talk ears.

• 4 Replies

Cadov

So, let's talk ears.
« on: Aug 02, 2015, 03:40 PM »
So, with a bucket ready finally to start attaching ears, cutting the visor, and bondoing, I can't help wondering if perhaps I should be considering veering from the Boba template.

Taking a long look at it, I can see how it can be done via sintra, or mdf, or perhaps even foam board and then using other materials to strengthen it, but I am curious on how other members feel about alternative designs meant to accomplish a similar appearance or theme, but through different patterns.

If I start a different ear design, is the armor going to appear lazy, or simply look technically unsound for not going with what is the known rangefinder hinge design for instance? I just ask because this is my first attempt at actually swimming in unknown waters design wise on the bucket, and I was curious on what community thoughts were.

I still have a bit of a fear of going too far from the norm with Mando armor based on that strange grey area we all play in between movie accuracy, and unacceptable alterations.

Mercy

Re: So, let's talk ears.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 02, 2015, 03:48 PM »
If everything else is stock Mando then it should be fine as long as you don't go crazy (Mickey Mouse ears, etc)
Lot's of people have modified earcaps, and I think they add a lot to the individuality of the design. And no, rangefinders are not mandatory.

You should go through the finished helmet thread up top of the section and see what others have done.

You know who I am. Even a monster such as you has nightmares.
Before you die...say my name...

Master Build Thread

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #2 on: Aug 02, 2015, 03:56 PM »
hi cadov, go check out the helmet section wip's finished helms ect. you should come away reassured on how much modding you can do and still be totally acceptable. I think you might be surprised. good luck with your build.

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Aug 02, 2015, 04:16 PM »
Helmets are a glorious way to stand out... Unless you're me then armor color is! Lol I do have a lovely addiction to helmets though!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Cadov

« Reply #4 on: Aug 02, 2015, 04:40 PM »
Got it, that's a relief. I was planning on a possibly more angular/boxy style on the ear caps, which rules out the sweeping surfaces of a Jango or Boba style cap. That and the desire to put in a couple ultrabright LED lights has me throwing the original templates out the window so to speak.

This is my first bucket, so bare with it, but I was thinking for left (Helmet User's Left) ear doing 2 LEDs housed in almost a trapezoid style enclosure and then fix that to an "I" shaped base plate leading down to the jaw. For the right, a similar "I" shaped baseplate with an MDF hinge and top half circle or vertical "D" style plate over top, each with cooling holes drilled throughout and dremelled to look like they are embedded at an angle... Hard to explain, hopefully not as hard to do. This is all going towards a heavy set of armor, so I figure the less sweeping, curving ears and a more blockey, no-nonsense style would work well

Any other tips on making a bucket look like it is intended for a heavy armor style would of course be welcome!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!