Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Natan Vizsla's Mk 2 (upgrading to Mk 2.5)

• 78 Replies

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Natan Vizsla's 1st build's upgrades.
« Reply #25 on: Jul 29, 2015, 08:20 PM »
Painting for the bucket, datapad, and mythosaur invasion tracker is complete save blackwash. I am not working on the beskad or the grenades yet and will wait for later to do those when I'm not rushed.

The datapad.

Mythosaur invasion tracker. Invasions are tallied on the rear side in red.

BUCKET!!!

RF detail.

Sneak peek for the beskad.

Disregard all the drawn on triangles. The two that are already rough drilled out will be the only ones done. It's still rough and will probably do a black coat on the blade sans the edge and inside the cutouts. I will also probably run a small groove across the width where the separation between blade and handle will be currently a black line.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #26 on: Jul 30, 2015, 12:10 AM »
Wow.  This is looking amazing!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #27 on: Jul 30, 2015, 09:12 AM »
Looking Good!

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51

Natan Vizsla

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #28 on: Jul 30, 2015, 12:57 PM »
Thanks guys, heading down to Tampa tonight for the con down there this weekend. Full body upgrade shots and hopefully some good photographer shots will be coming.

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #29 on: Jul 30, 2015, 01:50 PM »
Looking forward to it.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

Natan Vizsla

« Reply #30 on: Jul 31, 2015, 08:30 PM »
Some Tampa Bay Comic-Con photos. Working with some guardians. Gotta love when Elsa wants to build snowmen. Chopper, R2, and I are protecting the sandperson and her bantha from Jetti filth. Rocking with the Avatar. Lastly, taking a contract from the Empire.

I am aware of the plates bunching up in the selfie with Queen Elsa.

Havelock

« Reply #31 on: Jul 31, 2015, 09:46 PM »
Awesome, vod!

Natan Vizsla

« Reply #32 on: Aug 01, 2015, 12:48 AM »
I'm going to call this my Mk1.5 kit.

I didn't wear my girth belt since it isn't as girth belty as it should be and I've got the sash and pouch and kama belts all wrapped around my midsection.

I have a door chain with a chest diamond and the mythosaur invasion tracker that I forgot to slide into the door chain holdy widget on my belt.

I also need to put a tab of velcro on the scrub legs to keep the knees in place. One was having trouble since the velcro I use on an elastic band to secure the back wasn't wanting to stay on even though it's stapled on as well.

« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2015, 09:25 PM by Natan Vizsla » Logged

Natan Vizsla

« Reply #33 on: Dec 04, 2015, 10:10 PM »
I'm back from the dead (yelled as I fly into the celebrations on Endor blasting Ewoks [robot chicken reference]). So over the long fall semester here at FSU I got very little accomplished. I've lost my will to make the grenades, they look off to me now.

I do have some things I'd like to update you all on, firstly I will be revamping my entire kit to Mk2. I got some new gauntlets from Dha'senaar (aka Wolfpack) and I'm using reflective tape to make the lights show up. Weathered my kama with some discoloring, tears, and burns. Finally I will be going towards Recon for Spec Ops Brigade, comm suite on my left upper backplate (which will be a SWG style design). Adding trauma plates of 3mm and going from 3mm to 6mm main plates.

What Recon BRLs say that I need on top of the norm light to medium (I'm light so check):
         Primary blaster - modified EE3
         Holdout/backup - might see if I can use the Westar for that, or if both can work I will drop the EE3
         Knife/beskad/Etool - I have a knife, working on a beskad, and the retractable blade from my new gaunts is something I want to modify to a full knife
         Additional comm stuff - my shoulder suite fills that
         Binos, macro or electro - no plans yet, may go with the TK special
         Pouches, lots of spares - got 3 small Jango and a larger misc, getting 2 extra large misc
         Optional: grenades, flares, ghillie, jetpack - may go with some flares strapping around a leg like the rebel pilots

I also found some pics from TBCC with me and Wolfpack (Dha'senaar).

Natan Vizsla

« Reply #34 on: Dec 29, 2015, 11:52 PM »
Real progressuuuuuu. Senpais notice me!!!!!

Pouches fulfilling the Recon Brigade requirement. The two big pouches in the center (will be more over my butt) are filled with some foam to give them shape but not weigh much. The final large pouch next to the door chain will be for wallet, keys, phone, and whatever earthly items I'm carrying.

New boots in distressed black, I will change the pointed gaiter cuff to a flat short cuff, should be arriving by the weekend. I will have pics of my feetsies in them when they arrive.

I have the majority of the plates cut out in 6mm using the templates from my 3mm set so the sizing is correct. Just need knees cut out then shaping. The back plate as seen here will actually be flipped so the "Comm Side" as I have marked will be on my left shoulder blade. More DeathWatchy goodness with the emblem and the Mando'a for DW written underneath, I'm thinking of putting Vizsla above the emblem as well.

I have commissioned a vest from Sidi as well to replace my old one. It's gonna be a standard one of her black diamond fabric with buckles closing the sides.

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #35 on: Dec 30, 2015, 10:49 AM »
Man, I wish my pouches were big enough to hold my phone :( I tried slipping it under my vest so my girthbelt would hold it, but that did not work at all :laugh:

Can't go wrong with Sidi's vests, they're just awesome. I've got the buckles variety too, and I just slip it on over my head, with chestplates & backplate attached. Makes kitting up a breeze ;D

All in all it's looking good!

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Natan Vizsla

« Reply #36 on: Dec 30, 2015, 11:55 AM »
I've got the buckles variety too, and I just slip it on over my head, with chestplates & backplate attached. Makes kitting up a breeze ;D

My current Kraam vest zips up the back so I have to remove my backplate everytime. I want it to be easier which is why I figured the Sidi vest would be good.

Natan Vizsla

« Reply #37 on: Jan 04, 2016, 06:38 PM »
Fine trimmed plates, won't shape until my Sidi vest arrives sometime this month. Still need to cut out trauma plates as denoted by the sharpie. Left shoulder (lower of two shoulders) bell will have a mythosaur as well. DW emblem is off center and the boxed off section on the top left of the backplate will be a boxy comm pack, probably sloping edge at the bottom, will have a mock up of that soon.

Boots arrived today. The boot itself fits nice but the gaiter wasn't tight enough for my taste so I punched new holes for the straps. I'll have to trim the excess from the straps and I want less of a widow's peak Vegeta looking point at the front of the gaiter cuff.
Edit: I thought a Mando wouldn't go to get things cut and stitched super nicely so I just used some scissors and trimmed the excess of the straps, then used some feuer just to melt the ends some. I also rolled under the scalloped Vegeta hair cuff.

« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2016, 12:57 AM by Natan Vizsla » Logged

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #38 on: Jan 05, 2016, 09:27 AM »
Looks good, I like the mods you did to that boot :)

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Natan Vizsla

Re: Natan Vizsla's Mk 2 (15 Jan last update)
« Reply #39 on: Jan 15, 2016, 05:58 PM »
Got a vibroblade from helix. It's prepped and ready for paint. I'm gonna repaint my EE-3 so I'll do both at the same time.

I do have my trauma plates all cut out. Still need to glue them on and fine tune the edges. For the chest plate tabs coming up the will be slightly bent forward, I believe Kol Hokan was my inspiration for using the SWG look for trauma plates. It'll help tie in the SWG backplate with the standard Fett armor. The portion over the Fett main plate will be 3mm but I'm gonna make the upper tabs 6mm by adding an extra 3mm to the back.

Still need to cut out my knees and mock up the comm pack with some cardboard, then sintra.

Natan Vizsla

Re: Natan Vizsla's Mk 2 (25 Jan last update)
« Reply #40 on: Jan 25, 2016, 05:38 PM »
Vest came in from Sidi, great vest go buy one from her. I'm gonna keep one side clipped and the other side will be my slip on over head side, slip on side has the velcro neckseal closure as well.

Knees have been cut, rough shaped, and rough bondo'd. I will be sanding the bondo down more if the fuzzy velcro on the orbital sander pads actually wants to stay attached instead of flying off. Has anyone had this problem with orbital sanders? (sander and sandpaper that flew off in the background as I got fed up with reattaching it and just left it) Cod has also been shaped and is awaiting bondo.

Natan Vizsla

Re: Natan Vizsla's Mk 2 (17 Feb last update)
« Reply #41 on: Feb 18, 2016, 12:13 AM »
Picture of torso plates incoming

I shaped all my plates except for the backplate and trauma plates. The two chest pieces are gonna get a little bit more shaping on the sides, fangs are fine. I still need to adjust spacing before sewing on the velcro to the vest so don't worry about the current space it's only for proof of progress.

Updates without pictures because I'm lazy (will probably post the pictures over the weekend): Shoulders have been shaped and trauma plates added to them, just need to touch them up a bit sanding wise and some battle damage to the plates themselves before painting. Knees just need a tad bit of sanding and they'll be ready as well, already damaged. Cod is ready for paint entirely no sanding left.

My deadline for everything being done is the beginning of April when I'm going to CollectiveCon in Jacksonville, FL.

So anyone got any words of encouragement or critiques? I'll take either. I do know there is a lot of sharpie on all of the plates but it makes sense to me.

Dha'senaar

• Need 'em disintegrated? Get me integrated
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Natan Vizsla's Mk 2 (17 Feb last update)
« Reply #42 on: Feb 27, 2016, 10:55 AM »
Looking good man! Eventually I'll have to get you to join the 6mm sintra club  ;)

Natan Vizsla

Natan Vizsla

Re: Natan Vizsla's Mk 2 (3 March last update)
« Reply #44 on: Mar 03, 2016, 04:02 PM »
Photo update: I haven't worked on the plates for about a week, Student Veteran business takes priority. I have decided to no longer pursue Recon Brigade in favor of the proposed Privateer Brigade. Paint scheme is still gonna be Grey and Red with Black undercoat. Below is my armor upgrades as it stands right now though.

Helmet: Still the same old NME Mercenary bucket, no changes.
Diamond: Not pictured but a 6mm diamond from old kit (see avatar).
Collar, Chest, Ab: Shaped, no trauma plates adhered yet. You will see there are two little trapezoid shapes right above the chest plates, those are gonna be affixed to
             the back side of the trauma plate upper prongs to give more depth to it making it 6mm there while the main trauma on the chest plates is 3mm.
Shoulder Bells: Need a little trimming on the trauma plate of the right shoulder (bottom in picture). Trauma plates have been adhered.
Back: Needs shaping. No longer gonna have a comm unit, trauma plate along spine. The DW logo (taken straight for Wookieepedia to fill 8.5x11 paper) will line up
             with the bottom of the point on the trauma plate.
Cod: Ready for paint.
Knees: Minor sanding, then ready for paint.
Gauntlets: Gonna try to get rid of 3D printing lines with sanding (maybe bondo), then ready for paint.

Edit:
The trauma plates for the back and shoulders will be black. The DW logo on theBack and the Mythosaur skull on the Left Shoulder will be red. I'm not sure if I am putting the 13 numbering on the Right Shoulder or Right Chest, color of that will depend on placement (red if shoulder, black if chest). Not sure if I mentioned it or not somewhere else but I will be using the reflectors that are in the gauntlets as chest lights (layout for that still undecided).

Visual of backplate with DW logo.

« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2016, 04:30 PM by Natan Vizsla » Logged
« Reply #45 on: Mar 03, 2016, 10:29 PM »
Really digging your thread vod. I think each piece of your armor should have a death watch symbol on it  :laugh: :P Watching with interest!

Natan Vizsla

« Reply #46 on: Mar 03, 2016, 10:38 PM »
Thanks.

Wasn't planning on doing DW logo everywhere but maybe some other symbols from DW. Maybe the rank sigil from TCW on the right shoulder which would make 13 be on the chest. I can also take Pre's helmet crest and put that on the ab plate.

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
  • Awards Family events 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #47 on: Mar 04, 2016, 11:16 AM »
Really liking the build so far, always a fan of layered plated,  keep it up  :D

Natan Vizsla

« Reply #48 on: Mar 04, 2016, 01:58 PM »
Thanks Ashen, your custom kits are outstandingly gorgeous with how you did your layering.

Weapons I'm gonna use: EE-3, twin Westars, and a vibrodagger. All are gonna be painted anew. I have partially complete holsters for the Westars (look earlier in thread somewhere as I'm too lazy to pull the picture to here) and I'm gonna do a sheath for the dagger in a similar fashion. I'm thinking of a way to carry the EE-3 without hands.

« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2016, 11:49 AM by Natan Vizsla » Logged
« Reply #49 on: Mar 05, 2016, 01:52 AM »
Can I make my own knife based off of your design? It's amazing! :D

Zbrush | Rhino3D | Fusion360 | Pixal Designs

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!