Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Get'al Aran Beskar'gam WIP

• 129 Replies

Evad

• Shereshoy
Get'al Aran Beskar'gam WIP
« on: May 17, 2015, 10:13 PM »
Greetings Mando'ade!

Concept Designs

Below I will chronicle the design phase of the my first impending build.  Be aware that I have little to no idea exactly how difficult or easy any of these concepts will be to actually make, if they would be functional or elegant - all I know is that these are the ideas rolling around my head until I can get some face time with other clansmen in my area and actually start to construct something.  Please leave comments and suggestions and feedback on what you think.  Nothing here is final, and it's all very fluid right now.

Buy'ce

Credits for the following images go to NME Props: http://blog.nmeprops.com/tag/mandalorian-mercs
You have amazing talent vod, and I appreciate your hard work in this.

Stock cast of Stalker Mandalorian Helmet

Sketch of Stalker Helmet

Below are some variations on this design that I have come up with.  These are rough drafts, but the idea is incorporate some design from the Imperial Royal Guard which I hope to set the them and tone of my kit to give some visual backstory to the character of the kit. 

Custom Helmet Ordered!
6/15/15

The staff at NME props and owner decided they liked my modification concepts and have agreed to build the custom helmet for me.  They said it should be able to be made and shipped before December hits.  I'll be without a bucket for a while, but at least it's on their worklist, and I am rather excited.  Word has it from the owner that they cherry pick on the custom orders they like to do - so I'm glad I was able to meet their standards.  Oya!

Chest and Back

These are sketches I've done going off of a toy model of a modernized version of Boba Fett's beskar'gam.  The back plate is completely designed by me, and I already see some flaws in it, but at the same time I like the way it looks.  The colors are more for the PSD reference.  If any of you want the PSD file so you can see how they are grouped - I'd be glad to share it.  I do not know if these would even meet the standard guidelines for the modern era of beskar'gam, but like I said, it's still a concept.

Credit to Square Enix for their amazing rendition of Boba Fett: http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/31/8318101/japanese-star-wars-toys-darth-vader-boba-fett

Comments, Suggestions, Concerns, and Critiques Welcome

Checklist

• Helmet - Ordered through NME on 6/15/15
  • Flight Suit - Obtained
  • Vest - Obtained
  • Armor Plates - Still in design phase and paper templates
  • Gauntlets - Pre-Design Phase
  • Girth BeltPre-Design Phase
  • Cape - Pre-Design Phase
  • Weapons - Dual Pistols - Rough Build / Dagger - Redesigning / Rifle and hold out blaster Design Phase
  • Boots - Pre-order phase
  • Gloves - Pre-order phase
  • Kama - Design Phase

« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2015, 10:47 PM by Evad » Logged
Re: Concepts for First Build - Comments and Suggestions Needed
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 10:17 PM »
I like the concept so far! Great to have you with us on the boards :)

Briks

• War Wolf
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 07:17 AM »
Very cool helmet concept, was your mando a royal guard?  :)

One thing, watch out for that toy. It's awesome looking but not mando, it has more of a halo look.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 07:21 AM by Briks » Logged
MMCC Member: # 1195

When I'm finished...You're gonna be glad no one was here to watch you DIE.

My Original Armor  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=85524.0

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 09:28 AM »
Very cool helmet concept, was your mando a royal guard?  :)

One thing, watch out for that toy. It's awesome looking but not mando, it has more of a halo look.

That is the general idea I'm going for, as a writer I like to have a back story in mind when I create and fashion a look.  It brings a more cohesive element to the overall appearance.  As far as the toy, I'm only taking ideas from it, not trying for a carbon copy.  It's certainly not entirely Mando, and does have some Halo-esque themes to it.  If you look however at the closeups and study the patterns, it is very reminiscent of the normal chest plates, but with a bit of an overlay which is what I was going for. 

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 02:17 AM »
Chest Design Redone

Each layer sitting below the other giving a tiled feel, and making the armor a more 3-D experience.  They will also be able to sink against each other to give the ability to flex and bend forward and backwards.

Image with torso for reference

Chest Design Description

The overlay I plan to have folded around to my sides.  There's still a few more pieces I want to add in, as in the profile shots I see a lot of empty space and I think a few plates curved around would help better hold the armor in place, and still give my arms and waist freedom of movement.

Rough Coloring and Paint Job

A rough collar shape has been added to the overall outline.  Some rough coloring and a possible design I've worked up.  The Mando'a on the chestplate reads:

Empires Will Fall
Leaders Will Die
The Vode Live On
For Mandalore

Collar Plate Redesign

I have shortened the diamond as it was way too long on the template test I did with the torso.  The collar plate now sports a gorget to protect my neck.  The shoulder straps reach back to where my back plate would meet it.  I'm also considering putting in a version of Starkiller's neck guards, but modified to fit my own needs - not sure on that yet though.

Image with torso for reference

« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2015, 02:35 AM by Evad » Logged

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 08:01 AM »
Pm a member from the app team before you continue. You may find your pattern may not work, and I would hate for you to get too far in and realise it wont be approved.

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 11:05 PM »
Pm a member from the app team before you continue. You may find your pattern may not work, and I would hate for you to get too far in and realise it wont be approved.

Vor'e ner'vod. good looking out.  I've submitted the question, and I'll await their reply.

Meshurkaan

• Dcon 2014 "Sleepytime" Award recipient.
  • The Nap'alore
  • Awards Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 01:23 AM »
This is a very cool layering idea you have! But yes, you should wait to hear back from an app team member. I don't seen any initial problems other than the tabs on the center diamond and the lack of a collar plate. Your chest pieces resemble legacy style kits which are still under the modern armor style CRLs. Good luck to you vod!

PS:
I love the graphic design of the planning! It's great when you have that tool you can utilize!

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 01:24 AM »
Vor'e ner'vod.  I haven't started plotting out the collar, shoulders/pauldrons or anything else just yet.  Waiting to see if I can move forward or backup and tweak stuff.

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 01:52 AM »
With the highly customized style of your chest and abs I would suggest holding a little closer to the standard on the shoulders, collar, cod, and other pieces so that the armor is still Mando reminiscent instead of a custom suit of armor with a diamond in the chest. That said though you could probably do the backplate the same as the chest since it does seem a little Legacy style. It's definitely interesting to have a Red Guard Mando and I look forward to seeing some more on this.

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 03:19 AM »
Posting to keep an eye on this. ;)

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 03:20 AM »
It appears as if the App team may have a little too much on their plate at the moment - the Q&A forum where you can ask the app team questions hasn't been touched in over a month, so I'm not sure what exactly to do with my current concept.  On Monday I plan to be visiting a Maker Space locally here, and from there I'll start working on my weapons, and trying to figure out where to go with them.  I'm just not set to invest any money in the armor components until I can get a direction to move in with this design.

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 07:35 AM »
Use the private message, or actually post something in the app team section. Yes they have been busy with celebration, but a lot have been active since. You wont know until you actually ask.

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 04:06 AM »
Use the private message, or actually post something in the app team section. Yes they have been busy with celebration, but a lot have been active since. You wont know until you actually ask.

I used the question form in the Q&A forum, and I PMed several members of the forum over the past week.  I have yet to hear back.

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 04:48 AM »
Just wait patiently. Start thinking of what your mando does as a living and how you might weather your armour accordingly.

Viking Goldfish

• Yo soy wampa!
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2015, 04:52 AM »
I am tripping out on what ever program you are using to show your designs.. How are you making your pictures? Sorry I use computers but I have no idea about the programs that go on them...

Me "Mom why was 6 afraid of 7?" Mom "Why would a number be afraid of another number?" Me "Because 7, 8, 9!" Mom leaves with a blank look on her face.

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2015, 04:53 AM »
Just wait patiently. Start thinking of what your mando does as a living and how you might weather your armour accordingly.

Waiting is often the hardest part.  I'm visiting a maker community facility on Monday, and plan to start playing around if I can get my hands on some scrap Sintra to understand it's shaping ability.  I also plan to be getting a duct tape torso made of me soon, so that I can have a resource to fashion custom armor to my build.  I've got a weapon WIP showing the weapons I've purchased, and plan to visit Home depot for a few supplies to see what I can make out of what I have.  The only thing that concerns me here is that the forum itself has been stagnant for over a month.  I'm also attempting to get a Saturday off to join a Rancor Armor party, but right now it seems as if the date already has three people in line waiting for that day off as well.  No one likes working Saturdays, so that's gonna be a wait and see thing too.

I am tripping out on what ever program you are using to show your designs.. How are you making your pictures? Sorry I use computers but I have no idea about the programs that go on them...

Thanks vod, I appreciate the compliment.  I'm actually using a super out-dated version of Photoshop (CS2).  All I did for that was rough out a sketch on my tablet, then use straight colored lines to connect the plate design, refashion it a little, fill in the spots, and then layer each one over the other.  Mess with the opacity to make it translucent, and voila - instant armor design. 

« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2016, 09:35 PM by Evad » Logged

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2015, 04:58 AM »
Waiting is often the hardest part.  I'm visiting a maker community facility on Monday, and plan to start playing around if I can get my hands on some scrap Sintra to understand it's shaping ability.  I also plan to be getting a duct tape torso made of me soon, so that I can have a resource to fashion custom armor to my build.  I've got a weapon WIP showing the weapons I've purchased, and plan to visit Home depot for a few supplies to see what I can make out of what I have.  The only thing that concerns me here is that the forum itself has been stagnant for over a month.  I'm also attempting to get a Saturday off to join a Rancor Armor party, but right now it seems as if the date already has three people in line waiting for that day off as well.  No one likes working Saturdays, so that's gonna be a wait and see thing too.

The forums have not been stagnant, but it is con season and we are right in the heart of it. If you want some extra advice try pm'ing your Rus'alor

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2015, 04:29 AM »
Flight Suit

There is not much information on the website I found for this suit.  I've done a little research about flight suits, and most of them have been showing to be about one hundred dollars on average.  This one is less than 50 dollars, so I'm not entirely sure about the quality.  It is listed at 100% Cotton.  Also their sizing is kind of unsubstantial.  Long or Regular, and then an unidentified number, which I have to only assume is waistline.  This is the website I found it on, if you can take a look at and help me figure out if this is even worth the purchase - I'd appreciate it.  http://www.chiefsupply.com/red-kap-zip-front-cotton-coverall.html

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2015, 04:53 AM »
If you want cheaper and live in a warmer climate try scrubs. Otherwise try a safety shop.

I found it rather hard to find overalls fullstop, but our nations safety store (Where contractors etc go to get safety equipment like steel toe boots) had a great selection. So I got myself a set there.

If that does not work I have heard of people using Dickies(?) tops and pants as a two piece.

Mercy

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2015, 05:01 AM »
Dickies also makes full coveralls...good quality, poly/cotton blend. About 35 bucks online form Amazon.
Mine just showed up a few hours ago.

The legs will need to be hemmed because they are cut long.

You know who I am. Even a monster such as you has nightmares.
Before you die...say my name...

Master Build Thread

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2015, 05:17 AM »
If you want cheaper and live in a warmer climate try scrubs. Otherwise try a safety shop.

I found it rather hard to find overalls fullstop, but our nations safety store (Where contractors etc go to get safety equipment like steel toe boots) had a great selection. So I got myself a set there.

If that does not work I have heard of people using Dickies(?) tops and pants as a two piece.

Dickies also makes full coveralls...good quality, poly/cotton blend. About 35 bucks online form Amazon.
Mine just showed up a few hours ago.

The legs will need to be hemmed because they are cut long.

It's not really about the money at all - I'm willing to spend for quality.  The reason I picked this particular one out was because of the color and the cut of it.  It doesn't look baggy, doesn't look like it will need much tailoring.  I've seen some other flight suits that I thought would take a lot more work to get down to what I want, I just am not sure about the quality, and the sizing.  If you guys can help me out in looking over that website to see what you think of that suit, I'd appreciate it.

Also added a new rough concept to the first page of this thread, showing a rough coloring and possible paint job.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 09:12 AM by Evad » Logged

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2015, 12:52 PM »
It's not really about the money at all - I'm willing to spend for quality.  The reason I picked this particular one out was because of the color and the cut of it.  It doesn't look baggy, doesn't look like it will need much tailoring.  I've seen some other flight suits that I thought would take a lot more work to get down to what I want, I just am not sure about the quality, and the sizing.  If you guys can help me out in looking over that website to see what you think of that suit, I'd appreciate it.

Also added a new rough concept to the first page of this thread, showing a rough coloring and possible paint job.

This is why I suggested the Dickies. Long and regular are not proper sizes and if you get the long you will almost certainly have to do some work to it. Also, the snap colsures on the wrists and legs, yes you can shrink it down round the openings, but the fact that the legs are so wide you may need to tailor those as well.

If those are the only sizes I would rather go in store,but they may not have a physical store.

If you go with them, just be careful as you could end up with a bit of work to do.

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2015, 03:00 PM »
This is why I suggested the Dickies. Long and regular are not proper sizes and if you get the long you will almost certainly have to do some work to it. Also, the snap colsures on the wrists and legs, yes you can shrink it down round the openings, but the fact that the legs are so wide you may need to tailor those as well.

If those are the only sizes I would rather go in store,but they may not have a physical store.

If you go with them, just be careful as you could end up with a bit of work to do.

Good advice vod.  Do you have a particular website for the Dickies you mentioned?

teraxis

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2015, 03:10 PM »
Good advice vod.  Do you have a particular website for the Dickies you mentioned?
I ordered from amazon. 

Mercs # 838
Photo Bucket Ate The Rest of My Signature.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!