Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Zasiya Adenn V2 - Metal Armor

• 17 Replies

corriban

• Mercs War Correspondent
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Zasiya Adenn V2 - Metal Armor
« on: Jun 15, 2015, 07:59 AM »
So the wonderful Vhe Oyre has built me custom metal plates for my overhaul of Zasiya and the other day I got the final picture of the plates. They are just beautiful.

All I'm doing is waiting for these beauties to arrive. What I've got planned is basically keeping the normally gray parts metal and just doing my blue accents. Something like this:

then of course black and brown wash on top.

Does anyone have the best attachment method for metal plates?

Zasiya Adenn V2 | Dee Ca'tra
MERC #1078 | KOVA #0011 | M5 #42 | QMU #019 | ALLUMINATI #027 | PMS #003

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: Zasiya Adenn V2 - Metal Armor
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15, 2015, 08:51 AM »
The space for the chest diamond seems a little small, but that might just be due to floor layout. The shaping is very smooth though, looking forward to seeing them all painted up.

I use rivets to attach mine. Not sure what metal that is, but my plates are too heavy for magnets and velcro. If they're aluminium though then velcro would still work well.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #2 on: Jun 15, 2015, 11:01 AM »
Corrie, I massively dislike the number and speed of your upgrades.  WHY CAN'T I AFFORD TO DO THE SAME!!!!.....ok so I'm just Jealous.  Rivets or Snaps for Metal attachment would be my suggestion

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

corriban

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Jun 15, 2015, 11:04 AM »
Corrie, I massively dislike the number and speed of your upgrades.  WHY CAN'T I AFFORD TO DO THE SAME!!!!.....ok so I'm just Jealous.  Rivets or Snaps for Metal attachment would be my suggestion

lol! This metal armor was commissioned back in February! I've been waiting FOREVER!

« Reply #4 on: Jun 26, 2015, 04:45 PM »
So question...as I am learning here....after I cut the templets for my armor what kind of materials should I use for the final pieces. I am thinking something lightweight and thin as I live in FL and anything more might be very uncomfortable.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #5 on: Jun 26, 2015, 04:53 PM »
6mm Sintra is probably a good choice for you.  I'm in Savannah, myself, so I totally understand the need for lightweight kit.   ;D  Sintra is expanded cell pvc foamboard.  It's pretty tough, but easy (enough) to cut with a utility knife and then you just heat it up and shape it.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

RoboEmma

• aka Roboemma
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: Jun 28, 2015, 02:04 PM »
I love the idea of leaving some of the metal bare to show through! I nearly did that on Ivven (forvever ago), but didn't want to diverge from the original concept.

The thought of permanently piercing rivets through aluminum makes me cringe; I would suggest snaps. That way you can glue them onto the back of the plates, then sew them to the vest so they go on the same way every time, but don't do any permanent damage to either the metal or the cloth. 18 gauge aluminum is super light. Snaps work perfectly. You've built a kit before, though, so you know what you're doing. :D

I'm super psyched to watch your progress!

~

corriban

« Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 2015, 01:04 PM »
So I've smoothed everything and was just about to start on the weathering when I had a thought...I was originally not going to bother with a black coat considering I've got metal plates now, but my main color is gray so it may not set itself apart enough from the metal to show dimension. My question is, should I still do the black layer then the gray?

EDIT:

Got some feedback from my husband and he brought up a good point. I ended up doing the black layer. It's drying now then I'll move on to the gray layer :)

« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2015, 02:56 PM by corriban » Logged

corriban

« Reply #8 on: Jun 30, 2015, 01:12 PM »
Got the black and gray weathering finished yesterday. Today/tomorrow will be doing the blue striping then the black/brown wash.

Pictures!!

So far I am absolutely in love with metal. I've peeled off the old plates on my vest and am currently debating on an attachment method. Aluminum is light enough that velcro will work, but I really like the durability I have on my second kit and I don't have to worry about plates shifting or coming off. Decisions decisions!

Feedback welcome as usual :)

corriban

« Reply #9 on: Jul 01, 2015, 10:06 PM »
Progress!!

I got the chest, ab, diamond, and collar plate completely weathered today. Also took the liberty of taping it on my vest to see how it all fits together and can I say-- amaaaaazing!!!

And here's a shot of everything laid out together. Still need to finish weathering the shoulders, cod, and knees.

This also gives me the opportunity to dirty up my vest a bit more while I ponder attaching these plates...the most daunting task of building a mando!!

« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2015, 10:11 PM by corriban » Logged

Tracyn Jasra

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #10 on: Jul 02, 2015, 04:07 PM »
I am using rivets on my metal kit (which is aluminium) they sit flush to the plates and make sure nothing shifts, which is a god send when trooping because I don't know how many time I have moved wrong in my old kit and heard the Velcro come off a bit and then gone " can you check if my plates have moved ? "

corriban

« Reply #11 on: Jul 13, 2015, 12:12 PM »
I got everything attached this weekend!

I'm eventually going to get a new vest. In the meantime, I'm thinking I may need to add another shoulder bell because it looks kinda...sparse. Thoughts?

« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2015, 07:56 AM by corriban » Logged

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #12 on: Jul 13, 2015, 01:19 PM »
Looking good. I think I might agree, it does look like a heavier shoulder might work well. Also got a bit of tidying/trimming to do with that spacing I think. But really liking how its all coming together now.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

corriban

« Reply #13 on: Jul 20, 2015, 02:37 PM »
Got to wear my new and improved kit this weekend for the Washington Nationals Star Wars Day! It was a lot of fun and I learned about a few tweaks that I need to make. But, other than that it held up super well and was awesome to wear it!

Couple of pictures with the hubs in his kit :)

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #14 on: Jul 20, 2015, 03:27 PM »
Brilliant kit, vod!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

corriban

« Reply #15 on: Sep 28, 2015, 08:48 AM »
So I've had 3 troops in my new metal armor and everything has held up well. Just a few things need to be tweaked here and there like reinforcing the snaps with JB Weld but other than that it's been a lot of fun to run around in! Here are a few pictures out and about:

« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2015, 10:28 AM by corriban » Logged

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #16 on: Sep 28, 2015, 01:56 PM »
sigh.....did Emily lick a cold rocket and get her tongue stuck.....again?

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

corriban

Re: Zasiya Adenn V2 - Upgrades!!
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2016, 09:35 AM »
I've got some upgrades in the works. Firstly, my husband made me a vibroblade a while back and I'm just now getting work done on it. I bondoed all the edges and sanded them smooth. Here's what it looked like after it was smooth and with a bit of paint application.

And after some paint:

The mando'a says "Survivor." I plan on attaching a magnet to it and sticking it to my chest armor for easy access. FTW metal plates!

I swear I was meant to live more in the 80s because I'm a huge fan of big shoulders, so I'm adding more shoulder bells to this build. I had planned on making a Wonder Woman costume and it never got off the ground save for a few pieces, so I decided to confiscate the shoulders I made for that and use them for some upgrades. Still undecided if these will replace my existing ones; I don't really want to do that because I love my metal shoulders, so I'm hoping I can just add these on top.

Comments and critiques are welcome!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!