Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Brand new to hobby-First Build WIP

• 33 Replies

Raum

Brand new to hobby-First Build WIP
« on: Jun 20, 2015, 06:45 PM »
Hello fellow Mando's! This is my first build and I though I would document my progress.
I wanted my first helmet to be cast based so I purchased one from Headshot Props. Great
product and received my helmet quickly. The cast is really well done and I am completely satisfied
with my purchase. I was a bit leery at first, being unfamiliar with prop makers, but I am glad I went
that direction.

Here's the lid straight out of the box. It was packaged nicely for the trip.

I spent the a few hours the other day to get it cut out and cleaned up. The resin used for the cast is very easy to work with.

Yesterday I epoxied on the ear caps, I plan on molding them in for a cleaner look. I plan on keeping the brace at the bottom of the visor opening if I can. I also went with the magnet method to attach the RF cap.

Hopefully I'll be able to start painting this week. Ill update my progress. Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

crutchthecrusher

• Enjoy today there is no promise of tomorrow
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Brand new to hobby-First Build WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jun 20, 2015, 06:59 PM »
Vod looks great to me

Ericr Huric
MMCC: 1193 
Starviper Clan.                                                            wip armor http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=90153.0
Wip weapons http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=93781.msg1369941#msg1369941
Wip Helmet http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=96098.0

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #2 on: Jun 20, 2015, 10:38 PM »
Looks like you're off to a great start

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Jun 21, 2015, 12:13 AM »
I concur it's a good step in the right direction. Welcome to the forums and I'll pop in a few times because I'm a helmet addict and I enjoy parting with knowledge gained from lots of sources!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Genessa Draltuur

• Mar'eyir shereshoy!
« Reply #4 on: Jun 21, 2015, 01:27 AM »
Scott, that looks so cool! Looks like you totally know what you're doing. I have absolutely no experience crafting yet but I am excited to work concurrently with you on our kits for Shonare Vhekadla :) way to go!

Check out and help with my WIP! I need you :)
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=94762

Raum

« Reply #5 on: Jun 25, 2015, 10:34 PM »
Got some updates to share. Thought I'd post them up!

Put down some primer and a silver base coat.

This will look neat detailed!

After a couple days to really cure I started to tape it off...
Hey look! It's Jango!

I used liquid mask and I'm glad I did! It works great!

These are not the actual final colors. I am doing a multi layer weathering so I used the "opposite" colors that I'll re-mask off the silver and add additional under colored layers.

I'll keep updating as I progress!

Naasad Tal

• "Aliit ori'shya tal'din"
  • Awards 150 troops 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #6 on: Jun 26, 2015, 01:17 AM »
MOAR DESERT MANDOS!!!! Looking good so far ner vod!

Chris S. OM# 454
Shonare Vhekadla Clan #33
Brigades: Desert Ops #2
Societies: VRCA #20, Elegant Mando #66, Cabur Akaata #72, Vode Be Vhekad #2

Myra Tiin

• Outer Space Vandal
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago
« Reply #7 on: Jun 26, 2015, 04:39 AM »
Oya for desert mandos :p

That color scheme looks really good, and your weathering is on a good start as well :)

Desert ops Brigades - WIP  - Pixel Mandos
 QMU #017 - KOVA #002 - EMTS #118

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Jun 26, 2015, 07:16 AM »
Looks slick, so far. And HSP does make a bad-shebs helmet.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Uneek Top'El

• I am back from the dead !!
« Reply #9 on: Jun 26, 2015, 01:45 PM »
Yep..lookin good ..nice start

MMCC OM # 625 M.A.J.I.C Member # 81 MA # 53 Taakure Clan !!

Raum

« Reply #10 on: Jun 26, 2015, 11:43 PM »
I was able to make a good amount of progress today!

Laying down the final colors.

Taping and masking fluid.

The "Basecoat" or layered effect I was going for.

Last color for the eyes!

Still much to do. The viewfinder, visor and plenty of weathering and detailing.
Let me know what you think!

Naasad Tal

• Awards 150 troops 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #11 on: Jun 27, 2015, 02:21 AM »
Stang...that looks awesome ner vod! Can't wait to see it finished

Chris S. OM# 454

Uneek Top'El

• I am back from the dead !!
« Reply #12 on: Jun 27, 2015, 08:52 AM »
Damn !! That orange made everything pop  :o !! Nice work !!  8)

MMCC OM # 625 M.A.J.I.C Member # 81 MA # 53 Taakure Clan !!

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #13 on: Jun 28, 2015, 11:36 AM »
That looks awesome! Great paint job on that Vod.

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51

Raum

« Reply #14 on: Jul 08, 2015, 09:38 PM »
Mini Update.
I hit the whole helmet with Testors Dull Coat to cut down the and gloss or sheen and to seal the paint. Stuff works great.
I also detailed the circuitry in the ear caps and painted the range finder cap.

I'll be adding charcoal and acrylic to make it weathered and dirty. After all it's a desert mando!

I'm also working on hacking in a micro LCD and camera for a range finder. The resin cast on the left was one included in the helmet kit and is actually a bit small scale wise to Fetts finder. The one I'm making is only about a half inch longer and will have a similar shape and design to Fetts rangefinder.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #15 on: Jul 09, 2015, 01:01 AM »
So, a "working" range finder... Cool  8)

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Naasad Tal

« Reply #16 on: Jul 09, 2015, 04:46 AM »
definitely interested in seeing how the rangefinder comes out

Chris S. OM# 454

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #17 on: Jul 09, 2015, 10:50 AM »
That's pretty cool, I had wanted to try to do a functional one back when I was still thinking of having a rangefinder, can't wait to see how it works out.

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51

Raum

« Reply #18 on: Jul 14, 2015, 03:45 PM »
Got some work done on the rangefinder. Just need to refine and paint.

When I soldered the brass housing together I created some "battle damage" on this corner. The damage hole is actually the port for the USB plug. I will also be molding that front cap in with some modeling putty. I also need to paint it. I plan on having some of the brass showing through. It's patina is really nice looking.

While not heavy by any means the resin stalk that came with the helmet is just too thin and flexible. I'll be going with an aluminum one if I can find one or maybe just reinforce this one with a metal rod.

I plan on black and brown washing today or tomorrow and I'll post up the results!

Russiya

• Live for today forget about tomarrow
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #19 on: Jul 14, 2015, 06:10 PM »
This turned out great ! I tried to do something similar but with my screen inside my bucket because I do not use a rf but it failed do to the fact that a screen right in front of your eye dose not have any clarity

Raum

« Reply #20 on: Jul 15, 2015, 01:39 AM »
Did a blackwash with acrylic...

Followed by some dry brushing with oil paint.

Think I'm pretty much done with paint, might spray a dullcoat layer on too seal it up.

Going to shoot for installing the visor and finishing and installing the rangefinder this week!
Been window shopping for materials to begin the soft parts.
Also any recommendations on precut Sintra armor? I'm planning on a light armor Fett style vest.

Naasad Tal

« Reply #21 on: Jul 15, 2015, 02:40 AM »
that RF looks pretty sick & that paint! Awesome work ner vod!

Chris S. OM# 454

Raum

« Reply #22 on: Jul 29, 2015, 07:22 PM »
Been busy but found some time to get some work done. Wow, I'm just about "finished", just plan on adding some fans and possibly electronics.

Finished up the paint and detailing of the range finder.

Attached with a aluminum Chicago screw.

Built and attached the visor. I made a green and a chrome reflective lens, I liked how the chrome one looked better.
I cut a slot at the bottom of the visor area that the visor slides into. I wanted to keep the bottom brace. The top of the visor is attached by four aluminum Chicago screws with the base epoxied to the helmet.

I placed misc military and bicycle helmet pads with velcro to get the helmet to fit snug and correctly.

Trying out the finished bucket!

Let me know what you guys think!

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #23 on: Jul 29, 2015, 10:49 PM »
Looks fantastic ner vod! That's a a very nice job you did there!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084
« Reply #24 on: Jul 30, 2015, 01:02 AM »
Wowee! This is great and a good tutorial for paints and such. Thanks for the tips vod!

"It makes me happy that I make you nervous...that tells me you aren't stupid."

Armor:

Helmet:

Techblade a.k.a Dral Tracinya : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=111300.0

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!