Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Echo's first build WIP

• 11 Replies

Echo9

Echo's first build WIP
« on: Jun 16, 2015, 01:42 AM »
Hey! Ok so i'm super excited to build a mando!
here's the concept so far:

Not super convinced on the skull on my thigh but want to do some play on colours like that. Vest, cape, boots, and gloves are supposed to be more true black.
not 100% sold on the blue colour but had a hard time getting it 'just right'

I've got scrubs for the flight suit already though i bought small pants for the arms so need to figure that part out. do people just get a scrub top and sew the legs on for arms?
I've got a home depot bucket and templates cut out for the helmut. just looking for a (decently priced) hard hat.
weapons: would like a gun but that's kinda last priority right now.

also thinking chest pieces will be less 'booby' lol

thoughts?

« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2015, 03:09 PM by Echo9 » Logged

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Echo's first build planning
« Reply #1 on: Jun 16, 2015, 02:18 AM »

I used scrubs top and long sleeves underarmor shirt under it.  I believe others flip the -censored- inside out and sew the pant legs to where the original sleeves attach

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #2 on: Jun 16, 2015, 02:56 AM »
Gotta say, love your colour scheme! Blue and black FTW! ;)

As far as I've heard, people will take long sleeve scrubs (are those even a thing? I can't find them anywhere, so perhaps pant legs is what they actually used) and sew the long sleeves under the short sleeve for the classic Boba double-sleeve (sleeve, sleeve, sleeve... Does the word still have meaning? :P )

And, if I may, there are several templates you can use for a less... "female"... :-X ...chestplate. I personally recommend Verdaera's template (got to bottom of that page, and look for a post by "Kalaval Zil") because they look awesome and I can't think of anyone else who has them! 8)

Looking forward to updates! I'll be lurking...

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

GardenGeek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #3 on: Jun 16, 2015, 03:20 AM »
Looks great! Let me know if you need a hand sewing/tailoring your suit. I might have an extra hard hat laying around in the garage too-

Echo9

« Reply #4 on: Jun 17, 2015, 01:33 AM »
MOAR SLEEVES!
yah i think that's the way i'm gonna go. just gotta go back and get the scrub top :)

Thanks for the tips on the female armor, haven't quite settled on one yet.
I've got a sheet of sintra (3mm) so that's what i'll be using. it's a large enough sheet i can do some experiments with. but i guess next step is to create another thread and start taping templates to my body? lol. (or can i just keep using this thread?)

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #5 on: Jun 17, 2015, 02:00 AM »
May as well continue here, just change from "planning" to "WIP" [work in progress]

If the goal is to avoid overtly female chest plates, one trick that works well is to use the neocrusader chest as a start.  they are ... shelved, more than cupped.   That is what I used as a base for mine, then worked to make it not-neocrusader.   As a point of interest, I was heavily ridiculed initially for making a Mando lingerie  :P :laugh:

^^^^ one sexy Mando-beast  8)  But the intent was to use the texture and added height to help hide my gut.. and it kinda worked :-P

and the "end" product:

Late Crusader WIP

« Reply #6 on: Jun 17, 2015, 04:56 PM »
Hey! Ok so i'm super excited to build a mando!

I've got scrubs for the flight suit already though i bought small pants for the arms so need to figure that part out. do people just get a scrub top and sew the legs on for arms?
I've got a home depot bucket and templates cut out for the helmut. just looking for a (decently priced) hard hat.

thoughts?

Zophar has a great "not quite so booby" idea there for the chest piece.  : )   

I did a "how to" on what I did to put in extra sleeves for my flight suit..  For me, it was fairly easy, I did what I could to keep the sewing to pretty much "mostly straight lines."  It may help:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=89050.0

Good luck!  Lookin' forward to seeing the progress.
~Dol

Echo9

« Reply #7 on: Jul 29, 2015, 03:08 PM »
sorry haven't updated in a while, but i think it's best to keep using this thread??

Anyway thanks to some massive help from Gardengeek and Tylek Ren here's what i've got so far:

got the shin guards and shoulderbells shaped, waiting on getting my vest finished before shaping the other pieces.

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #8 on: Jul 29, 2015, 03:09 PM »
Nice progress!

Late Crusader WIP

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Echo's first build WIP
« Reply #9 on: Jul 29, 2015, 07:38 PM »
Glad you're making some progress on this.  And I love the color scheme.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

GardenGeek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #10 on: Jul 29, 2015, 11:48 PM »
It looks great :) Can't wait till the next armour party!

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #11 on: Jul 30, 2015, 11:03 AM »
Off to a great start!

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!