Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP Gen Draltuur *newbie* SV Mando

• 30 Replies

Genessa Draltuur

• Mar'eyir shereshoy!
« on: Jun 28, 2015, 12:50 AM »
Hey all! I am still finalizing my conceptual design and I have some questions that will help me decide everything else since I want my pieces to all be interconnected.
I know the least about making helmets but I know for sure that I can't afford to buy a cast one so I'll have to make mine from scratch. That gives me a bit more freedom in the shapes I can do but I want to know what's acceptable!

Would this shape for the visor be acceptable? It's a poor drawing I know but the general idea is curved, almost like sunglasses.

Check out and help with my WIP! I need you :)
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=94762

Vailin Flynn

• Urge to kill...rising
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: WIP Gen Draltuur *newbie* SV Mando
« Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2015, 02:25 AM »
A design like that should pass muster. The CRL states "Full T-shaped visor dark enough to obscure the wearer’s face." You'll find that there are a number of buckets with unconventional visors that are permitted, as long as they meet that condition.

WiP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=88828.0

OM #1476
Cabur Akaata #16
M.A. #153 (24er)
House Buurenaar Verda -  Batuu Clan
OM Troops: 7

Genessa Draltuur

• Mar'eyir shereshoy!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 28, 2015, 03:40 PM »
Sweet thanks so much for the quick response, Vailin :)
Here's my second question (and I know this one is really a stretch) but does anyone know if the style below would definitely not get approved? The only CRL I think it may oppose is the second one for helmets, "Must LOOK like a Mandalorian helmet from the MODERN ERA."

I know it is just a rough sketch. The idea is that it still has a T-visor but is kind of a half helm with just fabric below to the collar plate, all the way around. It would need to be dark or obscuring fabric and probably heavy, I know.
My main goal is to be a good looking mando'ad so I thought of this idea but it seems kind of crazy. I just need someone to tell me that would definitely not get approved and then I can get my mind off it :)
Thanks!

« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2015, 03:56 PM by gloriajoy » Logged

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2015, 05:13 PM »
Hit one of the App team with a PM.  They can give you a definitive answer.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Jun 28, 2015, 05:38 PM »
We have members with fabric attached to their helmets, but they still maintain the full helmet. I know there is one member going to do something similar with the fabric going into the cheeks and around the base of the helmet instead of making a half helm.

Asking the App Team is a definite way to get the Yea or Nay, they do respond to PMs and through their Q&A board (http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?board=420.0).

Genessa Draltuur

• Mar'eyir shereshoy!
« Reply #5 on: Jul 05, 2015, 01:35 AM »
A few updates!
  • The app team got back to me and my half helm idea with fabric for the lower half wouldn't get accepted so I get to make a full helm.
  • I bought a sleeved shirt and cut it into a vest, attached a zipper and button, became a seamstress, and used a sleeve to make a velcro neck wrap to cover up that area! It's not featured in the pictures below but the vest is.
  • I completed paper templates of my torso and thigh armor to size, just to see how they would fit together and look on me. Any sizing advice? They aren't perfectly spaced in the picture because they were pinned onto my vest rapidly. I was excited :)
  • My boyfriend started making armor as well! He has wanted to do it for longer but never had enough motivation to start. We made our duct tape dummies together, see below!! You can check out his WIP here! [once he makes it i will link it here]

check out my Shonare Vhekalda shoulder bell logo! :) so prepared.

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: Jul 05, 2015, 02:27 AM »
It's better if you don't pose but I think the sizing is good for the chest plates. Make sure you get a collar so that you know where the chest plates will be, maybe make the ab piece a bit thicker to follow the same line as the bottom of the chest plates and make the shoulders a bit bigger in my opinion.

Russiya (I think that's how it's spelled) has made a helmet with a leather piece running down similar to a snowtrooper that you may want to take a look at that.

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #7 on: Jul 05, 2015, 04:32 AM »
I'm a big fan of heavy armor.  The more coverage, the better!  So with that in mind, I'd suggest you take a look at the thigh plates.  You'll more than likely want some coverage on the front of your thighs.  Also, your shoulder bells could stand to be wider, I think.  That being said, I think this is a very nice start.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

Avix Dreylestre

• "Cin Vhetin"
« Reply #8 on: Jul 08, 2015, 03:43 AM »
I agree. Those shoulders seem a bit slim. I might be wrong, but maybe the ab plate could do to be shortened? [see signature]
The visor should definitely be fine. I like the overall design! the shape is looking unique and very stylish! good start!!  :D

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #9 on: Jul 09, 2015, 03:18 PM »
Interesting styling so far, definitely need to go bigger with that shoulder plate. As mentioned before when checking for sizing try to have as neutral a stance as possible, I know it's super exciting!

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51

Genessa Draltuur

• Mar'eyir shereshoy!
« Reply #10 on: Aug 21, 2015, 06:25 PM »
Su'cuy! Sorry for my inactivity, I had a busy summer :)
Can anyone advise me on the spacing and size of my plates [images below]?
I tried to stand as straight as possible this time for everyone's benefit and now I think I just need to work on my posture! Lol
Note to Havelock: I didn't increase the size of my thigh plates yet but I wanted them in the pictures so that these pictures will have my most complete WIP mando.

And I understand the plates aren't all straight and probably need to be adjusted.

above: My left pauldrons probably look weird. The idea is that I have a shoulder bell and additionally a smaller piece sticking out horizontally because I'm a fan of asymmetry.

above: I'm planning on having a thigh length cape that appears to have been ripped diagonally so my back will have some coverage. However to follow the CRL's I know I need a back plate as well! I was unsure how big to make it and also whether to cover more of my upper or lower back.

above: I'm not set on that collar plate by any means. By that I mean I kind of hate it but it offers the most coverage. Any suggestions are welcome! :)

Havelock

« Reply #11 on: Aug 21, 2015, 07:28 PM »
The general rule of thumb for collars is that they should almost be choking you.  So you should pull it up about an inch or so.  That being said, I like the shape of it.  It flows really well with the chest plates - which have a very nice shape, by the way.  I really like the look of them.  The ab plate looks really nice, just long. It should end around your navel. 

The spacing on everything looks really nice, by the way, so if you pull up the collar and pull the rest of the plates up to match, shave off the ab to about your navel, this will look pretty darn good.

Now for the back plate, it'll definitely need to be bigger.  As per the CRLs, 2/3 of your back should be covered.  The shape looks fine, it just needs to be bigger.  And I'm a big fan of asymmetry, so different sized shoulder bells are fine.  Although they still look a bit small.   ;)

Overall, this is looking really good.  Keep up the good work, vod.

Naasad Tal

• "Aliit ori'shya tal'din"
  • Awards 150 troops 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #12 on: Aug 21, 2015, 08:36 PM »
I don't think the problem with the collar is it's placement, because the high edge in the middle is right at the collar on your shirt the issue is the shape...the sides are too narrow & the design of the neck area should be more of a half circle, not a square...with those changes, I think the collar will be fine.

Spacing looks pretty good too & I'm really diggin the custom plate design.

Also per CRLs, if you have a cape that covers your back, you don't NEED a back plate, although most of us do it anyway.

...now for some bad...I would suggest rethinking the purple design on your chest armor, it's VERY similar to another one of our Mando's here & Arizona. Check out Mesh'la Buruk's kit...your a little too close for comfort

Other than that, I'd say you're coming along beautifully...keep up the good work & if you have any questions message me, that's what I'm here for!

« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2015, 11:49 AM by Naasad Tal » Logged

Chris S. OM# 454
Shonare Vhekadla Clan #33
Brigades: Desert Ops #2
Societies: VRCA #20, Elegant Mando #66, Cabur Akaata #72, Vode Be Vhekad #2

Sidi Ren

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 267th Rapid Assault Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #13 on: Aug 22, 2015, 04:06 PM »
Remember to cut a little bigger, once you start bending plates they will change on you, easier to cut stuff off than to lose what you have and start over. Especially around the bottom of the chest plates - especially for women. Unless you are fiberglassing them directly from a duck tape or packaging tape dummy.

That said the only huge problem I see thus far is that your back plate MAY BE a bit too small - mostly lengthwise.

Genessa Draltuur

• Mar'eyir shereshoy!
« Reply #14 on: Aug 30, 2015, 09:10 PM »
Thanks everyone for the advice on sizing, spacing, and even design!

I have redone my collar according to your advice and those images are on the way. In the meantime I finished my lower plates and I'm looking for some OM critiques. I don't even know if these shapes are allowed on thighs, knees and shins but it's what I had in my head when I set out to make my mando. I understand if I should stick with the templates, just let me know!

Also those black boots are what I'm hoping to actually use and attach to my plates. Any suggestions about the actual footwear itself? I really like them but I can get more combat-style boots if necessary.
Here are my lower plates from five angles:

Here is a close up because the lighting was a little weird in the top 5:

Lastly, for Naasad and my future clan I redesigned my planned pattern to differentiate myself from another mando. Here is my new proposed design with the colors I'm hoping to use! And ignore the multiple capes :)

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #15 on: Aug 30, 2015, 09:19 PM »
Custom templating is allowed and even encouraged, so no worries  :P  I will say, though, that your thighs look like they'll knock into your cod when you move if you leave them quite so pointy.

As for the boots, I can't see them very well, but as long as you cover any laces or logos they may have and there's no zippers anywhere but on the inseam, they should be fine  :)

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Dar'manda

• Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #16 on: Aug 30, 2015, 10:50 PM »
New design looks great, Gloria! 

Naasad Tal

• Awards 150 troops 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #17 on: Aug 31, 2015, 02:34 AM »
Love the new design! the boots should be ok & I agree with Kavryn, looks like you might run into some issues with your thighs rubbing against your cod. My feelings about thigh plates is no secret, but I would suggest looking at the deathwatch style thigh plates for your armor, you could customize the design, but I think the side mounted plates might work better for your design.

Keep up the good work!

Chris S. OM# 454

VonSaberhagen

• Vor'en Demar (Vor'en The Carver)
  • Awards Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #18 on: Aug 31, 2015, 01:57 PM »
Greetings!

I like the color scheme and layout.

However, like everyone says, your thigh plates WILL rub against your cod plate.
As an example, I present my app picture:

Now, a year's worth of troops later:

Notice the missing paint on the thigh and cod.  They will hit and bind on each other.

Round that inside corner off a bit and you should be fine.

Good Hunting,
Vor'en

Vor'en Demar:  aka Adam

I'll carve your bones to make my necklace!?!?!
MMCC: #930
Shonare Vhekadla: #56
E.M.T.S.: #94
Aluminati: #19
« Reply #19 on: Aug 31, 2015, 07:58 PM »
Digging the design and the work so far. Keep it up vod

Genessa Draltuur

• Mar'eyir shereshoy!
« Reply #20 on: Sep 04, 2015, 08:46 PM »
Here is everything I have so far! Updated collar shape, ab shape, and thigh shape. Updated coloring on all pieces. Removed my back plate (I may add one under my cape but I will definitely have a cape that covers my back and still looks ripped). Added my belt (I'm planning on having two and haven't decided the second one for sure) and you can see the boots better! Will I need a topper on my boots, on the flat of my foot?

I realize the pieces are crooked but I lost my masking tape and scotch tape doesn't hold up as well. I am certain they are symmetrical and can sit separately and evenly around the diamond and between the collar and ab plate.

Everything I have so far from three angles:

Detail of lower half--I like the thigh plates a lot better this way! I trimmed the corners and anchored them more on my sides. Also the shins will be totally flat but the gold parts appear to be sticking up from the black parts in these pics :/

What do you think?

Havelock

« Reply #21 on: Sep 04, 2015, 10:46 PM »
Very nice!  And you don't have to have plates for the tops of the boots.  But I think it would look really, really cool.  The color design is absolutely beautiful.

Naasad Tal

« Reply #22 on: Sep 05, 2015, 10:35 AM »
LOVE the new color design! thigh plates look alot better now & the only time you would need something on your boot is to cover your laces, which you don't have so you're good!

Looking forward to seeing more & thank you for all the help you've been at the last couple troops!

Chris S. OM# 454

Genessa Draltuur

• Mar'eyir shereshoy!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 21, 2015, 10:30 PM »
Ni su'cuy! I'm still alive. Thanks everyone who has helped me in the past. I need you again!
I have been stalled a bit, mostly on the money front. I'm trying to make a budget mando that will pass CRLs and I know it's been done before so I have hope. I was planning on only dishing out for the bucket because it's just worth the money and time I would have spent (and frustration) just to buy a cast one from NME or HSP. Haven't ordered yet but I will soon!

My question today is will this vest I made even pass inspection? I just handled at TFA premiere and realized everyone had really nice vests and mine might not be up to par. This is the vest I have used in the past pictures that I hand sewed but the closures may not have been visible because I had the paper armor templates on. I don't want to go any further and attach plates if this vest will stop me getting official. Without further ado:

I've looked into buying a vest and it's wayy too expensive for me right now especially if I am to buy a helmet.
Let me know if the dark black stitching is a problem! Also, if this type of closure won't work I have looked into patterns and I'm prepared to make my own from duck cloth from scratch. This whole soft parts making process has made me more adept at sewing and the thought of a template doesn't scare me as much :)

Thanks in advance!

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #24 on: Dec 21, 2015, 10:45 PM »
If we could get front, side, and back pictures of you wearing it, it would help us give more specific advice  :)

Provided it fits properly, the biggest issue I see with it is the rough/fraying edges. I'm not a seamstress, but the first solution that comes to my mind is bias tape - the doublerolled stuff that you slide on and sew over top. It would seal your edges and keep it looking nice and tidy.

Does it seal up in the front or the back? If in the back, your backplate will cover that whole panel and you'd never know it was there; if in the front, it will most likely cause you issues.

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!