Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Havelock's upgrades

• 891 Replies

Mercy

Re: Havelock's first kit WIP (and 3rd ad'ika WIP)
« Reply #275 on: Aug 27, 2015, 02:10 PM »
I get you Vod, my family "was" the same way... now my 5 siblings all have kids that are Star wars introduction age. I'm like Threepio among the Ewok! A God I tell you!

LOL!

You know who I am. Even a monster such as you has nightmares.
Before you die...say my name...

Master Build Thread
« Reply #276 on: Aug 27, 2015, 04:11 PM »
Sometimes I feel like there should be a family of the mercs support group lol. My girlfriend is totally into the fact that I have a constructive hobby but when she asks any questions I have to take an hour explaining because she has only seen one of the movies (A New Hope) and that's because I forced her to watch it with me lol.

"Only known inhabitant of the Lando System."
« Reply #277 on: Aug 27, 2015, 04:15 PM »
Who cares if they don't understand the details vode! Infect them with your excitement!! :D :D That's what I do. People have no frickin idea what a Mandalorian is. But they get excited cuz I'm excited. :o :o

"It makes me happy that I make you nervous...that tells me you aren't stupid."

Armor:

Helmet:

Techblade a.k.a Dral Tracinya : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=111300.0

Kyri

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #278 on: Aug 27, 2015, 04:33 PM »
Agreed, why not be passionate about it. I hear the grow up thing so ofter. Usually respond that they're jealous they can't enjoy things as much as I do ;)

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #279 on: Aug 27, 2015, 05:17 PM »
Good advice, vode.  Fortunately, my parents live about 900 miles away, so their disapproval only affects me very slightly.  heh

Spent about half an hour today working on Westar number 2. Yay.

Got the final detail pieces trimmed and ready to go:

Then got them cemented on:

Next step, pick up some Apoxie Sculpt and give it a whirl. Then on to (finally) painting! 

« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2017, 08:10 PM by Havelock » Logged
"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #280 on: Aug 27, 2015, 05:30 PM »
Nice job as usual vod! ;D

"Only known inhabitant of the Lando System."

crutchthecrusher

• Enjoy today there is no promise of tomorrow
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #281 on: Aug 27, 2015, 06:42 PM »
Vod you make it look easy good job

Ericr Huric
MMCC: 1193 
Starviper Clan.                                                            wip armor http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=90153.0
Wip weapons http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=93781.msg1369941#msg1369941
Wip Helmet http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=96098.0

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #282 on: Aug 27, 2015, 10:52 PM »
Thanks, vode.  I'm seeing imperfections here and there which are driving me slightly batty, but overall, I'm pretty proud of myself.  Considering that these pistols and my beskad sum up my total experience with doing this kind of thing.   :D

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #283 on: Aug 28, 2015, 08:41 AM »
Thanks, vode.  I'm seeing imperfections here and there which are driving me slightly batty, but overall, I'm pretty proud of myself.  Considering that these pistols and my beskad sum up my total experience with doing this kind of thing.   :D

Weathering is your friend, it hides many sins.  Also, remember the 5 foot rule.  In all likely hood anyone looking a this is going to see it from about 5 feet away, or more (except for you, and your clan mates) so it doesn't have to look good in a 1080p close up, it has to look good from 5 feet

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #284 on: Aug 28, 2015, 09:09 AM »
I have the same problem when I'm doing kit work. Everything has to be perfect (working for 6 years for a man that started out as a finish carpenter and never lost the mind-set didn't help matters any). As Jorad Werde said however, a lot of imperfections won't even be noticeable. Many of the rest will just look like battle damage or normal wear-and-tear after weathering

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.

Syko Voss

• 'Simon'/'Simes' OM#1469
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #285 on: Aug 28, 2015, 09:16 AM »
And the fact that Bondo is your friend.  Smear just a little bit on, quick sand down with some very rough paper, then go over with some smooth, you'll be surprised how many sins you can correct.
The good thing is, with filler it's not an all-or-nothing thing like a cut with a knife or saw - you can build up past where you need to go, then sand back, multiple times if necessary.
If Bondo's too hit-and-miss with its fast drying time - get something like Apoxy sculpt which gives you a couple of hours before it sets - the UK equivalent brand, Milliput is very good for that allowing you to smooth it out with a wet finger if necessary.
Good to see that you're getting a little more time to get onto things - keep going!

Vailin Flynn

• Urge to kill...rising
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #286 on: Aug 28, 2015, 11:37 AM »
^this^

I've spent a good chunk of the last week getting to know bondo. With a little practice, you can do impressive things.

Used it to blend the panels on my cod and it looks great.

WiP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=88828.0

OM #1476
Cabur Akaata #16
M.A. #153 (24er)
House Buurenaar Verda -  Batuu Clan
OM Troops: 7

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #287 on: Aug 28, 2015, 01:50 PM »
Moving right along, great work!

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51

Havelock

« Reply #288 on: Aug 28, 2015, 02:31 PM »
Thanks, vode.  My (very) latent OCD and perfectionism comes out when I'm creating something, so if it's not my idea of perfect I get a little irritated at myself. heh  But yeah, planning to pick up some Apoxie Sculpt in the near future to finish off the build portion of these bad boys.  I'm sure I'll eventually move on to bondo, but with my complete and utter lack of experience working with any material remotely like Bondo or Apoxie, I'm more comfortable with the idea of a longer set-time.  I won't feel rushed.  Of course, I'll probably then turn around and get impatient when I'm still waiting half an hour for the stuff to finish the drying.   :laugh:  I'm an absolute mess, sometimes.  But having soooooo much fun....in 2-3 hour bursts a few days a week.   :laugh:

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #289 on: Aug 28, 2015, 02:35 PM »
don't fear the bondo  it's just filler... easy to sand quick to dry ideal if you want to get something finished in a short time. :P

Havelock

« Reply #290 on: Aug 28, 2015, 02:38 PM »
don't fear the bondo  it's just filler... easy to sand quick to dry ideal if you want to get something finished in a short time. :P

Less fear and more not wanting to waste money.  When learning a new skill I like to have time to, I guess fiddle would be the best word.  Once I'm more comfortable and skilled with the process, I'll definitely move on to bondo.  Just don't want to go wasting the stuff.   ;D

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #291 on: Aug 28, 2015, 02:48 PM »
it's pretty forgiving stuff my biggest worry would be the dust created when you sand it... you definately need a space away from everything to work, take my word for it. it took me longer to clean up my kitchen after making my gaunts than it did to actually make them lol.

Havelock

« Reply #292 on: Aug 28, 2015, 03:29 PM »
it's pretty forgiving stuff my biggest worry would be the dust created when you sand it... you definately need a space away from everything to work, take my word for it. it took me longer to clean up my kitchen after making my gaunts than it did to actually make them lol.

:laugh:

That's what my driveway is for.   ;D

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #293 on: Aug 28, 2015, 03:38 PM »
I highly recommend investing in ZipWalls if you have to work inside much. I had to build my entire kit in a 1 bedroom apartment. They saved me days of cleaning.

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.

Havelock

« Reply #294 on: Aug 29, 2015, 02:45 PM »
I've completed the construction phase of my Westars.  Yay!

Now, on to the apoxie/bondo phase.  Only, not a single freaking store in Savannah, Ga sells Apoxie Sculpt.   :o  What the heck?

I'll have to order it from Amazon, so it'll be a bit before I can move on to the next phase.

« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2017, 08:23 PM by Havelock » Logged

Mercy

« Reply #295 on: Aug 29, 2015, 02:52 PM »
Amazon...takes about 4 days.
One pound is $19, four pounds about $32, so buying more is cheaper, but you may never use all four unless you get into some sculpting.

You know who I am. Even a monster such as you has nightmares.
Before you die...say my name...

Master Build Thread

Ja'car La'mik

• Adapt and Overcome
« Reply #296 on: Aug 29, 2015, 03:58 PM »
Sign up for the Amazon Prime free trial. Free two day shipping. Just make sure you cancel it before the $99 yearly fee kicks in. Learn from others (my) mistakes.

"Fear not the darkness, for we own the night"

V.O.T.S. #42

Havelock

« Reply #297 on: Aug 29, 2015, 04:30 PM »
Sign up for the Amazon Prime free trial. Free two day shipping. Just make sure you cancel it before the $99 yearly fee kicks in. Learn from others (my) mistakes.

Forgot about Amazon Prime.  My mother-in-law has one of those....*picks up phone*   :laugh:

Amazon...takes about 4 days.
One pound is $19, four pounds about $32, so buying more is cheaper, but you may never use all four unless you get into some sculpting.

Yeah, I'll probably just get the pound to start with, but I have all sorts of crazy ideas in my head that I can see a future need for multiple pounds of this stuff.   ;D

« Reply #298 on: Aug 29, 2015, 08:48 PM »
I actually feel like Amazon prime has been totally worth the $99. I order a lot of my costuming stuff from there and always get free shipping. In that alone I've saved over $99. Just a thought. I know things are tight with the new baby and stuff.

"It makes me happy that I make you nervous...that tells me you aren't stupid."

Armor:

Helmet:

Techblade a.k.a Dral Tracinya : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=111300.0

Havelock

« Reply #299 on: Aug 30, 2015, 04:06 AM »
I actually feel like Amazon prime has been totally worth the $99. I order a lot of my costuming stuff from there and always get free shipping. In that alone I've saved over $99. Just a thought. I know things are tight with the new baby and stuff.

Definitely on the wish list.   ;D

In the meantime, I have another actual kit update. 

I was a little bummed that now that my Westars are all cemented up and I'm waiting to be able to order some Apoxie Sculpt - plus shipping time - that my forward progress on my kit was at a pause.  Because I'd decided after my first attempt at sizing my plates that I really needed to wait until I have some appropriate soft parts.  So bummed.  Really wanted to be doing something Mando related and productive that wasn't just posting on the boards.  Then I got to thinking about the parts of the armor that I'm kind of dreading.  Back plate in particular.  Ick.  Then gauntlets. 

Hmmm.  Gauntlets.  I could start work on those.  Don't need soft parts for those.  I can just take some measurements and get cutting.  Mind you, I don't know what exactly I'm going to put on my gaunts just yet.  I have a couple of very specific ideas, but the possibilities for Mandalorian Gauntlets are practically endless.  So after spinning my mental wheels for a bit, I finally decided I could at least get the shells cut out.  Can't shape 'em yet, but I can get started.

So my first step was some construction paper, a pink marker I borrowed from my daughter and my wife's sewing tape measure.  Various marks on my skin (which my crappy phone isn't showing very well) to denote where on my forearm I want the gaunts to cover:

Then some construction paper.  Wrap around forearm.  Makes some marks with a sharpie.  Cut.  Wrap.  Mark.  Cut. Wrap.

Grab a piece of sintra.  Cut it out.  Forget to wear gloves and cut myself with the sintra.

But hey, I'd already put sweat into this kit.  Now blood.  Cool.  Just need tears to complete it and ensure this kit is awesome!

Construction paper on sintra and trace the outline.  Sort of.

Figure out that my construction paper mock-up was nowhere near precise enough.  Have wife remind me that her dad bought me some leather vambraces a couple of years ago.  Grab one, use it to get better measurements and shape.  Realize it didn't have quite shape I was wanting, but roll with it and adjust on the fly.

And there's one cut out.

About twenty minutes later, number two cut out.

So now I have two just-begun gauntlets to work on.  Yay.  Finished that up by about 10 pm.  Then had to wait until four in the morning to post my update because my cable internet really, really sucks.  *sigh*  Oh, and insomnia sucks, too.   :laugh:

More later.  Not sure when, exactly, but more later.

« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2017, 08:36 PM by Havelock » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!