Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mandalore the Indomitable build.

• 21 Replies

Ruusaar Cin

• Oya aliit Hett'ciri!
  • Awards Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Mandalore the Indomitable build.
« on: Apr 30, 2015, 01:15 AM »
So I tried to start this topic once before, but the server went down and I lost it all and I was too lazy to retype it. Since I'm trying to not be such a hermit anymore, here goes round two!

I started my Mandalore the Indomitable build over a year ago now, but it was pretty much just the cloak and mask until close to Celebration, where I wore the "full" kit for the first time. There's still a lot of things that I want to do to it, mostly around the gloves. Getting the correct colour gloves and adding the handplates and wrist armour. The boots need an upgrade and I need to do more with the belts. The correct brown balaclava arrived while I was down at Celebration, so I need to re rig the mask with brown straps, but overall I'm very happy with this as version 1.

In no particular order, pictures!

Reference pic. Got to love the colourists those days. Mandalore is always a solid shade of brown,
but always a different solid shade of brown, so choosing what browns to use where was interesting.

This ended up being a major source of colour reference.

Fabric choice is very important. I wanted the outer robe to be heavy but still have a nice drape to it. I spent a long time wandering a fabric warehouse to find these materials.
Found this interesting gold cloth for the outer robe, and a heavy brown upholstery fabric to use as a lining. I love the way it turned out.

Test fittings.

The mask was sculpted in clay and then cast in resin. I didn't do to much cleanup on it, since I wanted it to have that rustic feel.
(shamelss advertisement, I have some casts left over ;) )

The painted mask, along with my Revan mask.

Test fitting the mask. The shoulders are squares of leather tied together with leather lacing and backed with even more leather so it all holds it's shape.
(there's a lot of leather in this kit)

V1 "Hero" axe. This one is solid sintra, and it's pretty much a legitimate weapon. I have since made a V2 "stunt" version out of foam to travel with and use at cons.

My elegant and finely crafted burlap potato sack clothes. The references for this "combat" version come mostly from one of the last panels of the comic, and it's also where I drew the colour pallet from. The leather I bought for the loincloth stiffened up a LOT when I dyed it, so it's pretty much molded in that shape. True to the action figure I guess. The bracers are a real pain, since they lace up and take a few minutes and help to get in and out of. I don't LOVE this outfit yet, but the outer robe makes up for it.

Test fitting with almost everything. The hose connectors for the front and the backpack aren't there yet.

Best for last , until the Celebration photos show up. The full kit minus axe at Fan Expo Vancouver, before Celebration.

TK 5159, 501st: Badlands Garrison

Xyyyr Black

• The REAL diamond collector
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: Mandalore the Indomitable build.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 30, 2015, 05:45 PM »
DUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuUUUUUUUUDE, you are the first to ever get this far in one of the mandalore costumes.. I LOVE EEEEEEET!

++The jawalorian++

"Who am I? Ha! I am no one, I am a dark memory, I am your worst fear... I am the dark destructor, the haunter.. the lost one" -Xyyyr

Ruusaar Cin

• Oya aliit Hett'ciri!
  • Awards Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 03:40 AM »
Thanks! I'm glad you like it. The bar for me was set by the other amazing crusaders I've seen here on the Mercs, I'm just trying my best to reach that same level.

First Celebration pic with the full gear and axe!

(also, was my neckseal sticking out like that the whole time? Osik)

« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 03:45 AM by Ruusaar Cin » Logged

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 07:36 AM »
So nice to finally get to see it! It's such a shame we didn't get that picture! :(

Superb work! 8)

Obalon

• My salvation is my weapon
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 06:11 PM »
OH MY GOD!!  :o I absolutely love it! It's so good to see a Mandalore kit esp this far and crusade era. WOW!!! GREAT JOB!!!!

Obalon Bralor Valus

Ruusaar Cin

• Oya aliit Hett'ciri!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 07:29 PM »
Thanks everyone! I'm glad you all like it! I'm trying to make this kit the best it can be, so if you've got any suggestions or nitpicks about how I could improve it, I'd love to hear them.

Tier

• Sometimes I'm hungry, other times I'm asleep.
  • Awards Beastmaster Brigade Member Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. EnviroOps
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 04:12 PM »
AWESOME!

Mountain Ops #001 Beast Hunter #013 M.A.C.K. Daddy #002 Mando-Tough #037 B.E.A.R.D.S. #100

Morlog

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 04:17 PM »
That is a fine bit of craftsmanship there sir.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 05:02 PM »
Looks like you just walked out of the pages, dude. Amazing!

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

mobcake

• "We Mando boys like to show we've been in action"
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 02:59 PM »
 :o :o :o

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 11:56 AM »
Outstanding work! i too am super pleased to see others in supreme mandalores. Like you said, the outer robe really makes it. delighted that you constructed it with all of the layers. It really makes the presence of these characters come to life. super jazzed!

Nirob

• What doesn't kill me dies.
  • Awards 40% increase or more Order of the Ori'Ramikad Force Hunter Brigade Member Skittles is the award for the most colourful picture of Mandos. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 07:41 AM »
Wow. I am so impressed. Now I want to make one myself.

mobcake

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 07:52 AM »
Where did you get your boots, if you mind me asking?

Ruusaar Cin

• Oya aliit Hett'ciri!
« Reply #13 on: Jun 07, 2015, 12:41 PM »
Thanks everyone!

I think the boots were from Dark Knight Armoury. They're pretty cheap, but they've been useful.

mobcake

« Reply #14 on: Jun 07, 2015, 10:20 PM »
Thanks everyone!

I think the boots were from Dark Knight Armoury. They're pretty cheap, but they've been useful.

Thanks! Are they a purple color? It's difficult to tell through the pictures. I'm asking because I am looking at possibly starting a Royal Guard costume for the 501st and those boots might work if they're purple

Vhett Naast

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #15 on: Jun 07, 2015, 11:56 PM »
Color me impressed man, that is one mighty fine kit!  8)  8)  8)

Kar'ta Ne'tra

• Awards Special Weapons Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #16 on: Jun 08, 2015, 01:53 AM »
VERY nice kit.
I want to docan Indominatible kit myself but will need serious help with the robes. Yours looks fantastic, vod!

"This is the way" - Google Maps
Special Weapons Brigade
OM #1220

Ruusaar Cin

• Oya aliit Hett'ciri!
« Reply #17 on: Jun 09, 2015, 02:59 AM »
The boots are brown, it's just the light making them look purple. Sorry.

The robe was sewn from a simple off the shelf costume pattern. I think it was supposed to be a wizard or a vampire or something. I just left the hood off, rounded the sleeves up a bit and gave it some extra length. The sewing's not actually that good, but I've hidden the worst of it under the shoulders. Honestly, the fabric choice is the most important part of making it look good.

Nagra Shysa

• member 290
  • Awards Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #18 on: Jun 17, 2015, 01:14 PM »
Very impressive! You mentioned about problems with your coif, now maybe I have an improval for you.

Did you ever consider using one of these:
http://armstreet.com/store/armor/padded-arming-cap-coif

I MISS YOU MY FRIEND!
"Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum."  - I'm still alive, but you are dead. I remember you, so you are eternal.

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #19 on: Jun 17, 2015, 04:17 PM »
That is an outstanding build, makes me want to do one from that era now :)

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides

Ruusaar Cin

• Oya aliit Hett'ciri!
« Reply #20 on: Jun 29, 2015, 01:34 PM »
Ooh, that coif is much closer to what I need! Thanks for the link.

« Reply #21 on: Jul 06, 2015, 12:01 PM »
Wow!! I plan to build an Early Era kit and you've given me some incredible inspiration and ideas.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!