Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Oryon's Scratchbuilt Steel Helmet WiP (Pic HEAVY)

• 10 Replies

Oryon

• Ωryon: Honourable Duelist and Deathwatch Hunter
Oryon's Scratchbuilt Steel Helmet WiP (Pic HEAVY)
« on: May 16, 2015, 02:58 AM »
So I've been on this for a while, and rather than dredging up my old WIP, I think I'd rather just start a new one, especially since I've only been doing work on my helmet. And so it begins...

I started with the WOF templates and traced them out onto galvanized steel. I'm pretty sure its either 20 or 22 gauge, so extremely thin.

I had an old drill block that was cylindrical and started forming it around until I got something somewhat helmet shaped.

The weld marks are where I folded over the bottom to actually give it some structural integrity.

Then I cut out the faceplate template, using a really inaccurate angle grinder...

I shaped it and welded it onto the cylinder.

I am a truly osik'la welder, which honestly did a lot of damage to my outside edges.

Here's my first try cutting out the cheek, it came out a little small and shallow, so I re-cut it after.

It seemed to work a lot better and looked good.

It looks pretty cool so far, in my opinion.

Both cheeks securely installed ;D

Or not so securely after all, as my welding skill strikes back...

Then I started on the dome, not knowing that it would literally take me months to complete :blank:

I basically just hit the metal over this trailer hitch for a really long time. It sorta worked... A little.

It really started taking shape when I cut it into four sections, though.

And I bought myself a little English Wheel to help out a bit. It worked nicely for smoothing out hammer dents and such.

After many months spent avoiding making any progress on this, I finally went back to it one day and smashed the pieces into submission before welding them together:

It wasn't a perfect fit, but nothing a good smacking couldn't fix :laugh:

I tacked some little pieces of metal onto the helmet to help with the dome installation.

I also sliced out a new faceplate because the old one was really dented up. I'm thinking of using snaps to hold it on, so I can paint it separately from the rest.

And after that, everything kind of just came together nicely.

I snagged a heavy duty dremel to grind down the welds, but it melted on me, so I had to take it back for a new one (Perks of buying from Princess Auto)

And that's all for now, about a year's worth of progress all compiled into one post ;D I'm hoping to get out this weekend and do some more work, but other than that updates may be few and far between.

M.A.D. #031    M.A. #087    24er    M.A.B.E.L. #020    M.L.C.S. #19    WIP    Helmet

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Oryon's Scratchbuilt Steel Helmet WiP (Pic HEAVY)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 03:30 AM »
Kandosii'la ner Vod! Be careful or you may get a call to arms from a full metal Mando who has yet to make a metal helmet! But In all seriousness great job!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Oryon

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 12:57 PM »
Kandosii'la ner Vod! Be careful or you may get a call to arms from a full metal Mando who has yet to make a metal helmet! But In all seriousness great job!

:laugh: :laugh: Yeah, I probably won't be making another dome for a long time, vod. That was a painful process I'd rather not go through again :P

M.A.D. #031    M.A. #087    24er    M.A.B.E.L. #020    M.L.C.S. #19    WIP    Helmet

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 05:48 PM »
Awe but Vod where's your sense of adventure ;D lol I can't blame you, I'm getting ready to start a set of metal armor myself and you have significantly more experience than me with metal!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Oryon

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 07:58 PM »
So my cold didn't go away before the weekend started, so I couldn't get over to my dad's to work on this. I did get Star Citizen, though, which is insanely fun ;D

Oh, and I drew up some designs to show what I have planned for this helmet.

Oryon

« Reply #5 on: Jun 08, 2015, 08:35 PM »
I wasn't able to grab any 18 gauge metal, since all metal stores are closed on sundays and Princess Auto didn't have any. So I spent the weekend wire-brushing the outside of my helmet. Now it looks all shiny and nice, and the brass wirebrush I used is coloured silver :P

While talking with Dresdon, He mentioned a fan that could pull air out the back of helmet through the two vents, which made me think of cutting some vents on the front in the cheeks so air can run past my face in the summertime. I'm gonna make them close-able, though, so my cheeks don't freeze during winter.

I also dug up an old set of Turtle Beach's I have, So I can gut them and use them as internal headphones. I'm also thinking of running the mic from them to speakers on the front mandible so when I shout at people they really hear it. Gonna be a lot of holes in my faceplate if this keeps up.

Anyways, pics of the no longer yellow and blue tinted helmet:

Since I got tired of brushing the thing half to death I also fixed the overhang of the dome on the left side, I don't think I have any before pictures, but trust me, it was really annoying:

As you can see it now sits inside the cylinder and looks the same as the other side. It took some doing to get it in. I started with single flatblade screwdriver prying it underneath, but when I got one side in the other would pop back out, as the dome was larger than the cylinder. I ended up using three screwdrivers and a hammer to get it to form. Then I tried to hammer it flat again and it popped out. So I shoved it back inside and grabbed as couple thin sheets of metal to prevent that and hammered it out to smoothness.

I'm hoping to fix most of the holes that happened while welding with some braze, but my dad said he was going to buy brazing supplies someday, so I'm holding off until then.

I've tried to fix this last one many times, but to no avail. Turns out that I've been using the wrong wire this whole time according to my grandpa. He said that nickle wire wouldn't melt my steel, and I've been using stainless this whole time. A little late on the advice, but duly noted for the future.

Gonna be covering all this up with the impact strips on the top of the helmet, but until I buy some 18 gauge they stay as is...

And last but not least: My new phone lock screen ;D I've been putting my most recent pics as my lockscreen so I get my shebs in gear more often. It helps a little.

Briks

• War Wolf
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: Jun 08, 2015, 09:16 PM »
Progress is good! keep it up!  :D :D

MMCC Member: # 1195

When I'm finished...You're gonna be glad no one was here to watch you DIE.

My Original Armor  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=85524.0

xanderbach

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #7 on: Jun 09, 2015, 07:20 AM »
I'm happy you're going with the metal dome. I got too frustrated doing mine, and went with a skateboard helmet dome. Though mine is being painted, so I was able to plug all the holes from my terrible welds with apoxie sculpt. Looking good so far!

Oryon

« Reply #8 on: Jun 09, 2015, 10:22 AM »
Progress is good! keep it up!  :D :D

Thanks, wasn't sure if this little was worth posting, but I gotta keep this thread updated.

I'm happy you're going with the metal dome. I got too frustrated doing mine, and went with a skateboard helmet dome. Though mine is being painted, so I was able to plug all the holes from my terrible welds with apoxie sculpt. Looking good so far!

Trust me, it was not a fun time. I recommend cutting a rounded hole into a large stump and beating the absolute osik out of it with a rounded hammer until it conforms :laugh:

« Reply #9 on: Jun 09, 2015, 06:16 PM »
This is awesome I wish I had the resources and time to try a metal bucket build! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Oryon

« Reply #10 on: Jul 03, 2015, 03:57 PM »
I got two days off work so I decided to go buy some steel and get some more done. I was going to buy 18 gauge, but the welding shop I went to had 16 as their thinnest. I got it because I'm too lazy to drive further, but I think it turned out to be a better choice anyways :P

So I dug out my old templates:

They weren't in good shape, to say the least.

Nothing a little tape can't fix, though!

After I taped it down I traced it out with permanent marker, so even if the templates fell off it wouldn't be a big deal.

Then I traced the lines with a grinder, scoring the steel about halfway through.

The scores would act as my guidance lines when I cut it fully using this and a small dremel.

I didn't cut out the visor, because I want to do that after it's all shaped and ready.

Skipping a few hours that were picture-less, I shaped the thing and cut the faceplate off, as I want that to be a removable piece on my buy'ce.

Then, with even less pictures mind you, I attached the left side cutout on the left side of the helmet.

I had to use rivets to hold the metal in place so I could weld it properly, and I had to add some steel to the side closest to the cheek because of something I screwed up when I first started building the damn thing.

And that's all I got done after about 7-8 total work hours over the past two days. I was gonna weld some bolts to the backside of the faceplate, but it didn't exactly go as well as I had intended, so I hit the CTRL-Z of metalworking known as ye olde grinder.
I've also dug up an old pair of Turtle Beach Headphones I'll be gutting and installing inside it, that should be fun when the time comes.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!