Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Malakier's Desert Ops Mk 2 - Approved! Now for upgrades

• 264 Replies

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Malakier's Desert Ops Mk 2 - Approved! Now for upgrades
« Reply #250 on: Mar 19, 2018, 06:52 AM »
New armor looks really good, vod!

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #251 on: Mar 19, 2018, 02:29 PM »
Segmented could work. Mine is a cod attached to a sintra belt by fabric so it can move. Just an idea.

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #252 on: Jul 29, 2018, 11:01 AM »
Upgrades at last!

Made a new cod, so my suggestion from app is finally addressed (also, this cod is way more comfortable). Made new pauldrons (so I look a bit beefier), made arm wraps, and upgraded to better gloves. And I converted my gauntlets to clamshells

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #253 on: Jul 29, 2018, 11:42 AM »
Love the upgrades, vod!

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #254 on: Sep 11, 2018, 07:00 PM »
More updates! This time, new pouches (courtesy of Dresdon)

Started by painting them white and beating them up to look like salvaged Clone pouches

Then masked them and painted yellow (decided to mix it up a little and not paint them all the exact same)

Then it was time for green. Man, those 2 that are yellow with green accent are bright...

(Apparently I forgot to take pics of the weathering progress). Because of the size of the larger 2, I decided to put them on thigh straps instead of my belt. While I was at it, I had some Cryoban grenades I have been wanting to add, so I made my right thigh strap double as a bandolier for three of those. I used some wide woven belt I found at Joann's with 1" wide cloth strapping over the top, and used metal parachute buckles I found at Joann's as the closure.

Finished product, with belt pouches on my belt (I forgot to put on one of the cloth pouches, next to the canteen. It is on now)

First troop with them all. Thigh straps kept sliding down so I will be adding straps to tie them to my ammo belt. The left thigh strap I was already planning on  doubling as a leg strap for the mare's leg holster that will eventually be there so no big deal.

In addition, I have also started templating out a scratch built Glie-44 blaster, and working on new boot/leg wraps (to go with new, more comfortable combat-style boots)

« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2018, 09:00 PM by Malakier Vhett » Logged
Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #255 on: Sep 11, 2018, 08:39 PM »
Vod, you continue to amaze! 

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
« Reply #256 on: Sep 11, 2018, 09:00 PM »
Fixed a broken img.

Vod, you continue to amaze! 
Thanks. You know what they say. Fake it till you make it

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
« Reply #257 on: Sep 17, 2018, 02:07 PM »
Trying to get better about keeping this up to date, so here is a minor update

Got new boots. Reebok brand combat-style boots. Much more comfortable then the boots I have been using, and look more like something a desert ops Mando would wear, imo.

However, those laces pose a problem, which means it is time to start my upgrade to lower leg and boot wraps. First thing I did (and sadly I forgot to take any pictures of it) was figure out roughly how I was going to do them on the boots. Try to get any trimming done right off the bat. Then, I like my wraps to be a bit ragged looking,  so I always start by sewing a fray-stop stitch around the perimeter.

Then I frayed them a bit by hand, and did another test before progressing further.

I know there is a bit of zipper showing at the bottom, but per CRLs, since it is the same color as the boot and on the inside of the foot I technically don't have to cover it at all, so I am going to call it good. For now at least.

After this I washed them to soften the fabric and finish fraying the edges, trimmed them up again, and coffee stained them.

I need a bigger pot....also, there is about 3 cups of old coffee grounds between these 2 pots. Boiled the water with grounds in, added fabric, simmered for about 3hrs, stiring occasionally. I have found keeping the grounds in adds a subtle "embedded dirt" look to some parts and generally creats a nice weathering effect. Added some vinegar towards the end. Drained, rinsed off coffee grounds with cool water, rung out, and hung to dry. Finally result:

Since I intend for these to look like trophies taken from Tusken raiders and repurposed for myself, I love the look. Might have to redye my arm wraps in fact.

Up next will be final weathering, sewing Velcro on where needed, and gluing on the parts that will be permanently glued. I am still debating between sewing Velcro straight on to my flights for the leg portion, or making a sort of gaiter to attach the wraps to. That will come after the boot wraps though

Anyway, that is all for now

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #258 on: Sep 17, 2018, 06:18 PM »
Looks cool!

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Rakesh

• I like me. - Michael J Caboose
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #259 on: Sep 27, 2018, 04:18 PM »
Awesome!!!

Rah'Kash "The MercKnight"
MMCC # 2655

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
« Reply #260 on: May 30, 2019, 12:10 AM »
Wow. It's been even longer since i updated this then I thought...well, here goes. photo dump time? I'll keep it brief (i have progress pics of everything but I won't bore you all with that)

Kama. Pre Weathering

New Mare's Leg in progress

New realistic Westar 35 in progress.

Added details to Cryoban grenades

New holster set up. Pre-weathering

Test fit of new holsters and kama.  Also new thigh strap. Both have coffee stain, but still needs acrylic wash. Using a Westar J'khara has that she hasn't started finishing yet while I finish painting mine.

Hopefully all of this in-progress stuff (along with a couple other small projects not shown) will be finished this next weekend. Only one that might not be is the new mare's leg. Still need to add the lever loop, some greeblies, and paint it up.  That could take a while. Once most of this stuff is done, I've got another batch of upgrades waiting in the wings. Goal is to have most/all of my upgrades for brigades done by the end of July.

Vexos

• Because we must.
  • Awards 300 Troops Celebration Anaheim 2022 200 troops 250 Troops 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #261 on: May 30, 2019, 02:03 PM »
Looking good vod!

Official Invasions: 265
Official Member #1132
Force Hunter/ Brigade Member #291
Manda'galaar Clan

Arctic Ops WIP:
https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174054.msg2027502#msg2027502

Post Imperial WIP:
https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=200180.0

Straka Zulu

« Reply #262 on: May 30, 2019, 02:30 PM »
Sweet upgrades!

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #263 on: May 30, 2019, 06:21 PM »
Awesome stuff vod

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
« Reply #264 on: May 31, 2019, 07:11 PM »
Small update. Finished my new pistol.
Before:

After:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!