Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Malakier's Desert Ops Mk 2 - Approved! Now for upgrades

• 264 Replies

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • Hate'alor
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions
Re: Malakier's Desert Ops Mk 2 - Going Metal
« Reply #225 on: Feb 12, 2018, 12:09 AM »
Loving the progress!  One day, I want to make a set of metal armor as well.
Do it! Definately has it's downsides, but mostly those have been caused by my deep rooted compulsion to make everything fit perfectly...which...when you add padding, strapping, etc, inevitablly means it's too small.

Anyway! 2 updates! The first is something you'll never see. I made a padded vest to go under my flughtsuit, because my chest and back armor have been threatening to poke a hundred not so tiny holes in me

It's quick. It's dirty. It's very effective. I also sewed quilted fabric padding inside the legs of my flight suit at my knees for additional padding there, but i don't have pictures.

After some more adjusting to my knee plates to keep them from crippling me just walking around, i decided to do a full kit up of my kit in it's current state to see what i need to adjust or change.

Still missing kamas, girth belt, and spats to cover my boot laces (actually thinking i'll go with low gaiters, because that will ultimately help when i upgrade to brigades). I also have a number of tweaks to make to get everything just so, but i'm getting closer. With any luck, by the end of the month i'll be ready for pre-pre-app pictures.

Kol Var'Das

• Beanpole
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #226 on: Feb 12, 2018, 01:33 AM »
You keep me in suspense. In the end, it must be submitted to me for disposal. How unfortunate  :P It's coming along! Get some weathering on those soft parts!

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • Hate'alor
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #227 on: Feb 24, 2018, 02:04 AM »
No pictures of weathering on my soft parts or much else for that matter. Been pushing hard to try to take pre-app pictures this weekend at my clan's AP.

Sample of my weathering:

Both these pieces were weathered with the exact same paint and technique. Difference in apperances is due to the color i used for my wash ("maui sand" chaulk paint) being fairly close to the color of my green. Eventually i'll add more layers or wash in other colors, but that's a long term plan.

Home made rope girth belt, made without any glue. Eventually i'll probably make a tutorial for it, because all the current tutorial i can find involve lots of glue. This is after coffee staining

New laceless boots so i don't need to make gaiters yet.

Left boot is brand new. Right boot has been hit wit 60 grit sandpaper.

J'Khara Vontess

• Ever heard of shock and awe? You're looking at it
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 40+ hrs of Charity Work
« Reply #228 on: Feb 24, 2018, 02:10 AM »
You make me want a metal kit. I think the boots will work out well. Can't wait to see it all together!

Kol Var'Das

• Beanpole
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #229 on: Feb 25, 2018, 12:44 PM »
Can't wait to see it all together!

Who're you kidding, you'll see it done before us  ;) Those boots look perfect! Almost there!

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • Hate'alor
« Reply #230 on: Feb 26, 2018, 10:32 AM »
Took first round of pre-app pictures. Figured i'd throw them here for more feedback. My clan pre-app said more soft part weathering (particularly on my ammo pouches), watch the bunching of my flightsuit and vest, and make sure my vest is straight when i kit up

Go ahead. Crush my dreams of ever getting this thing approved. I can take it

Den Barren

• Meg cuyir ogir at akaanir a te akaan Tio'r.
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #231 on: Feb 26, 2018, 10:44 AM »
With as weathered as your plates are, Id dirty up the flightsuit more as well. Especially around the bottom of the pant legs. I would also perhaps add a light black wash to the boots.

But, wow!!! Awesome kit vod!

"Tion ke'gyce ner kad al'ijaat?"~What guides my sword if not honor?

Backstory
WIP Links
YouTube Mando Armor Tutorial Channel

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • Hate'alor
« Reply #232 on: Feb 26, 2018, 10:56 AM »
Entire kit has currently been weathered with "maui sand" chaulk paint (basically a grey/brown). I think before i retake pictures i'm going to reweather everything with actual black paint. That should show better on my tan soft parts. That is the biggest issue right now with color. The other wash is close enough to the tan that it blends together in pictures.

I'm also going to scuff my ammo pouches and boots more. My canteen case (which i have reason to believe saw use in WWII) is far more weathered then my ammo pouches (which, while made in 1977, were prestine when i got them)

Ruus bal'Neta

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018
« Reply #233 on: Feb 26, 2018, 11:54 AM »
I saw the weathering on your softs up close so I know its there. But like you said, it blends with the fabric color and doesn't stand out from a distance. You should be okay with a dark brown or darker tan color.

You know what you need to do and its just tiny fixes. You'll have this approved no problem.

Tra'alor, Manda'galaar Clan / OM #1686 1/12/17 / Invasions: 114
Ruus bal'Neta - Brigade Member #253 - Vanguard Division / Shock Infantry / Droid Hunter (MMCC 1st approved 1/18/18)
Kyram Tyrahr #1686B approved 11/23/18
CAO Team
Former Ruus'alor (2018)

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • Hate'alor
« Reply #234 on: Feb 26, 2018, 11:56 AM »
I'm having the same problem with my tans as people woth black have...how is that fair?  >:(  :P

Kol Var'Das

• Beanpole
« Reply #235 on: Feb 26, 2018, 02:34 PM »
Kill it with fire  :P kidding vod. Charcoal, maybe?

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #236 on: Feb 26, 2018, 03:09 PM »
Softs look weathered to me. Do recall that you have to adjust your eyes for the sun glare on pictures which washes out lighter colour fabrics...
For example - those boots look pristine in the pre-app pics - yet you have the before and after picture to show they are clearly weathered.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

WIP's: EC, Twi'lek, Demolitions

J'Khara Vontess

• Ever heard of shock and awe? You're looking at it
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 40+ hrs of Charity Work
« Reply #237 on: Feb 27, 2018, 02:23 PM »
Who're you kidding, you'll see it done before us  ;) Those boots look perfect! Almost there!

What? I can't put up sassy words of encouragement for the mando I live with?  :P
#wifeprivileges

Looking good Mal!

Kol Var'Das

• Beanpole
« Reply #238 on: Feb 27, 2018, 11:10 PM »
What? I can't put up sassy words of encouragement for the mando I live with?  :P
#wifeprivileges

Looking good Mal!

I'm watching you two...

Havelock

• The Motivat'alor | I've got a link for that.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #239 on: Feb 28, 2018, 08:17 AM »
Dude, peeking in the windows like that is called stalking, these days.   :P

Mal, this is coming together really nicely.  Especially with some of the weathering you've shown me on your soft parts.  You're really, really close, vod.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett | Mk I | Mk II | Havelock Fiction | Invasions - 23

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!