Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Imperial Supercommando helmet - modding for custom kit

• 16 Replies

Jaegun Clark

• #ISCsAreMandosToo
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
Originally I wasn't too sold on this design of helmet, but over time (and while coming up with ideas for my character's backstory) it grew on me. I 3d-printed the Imperial Supercommando helmet using files from Killonious on Thingiverse, and here it is after many, many, many hours of spray puttying, body filling and sanding.

Here's what's planned - not yet completely set on the green, but the other parts of the colour scheme (red arrow, white dome, black/charcoal mandibles) I'm fairly set on. I've seen App Team members acknowledge on the Q&A Board that these helmets can be used for custom kits if the vertical part of the "T" complies with the "1/3rd visible" rule, and that's about as specific an answer I was able to find.

Do you guys think this'd fit that rule?

« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2017, 08:03 AM by Jaegun Clark » Logged

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Imperial Supercommando helmet - modding for custom kit
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2017, 10:30 AM »
That’d be fine Vod, That’s more than enough to comply.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2017, 12:39 PM »
That's good to know. Was thinking of ordering one from HSP for my next build.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Jaegun Clark

• #ISCsAreMandosToo
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2017, 09:57 PM »
That’d be fine Vod, That’s more than enough to comply.

Glad to hear that from someone on the App Team ^_^

Now, as many wise men and women have told me: "You can always cut more off." With that (and Bowfanny's "more than enough") in mind, I cut a little narrower than I indicated in the picture. I've also printed off the "comms aerial" and a Legacy-style rangefinder (April Storm's model from Thingiverse - I swear by anything this woman has touched!)

I'm seeing more spray putty, body filler and sandpaper in my future...

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2017, 11:19 PM »
To clarify I was saying the dashed red line was the good area the center of that helmet needs to have the profile adjusted. I wasn’t seeing your graphic as well as I thought I was.

QMU#084

Jaegun Clark

• #ISCsAreMandosToo
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2017, 11:35 PM »
To clarify I was saying the dashed red line was the good area

Ah. The dashed red line was to show what I would think the helmet would look like with a 100% clear T-visor section like a standard Mando helmet, using the lowest points on the horizontal part to determine where the vertical part should start.

So what does that misinterpretation mean for what I've done thus far then?

« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2017, 11:46 PM by Jaegun Clark » Logged

Bowfanny

« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2017, 02:28 AM »
Ah. The dashed red line was to show what I would think the helmet would look like with a 100% clear T-visor section like a standard Mando helmet, using the lowest points on the horizontal part to determine where the vertical part should start.

So what does that misinterpretation mean for what I've done thus far then?
Just a minor bump in your road, as to the 1/3 rule it’s generally noted of at minimum 1/3 of the vertical height at the normal width of a standard visor shape. Keep bouncing ideas around with us as far as possible mods to further things. Is the helmet 3d printed? I ask since I’ve had success with using a wood burning tool to make adjustments to a helmet I was helping someone with. I still want to try smoothing the face of a print with the transfer disk in my kit. See if I can speed up the process a bit.

QMU#084

Jaegun Clark

• #ISCsAreMandosToo
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2017, 02:37 AM »
Just a minor bump in your road, as to the 1/3 rule it’s generally noted of at minimum 1/3 of the vertical height at the normal width of a standard visor shape.
Fair enough. Might I humbly suggest that mentions of the 1/3rd rule be elaborated on to reflect that specification? There is no specific mention of 1/3rd vertical or horizontal, just 1/3rd of the vertical portion - with only that wording, what I've done here would seem to meet that rule. Making that clearer may prevent similar misunderstandings in future.

Keep bouncing ideas around with us as far as possible mods to further things.
My plan was to maintain the profiles as presented by the helmet as in Star Wars Rebels as much as possible, whilst being compliant with MMCC CRLs for helmets. Since this goal will clearly be unattainable - as cutting out only one portion to full visor width would look like osik - I'll likely just cut the entire vertical section out to the red dotted line per my original drawing. Not the outcome I was hoping for, but preferable to trooping with a non-CRL-compliant helmet.

Is the helmet 3d printed?
Yep. Printed in PLA from files posted on Thingiverse by a user called Killonious. I've previously printed his Red Hood helmet too, he does pretty darn good work.

« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2017, 02:46 AM by Jaegun Clark » Logged

Bowfanny

« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2017, 02:47 AM »
I’ll see what we can get noted for adding the 1/3 rule guidelines to the crls if possible. 

I’ve got some ideas as far as what you could to that I think would work while keeping some semblance of the aesthetic.  I can get back to you in the morning with more details if you like.

I only print in pla, I love my Robo R1+ it’s got over 400 successful prints and still knocking it out of the park. If you’ve got a soldering iron that you don’t mind getting a little messy see what it does to a raw edge, I punched a pair of holes in a pla helmet with one and in the process sealed the internal structure and made the hole smooth on the inside edge.

QMU#084

Jaegun Clark

• #ISCsAreMandosToo
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2017, 02:50 AM »
If you've got ideas to share, I'll gladly listen. In any case, it's almost 7pm (as of writing this) so I likely won't be doing any more work on it for at least 14 hours or so. Plenty of time for it to turn morning where you are! haha

Haven't got a soldering iron, but you've intrigued me enough to consider purchasing one! Might look into it sometime!

« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2017, 12:39 PM »
I just want to say I'm loving that I'm not the only one modding the supertrooper bucket, though what you are doing is a little different than what i am. i went with "full" visor, but the way i cut it, i was able to keep the "teeth".

I agree with the Killonious print. Ive been watching the HSP version with some interest, however i prefer the 3d version. I think the HSP version looks too cartoony to me. but that is my feeling. Keep up the good work

Jaegun Clark

• #ISCsAreMandosToo
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2017, 04:57 AM »
So, unfortunately it seems I've misread the intent behind the CRL requiring helmets to have "1/3rd of the vertical part of the visor clear", in that it nowhere specified that that means "at least 1/3rd of the vertical part must be 100% of the vertical part's potential width."

So, options:

A - Cut part of the vertical part out to the 'approximate' 100% width. This, I feel, would not look good. I don't like how different vertical visor widths look on the HSP Eviscerator helmet, and I'm not a fan of how it looks on the Lonewolf Executioner. While similar in look to this helmet, the skull motif is very obvious, very in-your-face; with the design choices I was making, I was trying to achieve something similar but more subtly.

Which leaves B -

EDIT: or C -

The latter 2 are, to be honest, looking like the most likely course of action. Big thanks to Bowfanny for pitching in with ideas and possible solutions via PM, but for the reasons I've laid out above, if having a large portion of the vertical T section be about 1/3rd of its expected full width won't meet approval standards, then this is the only viable solution to me.

I just want to say I'm loving that I'm not the only one modding the supertrooper bucket

You were bound to have some lunatic join you in this venture eventually XD

« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2017, 07:55 AM by Jaegun Clark » Logged
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:20 AM »

You were bound to have some lunatic join you in this venture eventually XD
Lol sometimes lunacy is the best.

Jaegun, This is what i did with mine. I went with option c. I felt it kept the best feature of the bucket. The only problem I'm running into with the way it was model was the way the eye section of the visor rounds in, giving some issue to when the visor goes in.

« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2017, 05:11 PM by Demor Kodiko » Logged

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2017, 11:23 AM »
Because I think it is a shame to lose that ridge across the nose, consider this:

That top visor line just seems to pretty, and one of the unique points of the helmet, that would set it apart from just a "Generic Rebels Helmet".

However, I quite like the teeth too, so perhaps don't go all the way through them?

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2017, 01:04 PM »
Option C was my favorite.  Glad you went that direction!  Honestly like it better than your orignal slot! Looks more aggressive and less like a mando with a nosebleed :)

« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2017, 05:12 PM »
Option C was my favorite.  Glad you went that direction!  Honestly like it better than your orignal slot! Looks more aggressive and less like a mando with a nosebleed :)
That was my bucket, i was just giving a visual reference to what option c was

Bowfanny

« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2017, 06:47 PM »
My ideas were pretty similar to those that Hik’aari posted

QMU#084

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!