Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Chest Plate Shaping Question (1/16" steel plate)

• 3 Replies

Avix Dreylestre

• "Cin Vhetin"
Chest Plate Shaping Question (1/16" steel plate)
« on: May 11, 2015, 05:52 PM »
Soooo I got way too anxious to work on my armor and made a set of chest plates!

I cut the template out of paper, resized according to some made up calculations twice and came up with a set that I think fits me fairly well. I meant to post pictures of me trying the paper templates on for size analysis but I couldn't get a decent picture... So I eyeballed it and compared it to what I saw on the forums and was juuust dumb enough to start cutting up some metal.
I eventually want the plates to be made of aluminum (more malleable, won't rust, still pretty and metallic, lighter weight), but I already have a large amount of 1/16" sheet steel. According to my made up calculations, more than enough to make all of my plates.

These are the plates that I cut out. I know the size is close at least. But now my problem is this:

How should I shape these steel plates to curve/bend properly?

Like... Are there any guidelines? I would love to have a jpg of a template with dotted lines or something that shows a hard-poly version of where the bends  should be but I know it's largely personal preference as far as shape.
But more than that, How?? I have the following tools available:
  • A Skil grinder with a very dull cutting wheel atached
  • A Skil Sawzall with a wood cutting blade
  • A Wagner HT1000 10 amp, 1200 watt heat gun (the cheap yellow one)
  • A Black & Decker RTX rotary tool (a Dremel basically)
  • A very old corded drill and a few different bits
  • A hammer. A few hammers. everything's a hammer if you want it to be
  • I do not own, but I have access to a clamp. Like a table clamp. A bench vise.
That's it. About all the tools I have. Is there any way to bend metal with these?

« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 09:26 PM by Avix Dreylestre » Logged

xanderbach

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: Chest Plate Shaping Question (1/16" steel plate)
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 05:31 AM »
What I did with mine was use a vise, a big hammer, and my hands. Its hard to get smooth curves this way, though (I haven't yet.) The trick is to do it a little at a time. Clamp it in the vise, and give it a pull or a couple bangs wwith the hammer. For the hammer, use a deadblow hammer- it imparts a lot of force without leaving a dent. If you can't reach the area you want to bend because your vise is too shallow (like mine) use a cheater plate- just a 1/2 inch thick piece of metal or hardwood on the inside of where you want the bend. I use a piece of aluminum, which is working quite well.

Take your time have a few reference pics of armor you like, and you should be done in no time.

Wolfin Sylvermane

• We are only Immortal for a limited time.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 07:21 AM »
Keep in mind I have not played with metal plates yet but from what I've read a shot put and a piece of pvc  pipe for a stand makes for a nice curved surface for shaping metal plates.   I'm making an inventory of tools before I start cutting my scrap aluminum.

Avix Dreylestre

• "Cin Vhetin"
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 11:51 AM »
What I did with mine was use a vise, a big hammer, and my hands. Its hard to get smooth curves this way, though (I haven't yet.) The trick is to do it a little at a time. Clamp it in the vise, and give it a pull or a couple bangs wwith the hammer. For the hammer, use a deadblow hammer- it imparts a lot of force without leaving a dent. If you can't reach the area you want to bend because your vise is too shallow (like mine) use a cheater plate- just a 1/2 inch thick piece of metal or hardwood on the inside of where you want the bend. I use a piece of aluminum, which is working quite well.

Take your time have a few reference pics of armor you like, and you should be done in no time.

I was just looking at your WIP, and I like what I'm seeing there!! The hard-edged curves give me a good idea of where the plates should bend and in what direction. Perfect! And yeah, that vise is just like the one I have access to.
Do you think that sharp edges like what you've got there could pass as complete? 'Cause I'd be happy if mine got to looking even that good!  :laugh:

Keep in mind I have not played with metal plates yet but from what I've read a shot put and a piece of pvc  pipe for a stand makes for a nice curved surface for shaping metal plates.   I'm making an inventory of tools before I start cutting my scrap aluminum.
Oooh! I have a shot put somewhere around here... When I find it, I will be mixing these two methods to see if I can get a desirable effect. Thanks guys, any other advice on the topic is much appreciated!  :D

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!