Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Get'al Aran Beskar'gam WIP

• 129 Replies

Evad

• Shereshoy
Re: Get'al Aran Beskar'gam WIP
« Reply #75 on: Nov 13, 2015, 05:15 AM »
Helmet is looking good so far. For the flight suit, I think that you need to tailor the legs quite a bit. Get rid of the hammer loop and the zipper on the butt. Dickies logo has to go as well. If you are rocking a kama then the stuff of the seat doesn't need to be removed.

Yeah I thought the legs need to be tailored as well.  They seem a bit too baggy for my tastes.  I do plan to have a kama, and I also plan to have side coverings for my calves, so most of that will take care of any extra removal, and cover up the 'earthwear' nicely. 

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #76 on: Nov 25, 2015, 01:00 AM »
The Bucket Arrives!

Courtesy of NME Props

Well vode it was a long wait, but it was so well worth it.  I placed this custom order in June of this year and I got the bucket today.  The guys at NME did an amazing job on this custom order, and buckets off to them for such great ingenuity.  The quality is outstanding, the bucket itself is rock solid - and while I won't test exactly how strong it is, I'm not afraid that dropping it would do more than pop off the range finder if it hit the ground in the wrong way.  So without further ado, let's get into the visuals.

Overall Design

Here's what the finished form looks like.  I took the style of the Imperial Royal Guard Helmet and fused it with NME Props Stalker Helmet to form what you see above.  Also if anyone happens to know the exact shade of red used for the Imperial Royal Guard helmet, please send that info my way - as I'd like to bring in that color to part of the helmet. 

Functionality

While most Mercs have to take their helmet off for eating, drinking, or scratching their nose, I commissioned this to open up in similar fashion to Mandalore's overhead visor, but this one is simply for the practical purpose of getting to my head if I need to without removing the helmet.  NME props also found a way to make the range finder functional along with the visor sliding up. 

Test Fit #1

I used a scarf balled up for padding so the helmet would sit right for a picture.  I've heard several times on Keldabe Talk Radio, and read in other places that the helmet will look like a Bobble-head or "Bobbaly Fett" when you're not in kit and trying it on.  Initially I thought it was too big, but I'm not sure.  Let me know what you all think about the helmet, and the size of it.  I know I will need to pad the top, back and sides of the helmet to fit comfortably without it feeling like it's having to balance on my skull, creating a bell affect.  Excuse the circles on the mirror, I was testing a nerf gun :)

Updated Checklist

• Helmet - Obtained
  • Flight Suit - Obtained
  • Vest - Obtained
  • Armor Plates - Partially molded/Other parts in design phase
  • Gauntlets - Purchased PVC
  • Girth BeltPre-Design Phase
  • Cape - Purchased Fabric
  • Boots - Obtained
  • Gloves - Obtained
  • Kama - Design Phase

Suggestions and Comments Welcome

« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2015, 01:21 AM by Evad » Logged

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #77 on: Nov 25, 2015, 01:05 AM »
Now THAT'S cool!

It may be a bit too big, but don't let that stop you. Ideally your bucket should be 1/2 your shoulder width out of kit - if it's larger, you can always bulk out your shoulders with pauldrons and the like. I also painted my earcaps black to disguise my helmet width, haha.

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #78 on: Nov 25, 2015, 07:40 AM »
Size is fine. Brilliant design vod.

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #79 on: Nov 25, 2015, 09:04 AM »
Okay, that's pretty awesome. I cant wait to see this all finished.

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #80 on: Nov 25, 2015, 01:42 PM »
Great custom job of the Stalker by NME. I'd say its a tad bit big but not crazy bobbleheadedy.

Redness

• Surrender. Or don't. That would be more fun.
  • Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #81 on: Nov 25, 2015, 01:55 PM »
that's... amazing, simply amazing :o Great job!

MMCC #1529
M.A.B.E.L. #065
#1 Armor WIP
#2 Verpine WIP
#3 Jodo Kast WIP

Tyno Krast

• Easy way or hard way? Either way, I get paid.
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #82 on: Nov 25, 2015, 02:36 PM »

Kav is 100% correct about the sizing. So just measure the width of your shoulders and if the opening of the bucket is half your shoulder width you're in the zone.

I think the size is fine for you. Looks big in civies but once you get suited up it will look perfect.

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #83 on: Nov 28, 2015, 09:28 PM »
So when trying it on without padding, my head can be inside the helmet and not touch any of the sides, and I can turn my head half way to either side before I touch the helmet. I'm wondering if that's what all of you experienced before adding padding to the inside of your buckets.  Thoughts?

« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2015, 02:56 AM by Evad » Logged

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #84 on: Nov 29, 2015, 08:32 AM »
I have about 1" of space all the way around. If you pad it securely, it shouldn't matter too much how much space there was before. And besides, more room means more room for electronics! ;D

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #85 on: Dec 03, 2015, 08:03 AM »
As long as the external size looks right on you then you're good. I know people who have very little room in their helmets (I fit this as my glasses touch the edges of my bucket and getting it on and off is an interesting dance) yet my helmet is on the edge of being too large. And I know others who have inches of padding all round and the helmet looks if anything a little small. It all depends on your head to shoulder width ratio once you're in kit.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Corvus

• "Rejoice. For very bad things are about to happen.
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months EnviroOps
« Reply #86 on: Dec 03, 2015, 10:38 PM »
That bucket is beyond amazing!

| MMCC #1219 | K.O.M.S #50 | IT-Mando #19 | M.V.S.  #21 | S.O.S. #15
WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=83165.0
« Reply #87 on: Dec 31, 2015, 12:43 PM »
Absolutely fantastic progress so far. Can't wait to see how this turns out.  :)

"... we think too often in terms of dualism: Jedi or Sith, light or dark, right or wrong. But there are three sides to this blade, not two, opposed and similar at the same time . . . the third edge is the Mandalorian."   - Vergere

Armor WIP

Tyno Krast

• Easy way or hard way? Either way, I get paid.
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #88 on: Jan 03, 2016, 07:43 PM »
In my mando I've got a little wiggle room in my helmet after padding. But that's only because I'm not done pimping out the interior. My TIE pilot helmet fits like a motorcycle helmet. I could do handstands and that thing isn't coming off. Wait....let me rephrase that....IF I could do handstands that thing isn't coming off.  :P

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #89 on: Jan 27, 2016, 12:29 AM »
Buy'ce Padding Attempt #1
Foam Pads

These pads do allow the helmet to sit correctly on my head.  However due to the weight of the helmet itself, I have found that it does cause some pressure on my head, which I don't like feeling.  I am considering a suspension rig from a hard hat, as suggested by other Mercs on this WIP.  I've looked at some of the rigs I can buy without the hat itself off of Amazon and other places, and I also heard that Industrial Velcro works well.  I used regular 3M velcro tiles to hold in these pads at least for the first pass.  They work rather well.  The cheek pads and the back pad keep it at least slightly snug so it doesn't wobble.  I'm hoping the suspension rig will make it more stable, and by then I should know if I need a chin strap or not.  I'm going to get these pads covered in a cotton fabric so that it'll be easier to work with if I need to alter their placement. 

« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2016, 12:46 AM by Evad » Logged

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #90 on: Mar 21, 2016, 08:43 PM »
Suspension Harness Installed

Up Close Installation

The blue arrow indicates where I placed the velcro to hold onto the helmet.  I applied four velcro squares to the four points closest to the helmet, and was able to put on the bucket and take it off several times without being ripped from the position.  It also holds the helmet very steady on my head and doesn't wobble.  The original issue I had with this was the weight of the bucket on my head, and this takes all that weight away.  It no longer rests on the top of my head, but the rig allows it to easily disperse the weight so it's to the sides of my head, which a far more comfortable fit.

Rig Purchase

This is North by Honeywell 4 Point Ratchet system suspension rig.  Follow the link and you can purchase it, and even pick it up to try it on if there is a Grainger store around you. Their chat help on the site was very helpful in choosing the right one.  https://www.grainger.com/product/NORTH-BY-HONEYWELL-Replacement-Suspension-39T777?functionCode=P2IDP2PCP

Test Fit #2
With Bucket

The fit with the bucket looks much better than my civvies - so I think with the right application of armor this will fit perfectly.  I appreciate all the help and advice from the vode, and I look forward to getting more of the armor set ready for the kit, and then move onto the painting phase.  I did do some minor work on the weapons, but there are no new pictures at this time.

Suggestions and Comments Welcomed!

Kol Varek

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #91 on: Mar 21, 2016, 11:09 PM »
Vod! You're alive! Great to see you back in the game! With those soft parts, you definitely look Imperial! Can't wait to see this finished!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

teraxis

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #92 on: Mar 24, 2016, 12:44 AM »
looking good man!  looking forward to seeing your progress

Mercs # 838
Photo Bucket Ate The Rest of My Signature.

SharkimusPrime

• Rho'dan Turel
« Reply #93 on: Mar 27, 2016, 04:53 PM »
This kit is bonkers. I love it. Can't wait to see it finished

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #94 on: Apr 08, 2016, 05:05 AM »
Photoshop Mock-Up
Visor

I wanted to get a visual representation up for the part of the helmet that would be specific to a callback of my Mando's history with the Empire.  A former Royal Guard turned Mandalorian.  (Of course he made the right call).  The plan for this is to head to an automotive paint shop, bring a swatch of red velvet fabric (The kind the 501st Sovereign Protectors use) and have them color match that and paint this with a high gloss.  The rest of the helmet I'll do myself with various spray paints, once I figure out a proper design.  I wanted to get the vode's thoughts on how the mock up looks. 

Oddly enough I find that this color change makes the helmet look bigger.  *shrugs*

Updated Checklist

• Helmet - Obtained
  • Flight Suit - Obtained
  • Vest - Obtained
  • Armor Plates - Partially molded/Other parts in design phase
  • Gauntlets - Cut PVC - Planning Phase
  • Girth BeltPre-Design Phase
  • Cape - Purchased Fabric
  • Boots - Obtained
  • Gloves - Obtained
  • Kama - Design Phase

Comments and Suggestions Welcome!

« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2016, 05:10 AM by Evad » Logged

Kol Varek

« Reply #95 on: Apr 08, 2016, 05:09 PM »
I think that when the color is applied, the 3D surface will make it so it doesn't look bigger. I like that royal guard/empire mando design, and I can see you using a lot of imperial elements (ex: insignia on armor) with building this.

One thing I noticed that might help is with your flightsuit arms. It looks like you could have them taken in a bit to make them a bit less baggy. I can't determine if you'd get dinged in app, but it would definitely help aesthetically, especially when the gauntlets come on.

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #96 on: Apr 09, 2016, 01:27 AM »
One thing I noticed that might help is with your flightsuit arms. It looks like you could have them taken in a bit to make them a bit less baggy. I can't determine if you'd get dinged in app, but it would definitely help aesthetically, especially when the gauntlets come on.

I agree vod, next month (when I get some more time) I'm going to take the entire flight suit (and flak vest for that matter) and bring it to a professional tailor, to have them measure it on me, and do the adjustments necessary to have it fit correctly.  The flak vest is quite tight, and the flight-suit is a little loose.

Kol Varek

« Reply #97 on: Apr 09, 2016, 02:32 AM »
I'm a very scrawny guy, and the flightsuit I got has terrible proportions to me. I couldn't get one that had the right leg length, and even the one I have now is too short! But I had to have my sleeves taken in 2" in order for it to not be extremely baggy.

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #98 on: Apr 09, 2016, 08:12 AM »
One size does not fit all.  :)  Also, Oya ner'vod on your Killstripes.  Glad you made it!

Kol Varek

« Reply #99 on: Apr 09, 2016, 03:25 PM »
Thank you vod, been doing cartwheels all week. Keep up the good work, you'll have yours in no time!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!