Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Get'al Aran Beskar'gam WIP

• 129 Replies

Evad

• Shereshoy
Re: Get'al Aran Beskar'gam WIP
« Reply #90 on: Mar 21, 2016, 08:43 PM »
Suspension Harness Installed

Up Close Installation

The blue arrow indicates where I placed the velcro to hold onto the helmet.  I applied four velcro squares to the four points closest to the helmet, and was able to put on the bucket and take it off several times without being ripped from the position.  It also holds the helmet very steady on my head and doesn't wobble.  The original issue I had with this was the weight of the bucket on my head, and this takes all that weight away.  It no longer rests on the top of my head, but the rig allows it to easily disperse the weight so it's to the sides of my head, which a far more comfortable fit.

Rig Purchase

This is North by Honeywell 4 Point Ratchet system suspension rig.  Follow the link and you can purchase it, and even pick it up to try it on if there is a Grainger store around you. Their chat help on the site was very helpful in choosing the right one.  https://www.grainger.com/product/NORTH-BY-HONEYWELL-Replacement-Suspension-39T777?functionCode=P2IDP2PCP

Test Fit #2
With Bucket

The fit with the bucket looks much better than my civvies - so I think with the right application of armor this will fit perfectly.  I appreciate all the help and advice from the vode, and I look forward to getting more of the armor set ready for the kit, and then move onto the painting phase.  I did do some minor work on the weapons, but there are no new pictures at this time.

Suggestions and Comments Welcomed!

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #91 on: Mar 21, 2016, 11:09 PM »
Vod! You're alive! Great to see you back in the game! With those soft parts, you definitely look Imperial! Can't wait to see this finished!

teraxis

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #92 on: Mar 24, 2016, 12:44 AM »
looking good man!  looking forward to seeing your progress

Mercs # 838
Photo Bucket Ate The Rest of My Signature.

SharkimusPrime

• O'ram Turel
« Reply #93 on: Mar 27, 2016, 04:53 PM »
This kit is bonkers. I love it. Can't wait to see it finished

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #94 on: Apr 08, 2016, 05:05 AM »
Photoshop Mock-Up
Visor

I wanted to get a visual representation up for the part of the helmet that would be specific to a callback of my Mando's history with the Empire.  A former Royal Guard turned Mandalorian.  (Of course he made the right call).  The plan for this is to head to an automotive paint shop, bring a swatch of red velvet fabric (The kind the 501st Sovereign Protectors use) and have them color match that and paint this with a high gloss.  The rest of the helmet I'll do myself with various spray paints, once I figure out a proper design.  I wanted to get the vode's thoughts on how the mock up looks. 

Oddly enough I find that this color change makes the helmet look bigger.  *shrugs*

Updated Checklist

• Helmet - Obtained
  • Flight Suit - Obtained
  • Vest - Obtained
  • Armor Plates - Partially molded/Other parts in design phase
  • Gauntlets - Cut PVC - Planning Phase
  • Girth BeltPre-Design Phase
  • Cape - Purchased Fabric
  • Boots - Obtained
  • Gloves - Obtained
  • Kama - Design Phase

Comments and Suggestions Welcome!

« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2016, 05:10 AM by Evad » Logged

Kol Varek

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #95 on: Apr 08, 2016, 05:09 PM »
I think that when the color is applied, the 3D surface will make it so it doesn't look bigger. I like that royal guard/empire mando design, and I can see you using a lot of imperial elements (ex: insignia on armor) with building this.

One thing I noticed that might help is with your flightsuit arms. It looks like you could have them taken in a bit to make them a bit less baggy. I can't determine if you'd get dinged in app, but it would definitely help aesthetically, especially when the gauntlets come on.

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #96 on: Apr 09, 2016, 01:27 AM »
One thing I noticed that might help is with your flightsuit arms. It looks like you could have them taken in a bit to make them a bit less baggy. I can't determine if you'd get dinged in app, but it would definitely help aesthetically, especially when the gauntlets come on.

I agree vod, next month (when I get some more time) I'm going to take the entire flight suit (and flak vest for that matter) and bring it to a professional tailor, to have them measure it on me, and do the adjustments necessary to have it fit correctly.  The flak vest is quite tight, and the flight-suit is a little loose.

Kol Varek

« Reply #97 on: Apr 09, 2016, 02:32 AM »
I'm a very scrawny guy, and the flightsuit I got has terrible proportions to me. I couldn't get one that had the right leg length, and even the one I have now is too short! But I had to have my sleeves taken in 2" in order for it to not be extremely baggy.

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #98 on: Apr 09, 2016, 08:12 AM »
One size does not fit all.  :)  Also, Oya ner'vod on your Killstripes.  Glad you made it!

Kol Varek

« Reply #99 on: Apr 09, 2016, 03:25 PM »
Thank you vod, been doing cartwheels all week. Keep up the good work, you'll have yours in no time!

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #100 on: Apr 09, 2016, 09:47 PM »
Girth Belt Fabric Sourced!
Reference and Information

Nearly a year ago, I stumbled upon an amazing building of a kit from a vod in the Arizona chapter who was doing some crazy things with a Torguta style armor build.  Mercy as we know him, is an amazing engineer of what he has to work with, and in one of his threads he found some incredible fabric at Walmart of all places.  I looked for the fabric high and low, and just recently sourced it at Walmart.  So buckets off to Mercy for the idea and sharing of the information - and below you'll see what I have to work with now.

Item Number is 1967310 and it is called Faux Leather Nubuck  - according to Walmart's website it is only available in stores, not online. 

« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2016, 02:42 AM by Evad » Logged

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #101 on: Apr 18, 2016, 12:00 AM »
Design Update
Torso Plate Redesign

As I was perusing some bookmarked threads for tips and tricks on building legacy armor, I happened to stumble upon a magnificent strategy to tackling the age old issue of spacing and uniformity.  Ronan's Thread showed this amazing setup, so I bent his ear a bit on how it was setup, and figured out a few of the issues he had - and began to engineer ways around that.  After that was done, I put together the following redesigns, that would still hold true to my original thought, but would be more uniform, and ultimately easier to arrange.  So thanks to Ronan for being such an ingenious inventor for this system. 

Usually these designs would be more polished on the computer, but Photoshop has been having a fit lately (I think because it's still CS2) and I may need to find a suitable replacement soon.  But after putting this together, I printed out a mini template as one sheet and cut it out.  Thankfully a good friend of mine had purchased a Lego Jango figure for my Birthday, so I did have something to test it out on. 

I went ahead and made a full size paper template, and then transferred that to a cardboard cut-out.  I found that if I do a simple curve on the collarplate, it'll clear my head, but it will lift off of the shoulders quite a bit.  So either I'm going to need to add some padding so it has some full support, or I'm going to tack on Sintra to both the bottom and the top so it's more reinforced and it could potentially form into larger shoulder guards.  This Saturday I'm heading to my second armor party, and hopefully I'll be able to make more progress on that front.  I've also been contemplating adding trauma plates to my front torso plates, though likely only the top chest, so the others can still layer and slide as needed. 

Paint Scheme Ideas

The CorSec symbol.  At least that is the largest one I could find on the net.  Thankfully it's a fairly easy shape to reproduce.  I think I'm going to half that and situate each half on either side of my chest, with the diamond in the middle.  A Shapeways store is willing to print up a diamond for me that has the Corellian symbol on it, so I may go with that as a the diamond, or just style it myself.  My Mando is a Corellian after all (see bloodstripes). 

Cape and Shoulder Design.

So I have the fabric for my cape, that was the easy part, now I needed to actually construct a template.  I was using visual images from the Assassin's Creed games, because I like how the cape fell in most of those cases, however I didn't want one that would wrap around my arm - because slapstick comedy would ensue knowing how badly uncoordinated I am.  So I took another Mando's method and I'm going to have a slot installed on my backplate that will allow the shoulder cape to slide through keeping it in place. Below is the pattern I've chosen.  The top part wraps over the right shoulder and will fasten somewhere, the rest will folded on itself into a layered look down the back.

Shoulder Design.

This one is a little bit tricky.  My original desire is to have my left shoulder bulked up and my right shoulder left simple.  The reason for this is movement based only, as I want to have access to reach up and behind me with my right hand for a future installation of a weapon mount.  The left can be more bulky.  So for my left shoulder, I'm thinking of something a big bigger, and I came up with the following. 

I'll likely be putting more sintra in layers on it, but it's also just a very fluid concept at the moment.  I've got a lot of work ahead of me, but I'm starting to see more and more of this come together as the weeks go by. 

Updated Checklist

• Helmet - Needs Painted
  • Flight Suit - Needs Tailored
  • Vest - Needs Tailored
  • Armor Plates - Partially molded/Other parts in design phase
  • Gauntlets - Cut PVC
  • Girth BeltDesign Phase
  • Cape - Created Pattern
  • Boots - Obtained
  • Gloves - Obtained
  • Kama - Obtained Fabric

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #102 on: Apr 18, 2016, 05:07 AM »
Ignore this if you have - can't tell due to it not being on you. But you should be ending the ab plating at around your navel, give or take an inch for where your body bends. Otherwise, I like the redesign.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #103 on: Apr 18, 2016, 05:54 AM »
Ignore this if you have - can't tell due to it not being on you. But you should be ending the ab plating at around your navel, give or take an inch for where your body bends. Otherwise, I like the redesign.

I never really understood that concept to be honest.  It seems to leave a good three inches where the torso is exposed, even with the use of a belt.  Since my pants hem fits about three inches below my navel, it would seem that you'd want to cover all of that real estate with armor.  I couldn't find anything on the CRLs either that would state this as a necessity.  Any thoughts on why this is a commonly seen practice?

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #104 on: Apr 18, 2016, 06:11 AM »
The majority of canon references do not have armour in that gap so it is generally used as the cut off point. The three inches above your belt level that you mentioned is where the girth belt tends to sit.
You can have the armour run further down if you want, however, from the stand point of having done that myself with the belts over the top - it is just a pain as the belts get trapped between plates after a bit of walking around and the plates get pushed out of position and stick out at funny angles. There are ways to stop the above from happening - so if you want to do it, we won't stop you, just be aware that they are potential issues that will need looking into.
Also, that area of the torso really does need to bend (8 hours in kit with minimal movement is not fun) so you will need thinner lames over the ab to allow for that flex. The solid plate you have shown won't allow for as much comfort as splitting it further would. Again - if you don't mind the lack of flex - go for it. But I really would recommend planning for a full range of motion in kit - sitting down and bending over without anything digging in are two things that everybody should plan for before making armour, not lamenting the lack afterwards :P

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!