Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Completed Worklog w/ pics: Twin Scratchbuilt Westar 34s and Comlink Prop

• 36 Replies
Re: WIP Twin Scratchbuilt Westar 34s and Comlink Prop
« Reply #25 on: Jul 04, 2015, 01:30 PM »
comm link looks cool and nice job on the weathering ... cheers for the complement on my ee3 blaster was the first thing i did ...made loads of mistakes doing it but now I know what id do different  next time .....great job on your builds

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #26 on: Jul 04, 2015, 02:37 PM »
Looks amazing Vod!

I read the cinnamon and did think "I bet that smells amazing"

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides

Syko Voss

• 'Simon'/'Simes' OM#1469
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #27 on: Jul 04, 2015, 03:00 PM »
It does! The nice thing is that cinnamon is hydrophilic (it loves water - which is why those cinnamon challenge videos turn out as they do) - so with a bit of wet acrylic burnt sienna it just latches on and clumps nicely on the paint.
Also I figure if it brushes off anywhere it's not as offensive as sand, grit or real dirt!
Mmmm....Cinnamando!  :P

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #28 on: Jul 04, 2015, 03:14 PM »
I just watched the weathering video... he does not hold back with that bike chain

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides

Syko Voss

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #29 on: Jul 09, 2015, 04:49 PM »
Well, I'm pleased to say that the black spray paint finally turned up.  So here they are ready for their paint jobs, assembly and weathering.

Just need to get Jayne/Nikjay to work out what her colour scheme is so I can finish these guys off (this may prove to be the hardest part of this build since she's really busy at the moment...)

In the interim, I'm now going to make a start on my main weapon - a Scratchbuilt 1313 Inspired Carbine...

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #30 on: Jul 09, 2015, 05:13 PM »
These are looking phenomenal!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #31 on: Jul 10, 2015, 01:15 PM »
Those guys are turning out amazing!

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51

Syko Voss

« Reply #32 on: Sep 14, 2015, 01:02 PM »
So with the 1313-style Carbine done, I've updated "the twins" a little...

First up came Rub'n'Buff silver to the one in the top of the pic - the one that's intentionally beaten-up-looking...

And a blast of Valspar Chrome spray paint to the lower - one - this one's supposed to look much more well-kept, so I needed to use spray to get into all the creases and gaps...

A coating of clear acrylic lacquer...

And after that came painting - so, the same salt+hairspray and masking fluid techniques for the gunmetal that I used on the  1313 for the more beaten-up looking blaster (this time at the bottom of the image)...

...and a bit of masking fluid to reveal silver chipped paint below the purple on the 'smarter' looking one.

I have since applied a bit of Rub'n'Buff silver over the top of the purple-handled blaster's silver spray to add a bit more depth to the metallic effect (which helps to pull the chrome...which is good for a spray paint up a little to looking more like metal)

Looking for a spare afternoon in an upcoming weekend to add weathering, dirt and dust washes...

« Reply #33 on: Sep 14, 2015, 11:46 PM »
Amazing work! :)

Walk the desert long enough, and the desert never leaves you.

Simmy_82

• Vash Noth
« Reply #34 on: Sep 25, 2015, 09:42 AM »
Outstanding work'! :o

WIPs
Helmet - Complete
Armour - Complete
Soft Parts - Complete
Weapons - Complete
Gaunts - Complete

Syko Voss

So, with acrylic paint weathering (Payne's Grey, Burnt Umber, Burnt Sienna, Yellow Ochre), a shot of Espresso coffee, some Yellow Sand and Brown Dirt Humbrol Weathering Powders, highlights pulled out with Silver Rub 'n' Buff and a sealing coat of  semi-gloss lacquer this is how they finally turned out...

Quite pleased with the results considering it's just MDF, PVC pipe, Foamex, a nail, a bottle top, P38 filler and bits from soap dispensers.
Giving each a different look gives them a sense of history and have managed to weather down the purple handled 'cleaner' blaster to look like it's seen some action.

Now...onto Gauntlets!

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
Very Nice Work Ner'vod ....  ;)

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!