Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Get'al Aran Beskar'gam WIP

• 129 Replies

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Get'al Aran Beskar'gam WIP
« Reply #120 on: May 28, 2017, 03:59 PM »
Awesome!!
I really love the way you have the helmet set up.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #121 on: Jun 02, 2017, 07:49 PM »
Armor Weekend Preparation

So this coming Sunday afternoon is approaching fast, and it's the second time I get to work on my armor within a month's time-frame.  This is unprecedented, and it looks like these will continue to happen.  So I'm very excited to be able to continue along with what we've been doing.  In preparation for Sunday, I went to Home Depot and Goodwill to pick up some more supplies.  I picked up three cans of spray paint, as the helmet and guns are on my list to get some love. 

So I couldn't find the gunmetal gray I wanted, that I've seen so much of, but the aged metal has me optimistic that it'll be just as good or better.  The black will be used primarily for my guns, and the crimson will be used for some highlights.  Gray/Silver, Black, and Red are the colors I've secured for my kit.  Also, funny story.  While shopping at Home Depot and picking out these colors, the Star Wars themesong was playing over the PA system. 

Odds and Ends

I went to Goodwill this evening and picked up some more source materials for the soft parts of my kit, and found a few extra things along the way that I just couldn't pass up.  The belts will be used atop the girth belt I still have to design and put together.  They also might be used for hanging holsters off of, or securing the kama.

Here's the entire loot from my trip there.  The backpack is specifically for the straps, so I can start construction on a shoulder harness for my legacy plates.  The fact that it was a Star Wars backpack also didn't hurt matters either ;)

This decorative metal chain I think will look good somewhere on my kit, not sure, and I may paint it a different color than the bright silver.  Not sure, but it was a good find.

Found this in a Gamestop box, apparently it was for some kind of exercise contraption.  Also came with a long green rubber attachment and some plastic ends for a nylon connection.  This part however makes me think it might be useful as some sort of holster situation. 

Also picked up this guy and a Vader one.  They are coin banks with a slot on the top.  Not sure if I'll be using them at all, but for a buck each, I couldn't pass them up.  I call this one the Boba Bank, and the other the Vader Vault. 

Ideas and Comments Welcome!

« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2017, 07:55 PM by Evad » Logged

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #122 on: Jun 02, 2017, 09:08 PM »
Awesome!  I look forward to seeing what progress you make!  ;D ;D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Arkham

• Awards Legends of Mandalore Brigade 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Special Weapons
« Reply #123 on: Jun 03, 2017, 10:03 AM »
One warning I can give you; Make sure to do a test coat of the 'Weathered Steel' paint on a large piece of scrap Sintra , if you have one, before coating your armor with it . The color is great, but it does have a mild texture to it that looks great as an exposed layer. However, if using it as a metallic base-coat, it can give added color layers an orange-peel-ish effect. On my armor I think I got it to the point where it is not overly noticeable. They do make a 'Dark Steel' paint, which appears to be about the same color but without the texture (but I haven't tried it to confirm).

Arkham's WIP

Tra'cor Clan // G.O.M.O.L # 032 // M.V.S #68 // O.O.P.S.! #52 // L.O.B #49

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #124 on: Jun 04, 2017, 11:34 PM »
One warning I can give you; Make sure to do a test coat of the 'Weathered Steel' paint on a large piece of scrap Sintra , if you have one, before coating your armor with it . The color is great, but it does have a mild texture to it that looks great as an exposed layer. However, if using it as a metallic base-coat, it can give added color layers an orange-peel-ish effect. On my armor I think I got it to the point where it is not overly noticeable. They do make a 'Dark Steel' paint, which appears to be about the same color but without the texture (but I haven't tried it to confirm).

Thanks for the tips vod, ironically that particular paint can wouldn't work; as the nozzle itself was defective so I can't even use it if I wanted to.  LOL.

Helmet Painting

So I finally started to paint the bucket!  I kept trying to think of a design I wanted to go with, but I decided not to do a unique design just yet, but simply paint the crevices and other embellishments that are already on the bucket.  I used the Flat Soft Iron paint I picked up at Lowes.

1st Base Coat

Did a very light coat, as instructed per my vod helping me out with my build.  He was very helpful in teaching this novice how to properly paint, and what to avoid.  I certainly didn't understand the fine touch mechanics of it, but I'm very glad for his help.

2nd Base Coat

These pictures are with the visor removed.  I did end up getting a couple of the same paint on the ear caps, but they didn't get pictures yet.  I'll be masking off parts and pieces of the helmet next and applying coats of other colors for contrast, and then I'll go into weathering mode.  So far just a single base coat made such a world of difference.  It's rather amazing to me that just one color can make something go from looking like plastic, to a fully fleshed out piece of armor.  Also, just with this coat, I took a look at how the visor stands out, and it's incredible.  :)

Next Sunday I'll be joining my Merc brother again to work for another 5-6 hours, and will likely have a lot more to show for it.  Head over to my Weapons WIP (in my signature) to see the other progress I made today. 

Did a layer of masking off so I could prep the next part of the paint process, the exposed layer will get a coat of black stainless, although I still have to do some work and get the pips on the front at the top of the brow covered, as those will be silver.  As well I'm waiting on getting some masking fluid (or making my own with toothpaste) before I apply that.  Planning to tackle the paint on Sunday.

Updated Checklist

• Helmet - Painting
  • Flight Suit - Tailored
  • Vest - Tailored, but needs more adjustments
  • Armor Plates - Partially molded/Other parts in design phase
  • Gauntlets - Roughly formed and shaped, with hinges attached
  • Girth BeltPre-Design Phase
  • Cape - Measured and Cut, needs pleats.
  • Boots - Obtained
  • Gloves - Obtained
  • Kama - Re-Design Phase

« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2017, 09:01 PM by Evad » Logged

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #125 on: Jun 11, 2017, 10:23 PM »
Helmet Painting Day Two

Using the above masking, I went with a black stainless steel coat over the exposed areas.  Gave it several coats because Rustoleum sprays on so thin, that I wanted to make sure it stayed put.  The base coat is chipping in places if I scrape it or bump it too hard, so I wanted a really solid layer.  The masking off was near perfection, there are still a few places I need to touch up, but that can all be done through the weathering.  I didn't do any liquid masking for this spot, since it's going to be black.  However I will be trying my hand at it for the next portion which will be bright silver. 

The ear caps and visor I did some paint on as well.  They didn't turn out so well, as the humidity today made the painter's tape warp and peel off, so there were leaks.  I may need to redo those.  Pictures to come from them soon enough.  I also went ahead and cut out some more rough pieces for the armor plates.  I didn't get them pictured, because I want to sand them down and get them shaped and formed before I mess with pictures. 

Og' Reh

• Ugliest Mandalorian you've ever seen!
  • Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #126 on: Jun 12, 2017, 06:08 AM »
I really love your ideas and how you plan everything. All you do grows in my mind first, and you just make it happen!

I'll be following your work, cause you do it great!

- My Lord! The field is lost! Army in disarray. This may be the end of the war...
- Desperate times need desperate measures... Call Mandalorians!
- Like... BOTH of them?

WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=105164.0
Bucket (complete): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=106492.msg1782976#msg1782976

Straka Zulu

« Reply #127 on: Jun 12, 2017, 11:34 AM »
Man... Really enjoying watching this come to life, vod.

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #128 on: Jul 05, 2017, 05:46 PM »
So, due to Photobucket's recent changes to their ToS - all accounts that do not pay the $400.00/year pricetag no longer are able to have their images third party hosted.  Since all of my pictures were hosted on Photobucket, I am now in the process of switching every single one to a new hosting platform.  Until then all the images of my progress from the time I started till now are being blocked by this egregious extortion scheme.  When I get some time I will put these photos back where they should be.  Just a heads up to anyone following me, or anyone seeing those blocked image advertisements. 

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #129 on: Aug 21, 2017, 08:15 PM »
Please continue to follow me at my new build page - HERE!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!