Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Malakier's Desert Ops Mk 2 - Approved! Now for upgrades

• 259 Replies

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • Hate'alor
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
So, after wearing my kit for a minimum of 44hrs (total) in 4 days for C7, a number of issues popped up that need addressing. First and foremost, my kit left me with nasty bruises on my forearms and legs (and a few blisters) due to my gauntlets and shin plates being too small. The more I look at other people's kits (and my own), the less I like my shins (plus...just wearing them bruised my knees and calves, and also left me with blisters on the later). And I've always thought my left gauntlet looked rushed. Finally, the fans in my back plate were the wrong type for the purpose I was using them for, and changing fans would be a major pain (note to self: next time, don't superglue in the fans). As such...I'm rebuilding all of the above. Plus my ab plate and collar, because I think I came up with some ideas that at least look like they give better mobility. I'm also starting brain storming on a survival pack for when I eventually go for desert ops. Currently, I'm in the process of getting ready to (hopefully) move to a new place, so there won't be any real work for a while, but the planning stage has begun! Goal is to have mk 2 done by C8.

Initial sketches (not to any sort of scale):

Legacy-inspired backplate, and RC-inspired pack.

Jango-style shins, Legacy-inspired ab plate, and SWG inspired collar plate.

As much as I love my current bucket, Mk 2 might include a new, custom built one. Or heavy modifications to my current bucket. I haven't made up my mind about that though.

Update: 4-25-15
Did a cardstock mock up approximately the correct size of a design for a segmented back plate. It started out life as a SWG Mando back plate. Will need to make a duct tape dummy before I go much further though (already did one back plate solo with no dummy, not going to attempt a second)

« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2018, 10:30 PM by Malakier Vhett » Logged

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
Re: Malakier's Desert Ops Mk 2
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2015, 06:24 PM »
I like the ideas you've got going! I'll bet they'll look pretty sweet on your kit ;)

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 29, 2015, 01:06 PM »
Nice designs!  I especially like the backplate   :D

WIP Thread!   http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=82808.0

More pictures on Instagram: @evaarla_kal

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • Hate'alor
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 12:13 AM »
So, slight update. Did some refining of my back plate design, and an initial mock up of my new collar plate done.

Lengthened the back plate about 3", and reworked the bottom couple plates to make it 'flow' better

Started with the SWG collar plates, and tweaked them to fit my vision. Still needs some refining of course.

Drako Katora

• It's fun to shoot from bell towers, very dramatic.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 11:35 PM »
So the idea of the functioning backpack got to you eh? It will be a nice touch  :D

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • Hate'alor
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 01:46 AM »
I always planned a functional backpack...just when I get it done that's the question. I'm actually leaning more towards a sandtrooper - style pack then the RC pack, but I've got a lot of work before I'm ready to settle on a design. And I'm not going to be able to do that work until I geg a new place. Good news isi think I found the house I want to buy! Hopefully starting the process of buying it tomorrow.

Anyway, since I forgot to include it, here's some more progress from this weekend:

Starting to lean away from having shin armor, and going with this for a knee plate. It's actually a RC knee, that I plan on tweaking a bit. I like the amount of coverage it provides. Might be a bit of a pain in the shebs to hold in place though

Mk.2 v.1 ab plate. As you might be able to tell, I'm going for a legacy influenced look with this kit (without going full-blown legacy). One issue that I realized might pop up is that 6mm Sintra might be too thick to really work well, and 3mm melts too easily to be of much use where I live. So this might have to wait until I start working steel. This plate is too big, but can be trimmed down easily enough later. It serves it's purpose for prototyping.

On an only slightly related note, made up these hemet macros so I can use them as a base for prototyping my eventual helmet visor. exact finished design will depend on what I do with my helmet, of course.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 02:07 AM by Malakier Vhett » Logged
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 01:26 AM »
Everything's looking really good! Looking forward to see this all done :D

QMU #025 | Y.K.O.M.S #02/K.O.M.S #046 |MA #146 - 24er |Writer's Bloc #017

Havelock

• The Motivat'alor | I've got a link for that.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #7 on: Jun 02, 2015, 09:48 PM »
Eagerly looking forward to seeing more, vod.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett | Mk I | Mk II | Havelock Fiction | Invasions - 21

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • Hate'alor
« Reply #8 on: Jun 03, 2015, 11:20 PM »
I'm in the middle of yet another backplate redesign, as well as tweaking my ab plate design a bit. The only 'progress' of note is that I have another knee design mocked up:

This is a standard Galaxies-style knee plate. I like the 'primary/secondary' plate look, but the coverage of the primary plate i a bit skimpy for my tastes. Might try something that's sort of a cross between this, and the RC knee next.

Since the house hunt continues, my next major project is mocking up my custom buy'ce, which will eventually replace my beloved Juggernaut. The juggernaut is awesome, but it's size is causing a lot of headache for me (semi literally...)

Kando Falco

• the Clan Smith
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Jun 05, 2015, 07:09 PM »
You know there are ways to get superglue to debond.  If you want to get stuff apart just let me know.  Sometimes its as easy as a hammer because CA is brittle but hard.  Intense heat will make it depond as well.  Sometimes a blow torch or just a heat gun. Ive found laying down piping hot glue over a CA bond will cause it to deteriorate.

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • Hate'alor
« Reply #10 on: Jun 05, 2015, 08:13 PM »
You know there are ways to get superglue to debond.  If you want to get stuff apart just let me know.  Sometimes its as easy as a hammer because CA is brittle but hard.  Intense heat will make it depond as well.  Sometimes a blow torch or just a heat gun. Ive found laying down piping hot glue over a CA bond will cause it to deteriorate.
Yeah, I know, but in order to get my fans out of my back plate, I would litterally have to destroy the entire housing they are in. And I like the idea of a segmented backplate for a desert ops trooper. More flexible, and breaths a bit better. Though a survival pack will counteract that somewhat (depending on my pack design)

Kando Falco

• the Clan Smith
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Jun 05, 2015, 08:15 PM »
If I had to do it I would go in through that back.  Then you will never really see where you had to do surgery.  But a segmented pack works.  I just like how the built in life support to the backplate leaves you with flexibility.  Ofcourse the larger pack might help offset the comments you get about your helm.

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • Hate'alor
« Reply #12 on: Jun 05, 2015, 08:37 PM »
If I had to do it I would go in through that back.  Then you will never really see where you had to do surgery.  But a segmented pack works.  I just like how the built in life support to the backplate leaves you with flexibility.  Ofcourse the larger pack might help offset the comments you get about your helm.
Flexibility with loadout is why I went with the cooling system in my back plate. Whether I'm using a pack (once I make it) or not, I'll still have my cooling system.

I was a genius and glued (admittedly, not really intentionally) my fans in on 5 sides. All 4 sides of the fans, and when I put the 'mounting plates' for my hoses in, they also got glued to the fan housing a bit.

Avidem

• ba'slanar nayc vod bat te kyrbej
« Reply #13 on: Jun 05, 2015, 08:38 PM »
Love the macros. Those are the same type I want for my kit. Can't wait to see it finished.

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • Hate'alor
« Reply #14 on: Jun 07, 2015, 03:52 PM »
So...went to print out the templates for my mk 2 helmet...and my computer decided to be on crack. It won't print the WoF templates at all, and the Pep templates it prints solid black. Tech fail ftw?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!