Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Get'al Aran Beskar'gam WIP

• 129 Replies

Evad

• Shereshoy
Re: Get'al Aran Beskar'gam WIP
« Reply #100 on: Apr 09, 2016, 09:47 PM »
Girth Belt Fabric Sourced!
Reference and Information

Nearly a year ago, I stumbled upon an amazing building of a kit from a vod in the Arizona chapter who was doing some crazy things with a Torguta style armor build.  Mercy as we know him, is an amazing engineer of what he has to work with, and in one of his threads he found some incredible fabric at Walmart of all places.  I looked for the fabric high and low, and just recently sourced it at Walmart.  So buckets off to Mercy for the idea and sharing of the information - and below you'll see what I have to work with now.

Item Number is 1967310 and it is called Faux Leather Nubuck  - according to Walmart's website it is only available in stores, not online. 

« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2016, 02:42 AM by Evad » Logged

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #101 on: Apr 18, 2016, 12:00 AM »
Design Update
Torso Plate Redesign

As I was perusing some bookmarked threads for tips and tricks on building legacy armor, I happened to stumble upon a magnificent strategy to tackling the age old issue of spacing and uniformity.  Ronan's Thread showed this amazing setup, so I bent his ear a bit on how it was setup, and figured out a few of the issues he had - and began to engineer ways around that.  After that was done, I put together the following redesigns, that would still hold true to my original thought, but would be more uniform, and ultimately easier to arrange.  So thanks to Ronan for being such an ingenious inventor for this system. 

Usually these designs would be more polished on the computer, but Photoshop has been having a fit lately (I think because it's still CS2) and I may need to find a suitable replacement soon.  But after putting this together, I printed out a mini template as one sheet and cut it out.  Thankfully a good friend of mine had purchased a Lego Jango figure for my Birthday, so I did have something to test it out on. 

I went ahead and made a full size paper template, and then transferred that to a cardboard cut-out.  I found that if I do a simple curve on the collarplate, it'll clear my head, but it will lift off of the shoulders quite a bit.  So either I'm going to need to add some padding so it has some full support, or I'm going to tack on Sintra to both the bottom and the top so it's more reinforced and it could potentially form into larger shoulder guards.  This Saturday I'm heading to my second armor party, and hopefully I'll be able to make more progress on that front.  I've also been contemplating adding trauma plates to my front torso plates, though likely only the top chest, so the others can still layer and slide as needed. 

Paint Scheme Ideas

The CorSec symbol.  At least that is the largest one I could find on the net.  Thankfully it's a fairly easy shape to reproduce.  I think I'm going to half that and situate each half on either side of my chest, with the diamond in the middle.  A Shapeways store is willing to print up a diamond for me that has the Corellian symbol on it, so I may go with that as a the diamond, or just style it myself.  My Mando is a Corellian after all (see bloodstripes). 

Cape and Shoulder Design.

So I have the fabric for my cape, that was the easy part, now I needed to actually construct a template.  I was using visual images from the Assassin's Creed games, because I like how the cape fell in most of those cases, however I didn't want one that would wrap around my arm - because slapstick comedy would ensue knowing how badly uncoordinated I am.  So I took another Mando's method and I'm going to have a slot installed on my backplate that will allow the shoulder cape to slide through keeping it in place. Below is the pattern I've chosen.  The top part wraps over the right shoulder and will fasten somewhere, the rest will folded on itself into a layered look down the back.

Shoulder Design.

This one is a little bit tricky.  My original desire is to have my left shoulder bulked up and my right shoulder left simple.  The reason for this is movement based only, as I want to have access to reach up and behind me with my right hand for a future installation of a weapon mount.  The left can be more bulky.  So for my left shoulder, I'm thinking of something a big bigger, and I came up with the following. 

I'll likely be putting more sintra in layers on it, but it's also just a very fluid concept at the moment.  I've got a lot of work ahead of me, but I'm starting to see more and more of this come together as the weeks go by. 

Updated Checklist

• Helmet - Needs Painted
  • Flight Suit - Needs Tailored
  • Vest - Needs Tailored
  • Armor Plates - Partially molded/Other parts in design phase
  • Gauntlets - Cut PVC
  • Girth BeltDesign Phase
  • Cape - Created Pattern
  • Boots - Obtained
  • Gloves - Obtained
  • Kama - Obtained Fabric

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #102 on: Apr 18, 2016, 05:07 AM »
Ignore this if you have - can't tell due to it not being on you. But you should be ending the ab plating at around your navel, give or take an inch for where your body bends. Otherwise, I like the redesign.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #103 on: Apr 18, 2016, 05:54 AM »
Ignore this if you have - can't tell due to it not being on you. But you should be ending the ab plating at around your navel, give or take an inch for where your body bends. Otherwise, I like the redesign.

I never really understood that concept to be honest.  It seems to leave a good three inches where the torso is exposed, even with the use of a belt.  Since my pants hem fits about three inches below my navel, it would seem that you'd want to cover all of that real estate with armor.  I couldn't find anything on the CRLs either that would state this as a necessity.  Any thoughts on why this is a commonly seen practice?

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #104 on: Apr 18, 2016, 06:11 AM »
The majority of canon references do not have armour in that gap so it is generally used as the cut off point. The three inches above your belt level that you mentioned is where the girth belt tends to sit.
You can have the armour run further down if you want, however, from the stand point of having done that myself with the belts over the top - it is just a pain as the belts get trapped between plates after a bit of walking around and the plates get pushed out of position and stick out at funny angles. There are ways to stop the above from happening - so if you want to do it, we won't stop you, just be aware that they are potential issues that will need looking into.
Also, that area of the torso really does need to bend (8 hours in kit with minimal movement is not fun) so you will need thinner lames over the ab to allow for that flex. The solid plate you have shown won't allow for as much comfort as splitting it further would. Again - if you don't mind the lack of flex - go for it. But I really would recommend planning for a full range of motion in kit - sitting down and bending over without anything digging in are two things that everybody should plan for before making armour, not lamenting the lack afterwards :P

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2016, 02:42 AM »
Update

So there has not been much progress that I have documented with pictures, but there are a few things that I've had the opportunity to work on.  First I was able to get my flightsuit and vest tailored, however I do need to go back to the tailor so they can work around the neck seal as that needs to be further adjusted.  Secondly, my cape has been cut and now needs to be stitched and sewn to properly fall how I want it.  I also started working on the Kama, though the initial cut looks to be a little too small, so I think I'll need to cut out a larger pattern. 

I took the visor of my helmet to a shop that will paint it professionally, but he's backed up right now, so I've got at least another week before I can even see what he's been able to do with it.  It was surprisingly hard to find a automotive paint place that would be able to do that.  Here's hoping it's a good fit, because the guy has already had it for like two weeks, and hasn't touched it. 

I ordered my tickets for Celebration in Orlando for next year, as I do hope to have my kit at least wearable by that time.  So that's the deadline I've set for myself.  Now I just need to find the time to work on the kit fully. 

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #106 on: Jun 07, 2016, 12:30 AM »
Visor Painted!

I was recently contacted by the paintshop that had my visor.  I haven't been able to go back up to my parent's house where it's sitting, but I did get some pictures, and I saw it on Skype.  The visor looks so impressive, and exactly what I was going for.  Reports from the parents say that it feels as smooth as glass, and it's super glossy.  So I think this really sells the homage to the Royal Guard influence of my kit.  I don't yet know what I'll be doing with the rest of the paint job (which I'll be handling) but this has got me stoked!

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #107 on: Jun 07, 2016, 11:09 AM »
Oooooh, very nice!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

aforklikeutensil

• Porgiatrician
« Reply #109 on: Jun 09, 2016, 01:52 PM »
Nice.  Loving the concept and can't wait to see the (rest of the) execution.

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #110 on: Jun 09, 2016, 08:07 PM »
Love the helmet Vod it's lovely so far!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #111 on: Jul 03, 2016, 02:16 AM »
Cape Progress

This is meant to be a shoulder cape that will hang over my right shoulder and go down to the back of my knee.  The wider section will have pleats or folds that will hopefully hold so it looks more regal.  This is the other portion of the kit that will be a hallmark to the former profession of the royal guard.  It's the same red velvet that the 501st Imperial Royal Guards use for their robes.  The seams are sewn, and it looks pretty good, though I may actually cut off the end, as the decorative border is a little odd.

This is the cape next to the pattern I created on the computer.

Draceline

• Angel of War
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Special Weapons
« Reply #112 on: Jul 13, 2016, 09:35 PM »
I love that visor. It would also help with heat dumping when need be.

This design is quite impressive so far. As is your meticulous planning. I've rarely been able to sit and plan anything in any definitive fashion. My works seem to be more "evolve as you go."

I look forward to more updates.

"As Mandalorians, we don't need the Force.
But should you ever want it on your side, don't give it a choice:
Make the Force be with you."

Armor - Soft Parts - Buy'ce - Armory
MARS #47 | NOS #02 | LOB #18 | Draluram #8 | MAJIC #161

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #113 on: Dec 31, 2016, 08:51 PM »
Update

Happy New Year to the Vode!

Well it has been a long while since I have made any progress or updates to this thread.  Since July actually, which is terrible.  I was able to get a little bit of work done on the start of my gauntlets, but other than that, I haven't had any time to devote to the kit.  Originally I had planned to have the kit wearable to attend the 2017 Celebration in Orlando.  Unfortunately that isn't going to be happening.  I don't know how much time I'll have this new year, but I've certainly not forgotten about this project or the vode.  Just wanted to let you all know that I'm still alive - simply trying to find the time to work on it.  Here's hoping everyone has a great New Year.  Oya!

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #114 on: Jan 01, 2017, 02:38 PM »
Don't sweat it, Evad.  Real life interferes with the important stuff for all of us.   8)  We'll be here whenever you can get stuff done.  Just take your time and keep making your kit awesome.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Syko Voss

• 'Simon'/'Simes' OM#1469
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #115 on: Jan 02, 2017, 12:46 PM »
Amen to that!  (Back after about 5 months of RL chaos, myself.)
Take care dude!

Andr_Soul

• I will show no mercy!
« Reply #116 on: Jan 26, 2017, 10:53 AM »
I'm big fan of Imperial Royal Guard (c since read Crimison Empire) your idea for the helmet just brilliant :o . I look forward to updates ....

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #117 on: May 20, 2017, 09:09 PM »
UPDATE!

Oya ner'vode!  It's been a while since I've been able to do much with the kit.  That is all about to change though!  After recently moving into a new apartment, I have a substantial bit more room to work with.  The new place has both a patio, and a garage that I can use for my kit - but that is not the most exciting part. 

A new brother is joining clan Rancor, and he's nearby.  We've already collaborated and are dedicated to putting together our kits.  He's got the tools, the knowledge, and the shop space we both need to really hammer these kits out.  Tomorrow is our first day to work on the kits and I'm stoked. 

Also, I figured it was time to get my first (of probably many) storage bins that I can use to transport the kit in all of it's various stages.  I purchased a Sterilite Rolling Tote for twenty dollars.  For now it'll work for my purposes, but eventually I'll need to find something bigger to fit all of my kit within. 

aforklikeutensil

• Porgiatrician
« Reply #118 on: May 20, 2017, 09:55 PM »
Working on kits is always more fun when you're not flying solo.  Can't wait to see things continue to take shape.

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #119 on: May 21, 2017, 10:16 PM »
Gauntlet Progress

Gauntlets are made of a tube of PVC pipe.  Two sections were cut with the longer part covering the top of my forearm, and the lower being the shorter side for movement.  Then we screwed in the butterfly hinge to both pieces, and finally cut the shape to round the edges for the top of the forearm.

Gauntlet's Rough Cut

Then we sanded and rounded the corners to give the gauntlets a more streamlined feel.  There is still some shaping to do for these as the base, but I was happy with how it turned out fairly quickly. 

Gauntlet's Sanded

And last but not least, helped out in doing a version two Clone Helmet resin casting pull and got pictures with the currently in progress buckets.

Buckets Off!

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #120 on: May 28, 2017, 03:59 PM »
Awesome!!
I really love the way you have the helmet set up.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #121 on: Jun 02, 2017, 07:49 PM »
Armor Weekend Preparation

So this coming Sunday afternoon is approaching fast, and it's the second time I get to work on my armor within a month's time-frame.  This is unprecedented, and it looks like these will continue to happen.  So I'm very excited to be able to continue along with what we've been doing.  In preparation for Sunday, I went to Home Depot and Goodwill to pick up some more supplies.  I picked up three cans of spray paint, as the helmet and guns are on my list to get some love. 

So I couldn't find the gunmetal gray I wanted, that I've seen so much of, but the aged metal has me optimistic that it'll be just as good or better.  The black will be used primarily for my guns, and the crimson will be used for some highlights.  Gray/Silver, Black, and Red are the colors I've secured for my kit.  Also, funny story.  While shopping at Home Depot and picking out these colors, the Star Wars themesong was playing over the PA system. 

Odds and Ends

I went to Goodwill this evening and picked up some more source materials for the soft parts of my kit, and found a few extra things along the way that I just couldn't pass up.  The belts will be used atop the girth belt I still have to design and put together.  They also might be used for hanging holsters off of, or securing the kama.

Here's the entire loot from my trip there.  The backpack is specifically for the straps, so I can start construction on a shoulder harness for my legacy plates.  The fact that it was a Star Wars backpack also didn't hurt matters either ;)

This decorative metal chain I think will look good somewhere on my kit, not sure, and I may paint it a different color than the bright silver.  Not sure, but it was a good find.

Found this in a Gamestop box, apparently it was for some kind of exercise contraption.  Also came with a long green rubber attachment and some plastic ends for a nylon connection.  This part however makes me think it might be useful as some sort of holster situation. 

Also picked up this guy and a Vader one.  They are coin banks with a slot on the top.  Not sure if I'll be using them at all, but for a buck each, I couldn't pass them up.  I call this one the Boba Bank, and the other the Vader Vault. 

Ideas and Comments Welcome!

« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2017, 07:55 PM by Evad » Logged

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #122 on: Jun 02, 2017, 09:08 PM »
Awesome!  I look forward to seeing what progress you make!  ;D ;D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Arkham

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #123 on: Jun 03, 2017, 10:03 AM »
One warning I can give you; Make sure to do a test coat of the 'Weathered Steel' paint on a large piece of scrap Sintra , if you have one, before coating your armor with it . The color is great, but it does have a mild texture to it that looks great as an exposed layer. However, if using it as a metallic base-coat, it can give added color layers an orange-peel-ish effect. On my armor I think I got it to the point where it is not overly noticeable. They do make a 'Dark Steel' paint, which appears to be about the same color but without the texture (but I haven't tried it to confirm).

Arkham's WIP

Tra'cor Clan // G.O.M.O.L # 032 // M.V.S #68 // O.O.P.S.! #52 // L.O.B #49

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #124 on: Jun 04, 2017, 11:34 PM »
One warning I can give you; Make sure to do a test coat of the 'Weathered Steel' paint on a large piece of scrap Sintra , if you have one, before coating your armor with it . The color is great, but it does have a mild texture to it that looks great as an exposed layer. However, if using it as a metallic base-coat, it can give added color layers an orange-peel-ish effect. On my armor I think I got it to the point where it is not overly noticeable. They do make a 'Dark Steel' paint, which appears to be about the same color but without the texture (but I haven't tried it to confirm).

Thanks for the tips vod, ironically that particular paint can wouldn't work; as the nozzle itself was defective so I can't even use it if I wanted to.  LOL.

Helmet Painting

So I finally started to paint the bucket!  I kept trying to think of a design I wanted to go with, but I decided not to do a unique design just yet, but simply paint the crevices and other embellishments that are already on the bucket.  I used the Flat Soft Iron paint I picked up at Lowes.

1st Base Coat

Did a very light coat, as instructed per my vod helping me out with my build.  He was very helpful in teaching this novice how to properly paint, and what to avoid.  I certainly didn't understand the fine touch mechanics of it, but I'm very glad for his help.

2nd Base Coat

These pictures are with the visor removed.  I did end up getting a couple of the same paint on the ear caps, but they didn't get pictures yet.  I'll be masking off parts and pieces of the helmet next and applying coats of other colors for contrast, and then I'll go into weathering mode.  So far just a single base coat made such a world of difference.  It's rather amazing to me that just one color can make something go from looking like plastic, to a fully fleshed out piece of armor.  Also, just with this coat, I took a look at how the visor stands out, and it's incredible.  :)

Next Sunday I'll be joining my Merc brother again to work for another 5-6 hours, and will likely have a lot more to show for it.  Head over to my Weapons WIP (in my signature) to see the other progress I made today. 

Did a layer of masking off so I could prep the next part of the paint process, the exposed layer will get a coat of black stainless, although I still have to do some work and get the pips on the front at the top of the brow covered, as those will be silver.  As well I'm waiting on getting some masking fluid (or making my own with toothpaste) before I apply that.  Planning to tackle the paint on Sunday.

Updated Checklist

• Helmet - Painting
  • Flight Suit - Tailored
  • Vest - Tailored, but needs more adjustments
  • Armor Plates - Partially molded/Other parts in design phase
  • Gauntlets - Roughly formed and shaped, with hinges attached
  • Girth BeltPre-Design Phase
  • Cape - Measured and Cut, needs pleats.
  • Boots - Obtained
  • Gloves - Obtained
  • Kama - Re-Design Phase

« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2017, 09:01 PM by Evad » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!