Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Very basic armor planning

• 64 Replies

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Very basic armor planning
« on: May 20, 2015, 04:21 PM »
Hey folks.  So I've been playing around with Mando Maker and photoshop to get some concept ideas.  Please keep in mind that the following images are very rough, very basic.  The main color looks orange, but it's the closest I could come at the moment to the bronze I'm intending.  The whitish area is actually supposed to be a very light silver-grey

I'm still trying to decide if I'm going with a legacy style torso or not, but whether I go legacy or modern, I'm definitely shooting for Heavy Armor, with an eventual goal of meeting the Brigade requirements for a Force Hunter.

Constructive criticism is very welcome and appreciated, along with any tips or suggestions.  I promise to take any comments into account.  Thanks, everybody.

Oya

Basic bucket idea so far:

Full suit rough:

Torso closeup rough:

And finally the Mando Maker view:

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Very basic armor planning
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 07:48 PM »
Looks like you've got a solid plan there. Don't forget, Legacy is a subset of Modern Era armor so you can mix and match if you want from the other Modern Era styles.

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 08:58 PM »
Thank you.  And I guess I should have said classic or canon, instead of modern, but the correction is appreciated.

I'm having trouble finding a helmet, though.  Most of the ones I'm finding online that don't have a several-week waiting list aren't quite big enough.  Most of the buckets I'm seeing have a bottom diameter of 9 inches, and my shoulders are 23 inches.  I'm having difficulty finding an 11" bucket.  Any recommendations?

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 09:38 PM »
Thank you.  And I guess I should have said classic or canon, instead of modern, but the correction is appreciated.

I'm having trouble finding a helmet, though.  Most of the ones I'm finding online that don't have a several-week waiting list aren't quite big enough.  Most of the buckets I'm seeing have a bottom diameter of 9 inches, and my shoulders are 23 inches.  I'm having difficulty finding an 11" bucket.  Any recommendations?
your time frame may be a bit unrealistic vod. TomVader's helmets are quite large (about the size you're looking for) but you won't get one particularly fast. Otherwise, NME makes most of their helmets in a Large.

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.

Havelock

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 10:55 PM »
I wasn't aware of TomVader.  I'll check him out.  Thank you.

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 06:03 AM »
Ooooh, copper, I love metallic kits :)
And several weeks is a pretty good time frame for a helmet, I know some vendors waiting lists are marked in months. Afraid I can't point you at anybody, as my helmet knowledge is geared towards the smaller sized ones.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Havelock

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 08:47 PM »
So I've been doing a lot of research here on the forum and other sites on the internet and run into a few questions that I haven't seen the answers for.  I've also hit some frustrations, especially when going window shopping for various things.  Paint is primarily my source of frustration. 

I really love the look of bronze, but nobody except Krylon does a bronze, and the one bronze they have is "hammered bronze," and looks silver.  Grrrr.  So, it looks like I'll have to go with copper, instead.  Not exactly what I wanted, but close enough, I guess.

The first question I have at the moment is about E6000.  It seems to be the glue to use in your armor build.  So I did some looking online, and now I'm wondering, what type of E6000 glue I should be looking to get.  Craft?  Industrial?  Is there a difference?

The other question I have right now is about duck cloth, which seems to be a popular material from which to make your flak vest.  How hard is it to sew by hand?  Because my wife's sewing machine is an antique singer, and we don't have the money to get it fixed right now.

And one final question.  I'm wondering what a good accent color would be for my kit?  I'm not so sure about the grey accents I have planned for the armor itself.  Any suggestions for other colors?

Havelock

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 01:52 AM »
*Bouncing off the walls with glee*

Just got back from Walmart where I picked up  Dremel 7300 and an attachment kit with a little bit of everything.  I picked up a really nice Xacto Knife, and some E6000 Industrial Strength ('cause why not?)  Sadly, they had no Duck Cloth, but it's all good.

I have no flight suit, because my crappy wally world doesn't carry coveralls, just farmer style overalls.  I have no flak vest, no sintra, no bucket, no weapon, no appropriate belts or pouches - 'cause all my pouches are for medieval/fantasy LARPs and totally won't work for a Mando kit - and no paint, because, again, my osikla Walmart has the worst selection ever!  So basically, I still can't do any work whatsoever toward building my armor.

And at the moment, I just don't care.  Because I have officially, as far as I'm concerned, taken my first steps toward building my kit.

As the legendary Solo once said, "Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw!"

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 02:17 AM »
I have no experience on sewing so I don't know the toughness, but my seamstress (mother) was able to sew it easily on her new machine.

Try Home Depot or Lowes for a larger spray paint selection and remember to stick to a single brand. An accent for copper or bronze that I would suggest would be blue, a complimentary opposite of the copper/bronze orange-y color. If you run with 3 colors then purple and green as the accents, those would also work as a single accent.

Flightsuits are easy to come by at your local Army/Navy surplus if you want a true flightsuit, Walmart might carry Dickies work pants and long sleeve shirts for a 2 piece.

Post pictures of your pouches because they might be viable as Mando.

Finally I think you meant the 'criminal Solo'.

Havelock

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 02:22 AM »
Sadly, my Army Surplus store only has one flight suit which won't work.  The Dickies two piece is an idea I hadn't considered, but I definitely will.  And I'm definitely planning on sticking to one brand of paint.  I'll definitely play around with the blue, although my wife will certainly vote for purple.

Finally I think you meant the 'criminal Solo'.
  Doesn't mean he isn't legendary, too.  heh

Thanks, Natan

Natan Vizsla

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 02:25 AM »
Scrubs also work as a two piece. True enough 'the legendary criminal Solo'

Havelock

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 02:47 PM »
Natan, I took your advice about blue as an accent color and played around with it.  I've also been thinking about using a grey flight-suit instead of black.  I'm a huge fan of black clothes, but the more I looked at it and thought about my kit, and then actually used Mandomaker to check the colors, I think I'm happier with grey.  I think a grey flight suit gives it a more balanced and less monotonous look.

As always, comments and suggestions are always welcomed and appreciated.

Natan Vizsla

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 02:55 PM »
Blue is the opposite of orange and bronze/copper are close to orange so it should work well, just don't go obnoxious like the UF Gators (gotta stay true to my Noles). I have all black soft parts and it gets lost all together. I will probably switch over to a grey flightsuit sooner or later.

Havelock

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 03:11 PM »
I see what you mean about the coloration of the gators.  I'll try to avoid that.  heh

Natan Vizsla

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 03:59 PM »
That's why I added the purple and green compliments to bronze/copper.

Havelock

« Reply #15 on: Jun 02, 2015, 02:27 AM »
So I saw someone ask about steel-toed boots and was told they aren't allowed.  I'm wondering why they aren't allowed.  Not a complaint, just curious.

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #16 on: Jun 02, 2015, 05:48 AM »
Where was that? As far as I was aware they are allowed - and are judged the same way any other footware is. leather, canvas (a la Boba) - generally yes, rubber, hiking type, giant high heels etc - generally no.

It is what is on the outside that matters, not the inside.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Havelock

« Reply #17 on: Jun 02, 2015, 11:38 AM »
I have read so many armor planning threads and so many armor WIPs that I don't recall where I saw that.  I'll see if I can dig it up.

Found it.  Here's the thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=88311.msg1303425#msg1303425

No steel-toed boots are acceptable. - Ulrik Kanteer

« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2015, 12:16 PM by Havelock » Logged

Natan Vizsla

« Reply #18 on: Jun 02, 2015, 12:20 PM »
I think Ulrik meant "no, steel toed boots are acceptable."

Havelock

« Reply #19 on: Jun 02, 2015, 12:23 PM »
Ah.  Ok. Cool.

"Let's eat grandpa!
Let's eat, grandpa!"

Punctuation.  It saves lives.   :D

Natan Vizsla

Havelock

« Reply #21 on: Jun 02, 2015, 04:34 PM »
List of things needed for building my kit.

• Soft parts:
       Flight Suit - Grey for preference, black if no other option
       Investigate work shirt/work pants combo
       Flak Vest - Get duck cloth to have wife make vest, or order one online
       Neck gaiter - if I get wife or Nanna to make vest - padded neck might be too much for wife to mess with at first
       Boots
       Girth belt or sash?
       Pouches
       Belts
       Gloves
       Kama
  • Homemade Me Mannequin:
       A one size too small t-shirt.  Turtleneck might be a better way to go.
       Duct tape - crap ton
       Spray foam for stuffing the mannequin?
  • Tools:
       Dremel
       Xacto Knife
       Jig saw
       Clamps
       Heat gun
       Hand sander
          different grades of sand paper
  • Various Items:
       Face mask
       E6000
       Industrial strength velcro
       Utility knife
       Plastic Welding Kit
       Painter's tape/Masking tape
       Spray paint (Don't forget the primer)
       Acrylic or hobby paint for black washing
       Squirt bottle? for above
       Sharpies
       Card stock or construction paper for templates
       Rub 'n Buff for experimentation
       Latex gloves
       Gloves for working with heated sintra
       Sintra
  • Weathering:
       Liquid latex
       Masking fluid
       Toothpaste
       Vaseline

Can anyone think of any basic items I've missed for making my first kit?

« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2015, 12:00 PM by Havelock » Logged

Kris Jasra

« Reply #22 on: Jun 02, 2015, 06:00 PM »
Chocolate and caffeine.  8)

Havelock

« Reply #23 on: Jun 02, 2015, 06:21 PM »
12 pack of Dr. Pepper in the mini-fridge?  Check
Stockpile of Reese's various products?  Working on it. 

;D

Kris Jasra

« Reply #24 on: Jun 02, 2015, 07:12 PM »
I'd say you're about all set then.

The chocolate and caffeine can also be used to bribe friends round to help shape plates (especially backplates...)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!