Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

slush-casting question.

• 4 Replies
slush-casting question.
« on: Jun 18, 2015, 11:02 AM »
So.. helmet casting folks, question.  How the heck do you control the thickness of your slushcasting?   I tried with Smoothon’s smoothcast 300, and I found that the time it takes to set up is VERY inconsistent.  I had one batch start to harden within 3 minutes (batch is about 9 oz total, 4.5 of A and B each).  And another batch didn’t seem to want to set up at all over the mandible cut-ins. 

That quick-setting one laid in on the back, but as I tried to slush it around, it pooled to one side and left a big wave of plastic.  It also didn’t lay in well to the back detail part.  I can pretty much work around that, and the only place I’m really worried about is the face, where I have to cut open the visor.   The depth of plastic in the other locations can be variable, but I’d rather not have this thin then thick then thin look to the mask in front of the visor.  .   My helm is a bit bigger than the Fett bobblehelms, and I found that the typical lay in of 6-7 oz was very small comparatively.   In my first attempt, I did 5 batches, because the face piece didn’t quite set well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks..
~Dol.

Xyyyr Black

• The REAL diamond collector
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: slush-casting question.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 18, 2015, 11:19 AM »
We cant control it to be fair.

But, do you keep on sludging it around for the full 3 minutes? If you do, it gets rid of alll the airbubles and stuff.. thin parts are very uncontrolable sadly, its hard to do. It just needs training and patience.

++The jawalorian++

"Who am I? Ha! I am no one, I am a dark memory, I am your worst fear... I am the dark destructor, the haunter.. the lost one" -Xyyyr
« Reply #2 on: Jun 18, 2015, 11:56 AM »
We cant control it to be fair.

But, do you keep on sludging it around for the full 3 minutes? If you do, it gets rid of alll the airbubles and stuff.. thin parts are very uncontrolable sadly, its hard to do. It just needs training and patience.

Thanks..  that makes me feel much better.   Yeah, I slashed it until it stopped slushing and then some.   The first application took 17 minutes,  not that I was looking at the clock or anything...   I've done casting before,  just never anything this big.  Mostly just hollow parts the size of a baseball.   

..heh..  all this for one helm.   

Thanks!!
~Dol. 

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: Jun 18, 2015, 08:40 PM »
Varyig curing time can be caued by tempreture. I've seen resin set in seconds because it was stored in a very hot room, it slowed a bit later.

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014
« Reply #4 on: Jun 18, 2015, 10:56 PM »
Thanks Kitala..

The only thing I could figure is the fast-setting one stayed in the mixing tub a bit longer, and I noticed it got much warmer than the first batch.  I'm guessing there's a sweet-spot to the timing on when to pour out of the tub into the mold.. to maximize flow but minimize the slush-action. 

Like yawl have said.. practice.  It's nice to know that it's not just me tho, and that it's a challenge for everyone.

Thanks!
~Dol.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!