Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First helmet

• 29 Replies

Peg

First helmet
« on: May 31, 2015, 12:33 PM »
I received my helmet last weekend. After adding the ear bobbles, filling and sanding and prepping it, I started painting it this weekend. I had to share before I got finished because I'm just so excited. I have to finish taking off the weathering but this is it so far. I'm pretty happy with the paint job.   

Color slightly off in the picture but you still get a good idea of it.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: First helmet
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 12:43 PM »
Nice.  I'm curious as to what the raised areas are, though.  I'm completely new at all this and have none of my materials for building a kit.  All I have to go off is what I see here on the forum and I haven't seen any buckets with that effect and was just curious.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Peg

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 12:53 PM »
The raised areas you're looking at a probably the rocksalt weathering. It's an old miniatures modeling trick for creating natural looking chips.

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 02:17 PM »
Ooooooo.  Very cool.  I'm always noting new tips and tricks for weathering to try when I eventually start building my kit.  Thanks!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

Bare Col'Mera

• "BAH-reh"
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 03:30 PM »
The raised areas you're looking at a probably the rocksalt weathering. It's an old miniatures modeling trick for creating natural looking chips.

Can you elaborate on this method?  I'm not familiar with it.

Peg

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 06:53 PM »
Absolutely. It's actually really simple technique.

After your first layer of paint (in my case, the white paint over top of my silver base) is dry, mix a very small amount of water with rocksalt. You need just enough water to make the salt damp. You want to be sure to not mix enough to dissolve the salt just enough to make it damp. You then lightly apply it over the locations where you would like chips of paint to have come off. The salt will go on in tiny clumps as well as single grains. Both are good and you want to Make it even. Don't be too for particular about what goes where.

The damp salt will stick to your piece. Once it's dry, then carefully spray on your next layer of color (for me, this was the blue). Once you've got your paint finished (two or three layers) and it's dried, carefully brush off the salts. It will fall off easily and leave little chips in your top coat of paint.   If you have a salty film on your piece at this point, simply wash it off with a damp cloth.

If that explanation doesn't make sense or someone wants more clarification on something, let me know. I can try and take pictures of the process if that helps

« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2015, 12:06 AM by Peg » Logged

Havelock

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 07:20 PM »
That's awesome, and I'm sure folks would love to see some more step-by-step photos if you've got some handy.

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 09:59 PM »
That's the first I've heard of this weathering method as well, I would have to agree that other people would love to see more photos (myself included).

QMU Supporter #026
Majic #142

Bare Col'Mera

• "BAH-reh"
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 10:45 PM »
Wow, what a cool technique.  I'm going to have to try that next time I paint a piece.  Thanks for the explanation.

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Jun 01, 2015, 02:20 AM »
Wow, that's a new  technique to me, and I've been painting miniatures since the early 90's. I can't wait to see how this comes out, I can see it working quite well.

Peg

« Reply #10 on: Jun 01, 2015, 11:25 AM »
Wow, that's a new  technique to me, and I've been painting miniatures since the early 90's. I can't wait to see how this comes out, I can see it working quite well.

It's specifically used by miniature model painters (trains, planes, etc), rather than gaming miniatures.

I will work on a step by step guide after work tonight, and I should be able to get pictures of my finished bucket up, too.

Peg

« Reply #11 on: Jun 02, 2015, 11:59 AM »
So, my helmet is finished (I think), other than needing to install the padding and visor.  What do you think?

Havelock

« Reply #12 on: Jun 02, 2015, 12:09 PM »
Looks like you took a shotgun to the face.  It's awesome!

Drako Katora

• It's fun to shoot from bell towers, very dramatic.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #13 on: Jun 02, 2015, 12:21 PM »
Nice job on the weathering. Are you planning on doing a blackwash? Also who is the helmet maker?

Peg

« Reply #14 on: Jun 02, 2015, 12:41 PM »
Nice job on the weathering. Are you planning on doing a blackwash? Also who is the helmet maker?

Yeah, I'll probably do a black wash tonight.  And I'm not sure who the maker is - I bought the helmet blank from a friend who never had the time to make their mando.

crutchthecrusher

• Enjoy today there is no promise of tomorrow
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #15 on: Jun 02, 2015, 09:21 PM »
I really like that weathering cant wait to see more

Ericr Huric
MMCC: 1193 
Starviper Clan.                                                            wip armor http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=90153.0
Wip weapons http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=93781.msg1369941#msg1369941
Wip Helmet http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=96098.0

Peg

« Reply #16 on: Jun 02, 2015, 11:44 PM »
I did the first layer of blackwash tonight.  I think I need to do at least one more, but I like the effect so far.  I also touched up a little of the chipping effect I'd done so I didn't look quite so much like I'd been shot in the face with a shotgun (as someone so accurately put it!).

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #17 on: Jun 03, 2015, 12:04 AM »
Did you know your left earcap is tilted more forward than the right one? Looking good so far vod.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Peg

« Reply #18 on: Jun 03, 2015, 12:29 AM »
Did you know your left earcap is tilted more forward than the right one? Looking good so far vod.

I believe that it's probably just the picture making it look more forward. Both of them are lined up with the edge of the jaw indention.

Drako Katora

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #19 on: Jun 03, 2015, 04:15 PM »
Looking good, my only recommendation would be hitting it with a couple varying grits of sand paper and another black/brown wash to your liking.

Peg

« Reply #20 on: Jun 03, 2015, 04:31 PM »
Looking good, my only recommendation would be hitting it with a couple varying grits of sand paper and another black/brown wash to your liking.

Thanks for the tip, but my newbie is showing again.  I have seen the advice to use sand paper but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with it - just a general rub down all over, or in spots, or...?

Drako Katora

« Reply #21 on: Jun 03, 2015, 04:44 PM »
It really depends on how much you want it weathered. Generally hitting it with a few very low grits (40-60) up to low grits (120) with differing force and distribution will give a nice variety of different scratches. The smaller scratches really balance out the larger damage rather than having just a bunch of weapons damage it gives a lived in appearance.

« Reply #22 on: Jun 03, 2015, 08:55 PM »
That bucket is really coming along nicely VOD! I also had not heard of that method of weathering. It looks great. Be sure to hit the bucket with a brown wash as well and let it work into the corners more heavily, where dirt would build up.

Peg

« Reply #23 on: Jun 03, 2015, 11:13 PM »
Some sanding, a sharp blade to cause larger scratches, and another layer of blackwash.

Havelock

« Reply #24 on: Jun 04, 2015, 07:47 AM »
This is looking really, really nice!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!