Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Cat builds a Mando (First Build - endless upgrades edition)

• 182 Replies

Catika

• "No permanent harm done."
I've been lurking for 6 years. I guess it's time to build. :D

My MandoMaker design:

A few things: I have white paint and I also bought an off-white/cream (Krylon's Almond) to try and layer with so it's not so stark-y white. I definitely want a half-cape but I'm not 100% sure on the color yet until I see the other pieces. I want a scarf as well. I may end up nixing the cape to do a loooong scarf. NOT SURE YET

Priming up my Rubies helmet:

I have 6mm sintra on order, so I know this is for real now. My plan is to have it finished by mid-August for a convention.

My sad and short list of things:
Helmet: Rubies helmet, T-visor.com visor on order
Armor: 6mm sintra, mostly cut, mostly shaped
Vest: Duck cloth, done!
Flight suit: Done!
Boots: Done! (Thx Goodwill).
Other soft parts: Grey army belt and a handful of pouches ... so far. And a gold tactical scarf.

My next question is! I was thinking about being a medic. I'm in the medical field and this just sounds like fun! Am I able to submit an application for general Mando Merc acceptance, then apply to be a Medic at a later time? I'm asking because I feel like I'm on a time crunch and I'm not sure I can gather all the Medic reqs before August!

And the thing on my mind right now is: what method to shape my plates with, and how to attach them. I'm female but not incredibly well-endowed so I'd like to go with a more gentle curve for the chest plates. Can I stick the sintra in the oven and mold it from there? Will I need a heat gun?

I've heard of making a duck tape mold of the torso to help shape. Or maybe I'm mixing up my tutorials. I've been on this site all day you guys.  :laugh:

« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2015, 02:10 PM by Catika » Logged

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
Re: Cat builds a Mando (First Build WIP)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 10:28 PM »
Short Sleeve solution: get a second pair of scrub pants, cut off the legs and sew the legs into the short sleeves. 

You have to apply to the general MMCC before applying for the Brigades (which is where the Medic Specilization goes) so to answer your question; yes.  It's what is recomended actually.

Best way to shape your plates is a heat gun and a few friends.  As for attachment, there are a few different methods.  I prefer Velcro (especially for first time costumers) since it allows for adjustment, sew velcro onto your soft parts and then stick velcro to the back of the plates.  The next most common method is Chicago screws (also called post screws) and/or rivets; drill holes in your plates and then punch holes in your soft parts, using either rivets or Chicago screws attach plates to soft parts.  Finally there are magnets, but that's the most expensive and work intensive of the methods.  Glue magnets to your plates, glue magnets to your soft parts...and attach. 

And there is a way to make a duck tape dummy to help with shaping.  You take an old t-shirt and a few rolls of duck tape and have some friends wrap you in it until the tape is thick enough to hold it's own shape. then cut up the back, take it off, stuff it with filler material (old cloths, actual stuffing, scrap fabric, ect) and wallah.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Catika

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 10:40 PM »
AWESOME. Thank you! This is so helpful. I will look into getting a heat gun then. My husband has elected to cut out the pieces with a utility knife, and if he regrets that decision, then I'm going for a hot knife.

And that totally makes sense for the Brigade process--general acceptance first, specialization later.

I'm glad I thought to pick up duck tape today!

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 07:46 AM »
The utility knife is a great method, takes time but it is worth it.

Like the design.

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

Lilura Amas

• The Squeak'alor
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 08:44 AM »
Hi Cat! As a femmando I wanted to chime in on your build. I love your design, the white plates on dark soft parts is going to look awesome. I actually cut apart a torso mannequin for my chest plates and then used sintra for my other plates. If you are going for subtle curve what I recommend is using a large can..bondo cans are great...and taking a heat gun and laying the sintra over the can and carefully heating it with a heat gun to get the basic curve shape then have a friend help mold it to you.

One other method for plate attachment I didnt see mentioned is snaps. They work well and are not as labor intensive as some of the other methods. I used a combo of velcro and snaps.

Soft parts I like the idea of your vest, just keep in mind that it will get HOT...faux leather doesnt breathe at all.

Boots once you get that far a great site and where I got mine was amieclubwear.com. just keep in mind chunky herls are ok..sthilletos are not. When in doubt always ask either your Ruusalor or an App team member.

Good luck and have fun with it!

^^^ please excuse typos my smart phone is di'kutula
Mercaholic #122

OM #1178

Rylan Mar'kra

• Awards 40+ hrs Charity Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 09:14 AM »
I used a dremel tool to cut out the plates.  For the initial shaping, I heated in the oven.  Turned the oven to 200, put the plate in while preheating.  When oven dinged at temp, plate was good to shape.  A heat gun is great for shaping more specific areas (like a corner).  I also used Chicago rivets that I purchased from Tandy leather.  There's one on the west side of Indy.  Depending on your vest material (I used duck cloth), I supported my hole punch with a rubber washer from Lowes to prevent tearing.  Shouldn't be necessary if you're using leather. Good luck!!

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 09:29 AM »

Fettski

• The Crab'alor
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 50 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 10:43 AM »
For 6mm Sintra, I personally use my Jigsaw.  It works extremely well.  Using a utility knife can slip and if you are lucky, can simply scratch your part and add weathering and at the worst,  cut you and cause nerve damage.  I would also avoid putting plastics in my oven, if you forget about it and it melts onto the elements it can cause a big mess and ruin the taste of food for awhile and possibly contaminate foods with chemicals that are not safe.  If you want to use Chicgao screws also known as binding posts, Mcmaster carr is a good source.  I reinforce my vest with eyelets or grommets to prevent tearing.  Washers on the inside of the vest can help as well. 
That video that Carid posted has some great info in it.  I do not recommend using tape to mount plates. :D

Aliit ori'shya tal'din - "Family is more than blood.

Catika

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 09:30 PM »
All so helpful!!

I told my husband about cutting himself with the knife... even though he's an Eagle Scout we may go the hot knife or dremel route. ;)

Lilura, why do you tempt me with such cute shoes?! I found a pair, and of course there's a limited time sale going on... Gah!! I will look nearby tomorrow and decide if I want to order. I have no use for stilettos, luckily, because I'd just fall over or ask to be carried everywhere.   :D

I think I may be in for getting a heat gun too because the place we rent has a vintage, half-sized Chambers stove that I'm a little scared may heat the plastic all funky.

I will look into rivets too... although I've nixed using my old faux leather jacket. 1) it had a fake sweatshirt lining that would make it even HOTTER, and 2) I still kind of like the jacket. But yesterday I was ready to destroy things I love. FOR MANDA  >:(

Okay, I will cut the chatter and get to work tomorrow so I will actually have progress to show! (And watch the 55min informative video that looks amazing.)

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 11:28 PM »
When our Mand'alor talks, with the PO officer about armour, all should listen.

darthmayhem

• Garyth Skyblade Taakure- Medic
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 11:55 PM »
youve already gotten alot of awesome pointers here. i would only add welcome to the building process, and i too am a medic so further questions or possibly needed gear i may be able to assist.

-"O... that looks like it hurts, can i see your insurance card?"
-"First the doctor told me the good news: I was going to have a disease named after me."
-"The operation was a complete success, but the patient died of something else."
(Save Stripes XI)
M5 #19
Beards #07
mvs #06
KOMS # 22

Catika

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 09:53 PM »
I watched the video! So many good tips. Maybe I can shape all of my pieces in 45 minutes? Haha jk.

I bought a heat gun, rotary tool, safety glasses (!!), and sandpaper today at... Harbor Freight! That place was the best.

I tapered the legs of my scrubs because they were soooo baggy I looked like I was in a music video from the 90s. They look so much better now! I have my second pair to make long sleeves out of, but I think I'm done sewing for now.

Sorry for the dorky weird picture, but we're all friends here, right?

My helmet now has blue paint on the visor, ears, and antenna!

"Violent, you're turning VIOLET!" idk

A question I found today: What kind of velcro would you guys recommend for attachment? There's iron-on (which I guess wouldn't work for the plates), industrial strength (which said "don't use on plastics" but I don't always follow the rules), and I think some sort of generic stickyback regular kind.

Oh, yeah.. MY SINTRA ARRIVES TOMORROW!  :o

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 10:13 PM »
I hear most people use industrial strength when they use velcro. I just used some stuff bought from local fabric store didnt sya industrial or anything and it works great. Make sure u use extra glue if u use the stuff that has its own sticky on the back. An make sure you use non sticky back stuff for the peace on your flack vest it will screw up the needle on any sowing machine if it sticky backed.

darthmayhem

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 10:16 PM »
yea depends how you wanna do it i hand sew sticky back, it ruins the needle but extra hold to the industrial velcro. i like pop rivets myself. but that looks like a great start on everything. you painted your visor?

-"First the doctor told me the good news: I was going to have a disease named after me."
-"The operation was a complete success, but the patient died of something else."
(Save Stripes XI)
M5 #19
Beards #07
mvs #06
KOMS # 22

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 10:20 PM »
I have sew-on fuzzy velcro glued onto my flak with E6000 (found in Walmart's craft aisle and numerous other places I'm sure). I use industrial strength scratchy velcro on my plates.

I'm pretty sure she hasn't cut out the visor area yet or that looks like tape over it.

Catika

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 10:37 PM »
*taking notes on all things velcro* PERFECT. I will grab some when the time comes--after I get my vest figured out, I'll decide if I want to use all glue or sew onto the fabric. Thanks everyone!!

you painted your visor?

It took me a second to realize what you were asking, since the Rubies helmet comes Navy. WELL. Funny story, I made horrible trash can armor in college and I painted it all green and black! (Also I really need sleep--no I didn't paint the actual visor part, there's tape over it. I just meant the part around the visor. Wrong terminology, I'm going to BED)

So new paint job.  ;D

« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 10:40 PM by Catika » Logged

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 11:11 PM »
Use the industrial velcro.

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2015, 05:48 AM »
Awwwww, and green and black is such a good colour scheme (/biased) Looking forward to seeing it repainted.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

darthmayhem

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2015, 07:22 AM »
ok

(Save Stripes XI)
M5 #19
Beards #07
mvs #06
KOMS # 22

Lilura Amas

• The Squeak'alor
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2015, 06:55 PM »
If you are going to sew the velcro on your vest...dont for the love of mandalore get the sticky back stuff..Im pretty sure I invented new swear words as I bent needle after needle and stabbed myself multiple times trying to fight the needle through multiple layers of duck cloth and gummy junk from the velcro :laugh: it was all I had and I was DETERMINED to get my kit done. Sticky back is fine with super glue added to it for the plates.

Scrubs look much better now the legs are taken in!

And apologies about the shoes lol...I was drooling over some of them too..and I hear ya about the stilletos too..Im not a heels girl at all.

Your build is looking good! I actually like the black and green painti job too.

^^^ please excuse typos my smart phone is di'kutula
Mercaholic #122

OM #1178

Brokar Taakure

• Taakure Clan's skinny bastard XD
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2015, 10:41 PM »
If you are going to sew the velcro on your vest...dont for the love of mandalore get the sticky back stuff..Im pretty sure I invented new swear words as I bent needle after needle and stabbed myself multiple times trying to fight the needle through multiple layers of duck cloth and gummy junk from the velcro :laugh: it was all I had and I was DETERMINED to get my kit done. Sticky back is fine with super glue added to it for the plates.

Yes!!! I am learning how to sew from my grandmother and we made that mistake I for one do not curse near my grandparents I broke that rule many times. It can work but you'll never want to do it again. lols Besides that your bucket is looking nice!!

Merc #1011
Taakure clan 10/ E.M.T.S #110/ M.A.J.I.C.#141/V.R.C.A.#58/B.E.A.R.D.S.#82/KOMS #35

Catika

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2015, 10:35 PM »
I will tell my buir that you guys liked the green and black. He helped me paint it!! :) That was so many years ago lol.

I've been a busy bee. I had work all weekend, but my scrub top now has LONG SLEEVES! Yeaaahhh! Tried to pick up duck cloth at Joann Fabrics today but they closed on me. Curse working on Sundays and getting stuck in traffic!! So no vest yet.

My sintra came in... and I was freaked out because I didn't think I ordered enough. I got 5 sheets off 11x14''. Why did I think that would be big enough?! I plotted it out and I should have enough for all the reqs, including a back plate and spats. Luckily I am a small-ish person. :P I found a big sheet I can order from Amazon if I need more.

What else is going on...

I have my paper armor templates cut out. I have a couple of pictures but they may not be helpful, so I can take more. But any opinions that you can give for now would be SUPER

In this one, I just have the template taped to my shoulders so the paper is popping out to show the spacing.

I taped down sections to see how they looked actually curved a bit. I know it's not perfect!! But I'm trying to get the sizes/shapes correct.

(omg I look so serious.)

I know the sides of the belly plate are a little wider than the chest plates, but I'm trying to account for the chest plates curving and it seemed weird if the belly plate was too narrow. I actually made the little sticky-outy parts on the belly plate longer, but I could cut them back down if it's not right.

Thanks for all of your input, everyone!! I'm now in the market for tips and tricks about weathering. I've looked at this tutorial and it seems pretty straightforward. Anything to add??

darthmayhem

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2015, 12:12 PM »
yea i would say you need to trim plates a little bit. there is a spacing guideline under the armor requirements area. as long as you have those spacing limits your generally ok. females get a little room in the chest plate spacing department lol.

your collar and chest plates may be to wide in general and you may want to take about a half inch of both of the outter sides of the chest plates.

as for weathering thats a pretty awesome straightforward tutorial so that should be a good easy one to follow.

you can also you dremels to create deep gouges in the armor as well as actually burning armor slightly to give warped, blast mark effects.

(Save Stripes XI)
M5 #19
Beards #07
mvs #06
KOMS # 22

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2015, 04:10 PM »
I'd take the extra from the centre of the collar and pull the tabs a little closer in to your neck.
As for trimming the breast plates down to match that - I've gotten into the habit of leaving a bit extra while shaping and then doing the final trim once the plates sit right as shaping can distort angles.

Your design looks quite like how I modded my plates to make them more comfortable for my figure. Dunno if this will help you, but I thought I'd leave you a picture. Made the collar first, then shaped the chest plates so I knew where they had to sit, then trimmed them to match the collar.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Catika

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2015, 09:09 AM »
yea i would say you need to trim plates a little bit. there is a spacing guideline under the armor requirements area. as long as you have those spacing limits your generally ok. females get a little room in the chest plate spacing department lol.

your collar and chest plates may be to wide in general and you may want to take about a half inch of both of the outter sides of the chest plates.

Sounds good--I will get working on the trimming today and have updates later. Thanks for the input!!

I'd take the extra from the centre of the collar and pull the tabs a little closer in to your neck.
As for trimming the breast plates down to match that - I've gotten into the habit of leaving a bit extra while shaping and then doing the final trim once the plates sit right as shaping can distort angles.

Your design looks quite like how I modded my plates to make them more comfortable for my figure. Dunno if this will help you, but I thought I'd leave you a picture. Made the collar first, then shaped the chest plates so I knew where they had to sit, then trimmed them to match the collar.

Kris! I love. YOUR KIT. I envisioned the curvature of my plates to be similar so this is really helpful!! I was playing with the chest plate shapes since the lower part of the basic template doesn't seem to work great for females (at least that I've tried). So I love how yours look! I looked at pictures of Vhonte Tervho for ideas. Thanks for sharing your kit!!

Okay. The flak vest. I worked all evening making this pattern and I could not get it to turn out right. I also didn't make tea so that's probably problem #1.
- First, I measured only cutting my circumference measurement in half. That made a poncho.
- Realizing it should have been cut by a 1/4th, I did that and completely lost the recognizable shape of a vest. Because I didn't add the 2''-3'' after. When I wrote out the numbers doing the 1/4th + 2-3'', the sizes came back almost the same as my poncho-attempt. I guess I wasn't accounting for adding darts. But AHHH

So now I'm out of tissue paper and any tips (with that pattern or other methods to make the vest) would be most helpful. :) I got my duck cloth way cheap at Joann's yesterday. Woo!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!