Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ralu's armor planning (pic heavy)

• 34 Replies

Ra'lu Ger

• Ak'aan Kadala
Ralu's armor planning (pic heavy)
« on: Jul 03, 2015, 12:34 PM »
So I've been trying to pin down the direction I want to go for awhile. The forum is filled with amazing kits to draw inspiration from. If anything, it makes it harder to make decisions. I've gone through several iterations so far, but I think I finally have it pinned down, the color scheme at least.

I'll post some images in order, so the progression can be seen.

This was my first foray into Mando Maker. I probably went a little overboard. I decided early on that I'm going with a desert themed Mando, drawing heavily on my own experiences in the deserts of the middle east for inspiration. I've met a lot of nomadic people, and the ones I've met always had ways to cover up in case of a sandstorm. I think I went overboard with the covers on this iteration. That's a lot of cloth to be wearing over a kit that will already be warm.

I wasn't quite happy with the color choices I made. I decide to focus on that next, and started with the bucket.

Next was the armor, with and without cape. I decided it's important for this build to have a cape, but two is likely too much. I'll have to see for certain when that time comes. I'm leaning heavily to a bronze or orange mirrored visor. For this build.

Over time, I decided I still wasn't happy with where I was at with the colors. They were almost there, but too clean and subdued. Although I liked the way I was headed, he just wasn't dirty enough. My Mando has been through the grinder, plenty of contracts, ambushes, sandstorms, etc. He needed more... history.

I decided I'd draw from my own experiences some more. I chose to go from medium to light, tweak the colors some more, and add Infantry Blue to my kit.

At this point, I've pretty much settled on the color scheme I'm going for. But it's still not quite there.

Finally, I think I've narrowed it down a bit more. Here's where I am currently, with and without cape.

Final color break downs are as follows:
Flightsuit: Khaki #C3B091 or Coyote #81613e
Vest: Nutmeg #663300
Girth: Burnt Orange #CF5500
Ammo pouches: Brown Leather

Chest, Collar, Cod: Magpul Foliage Green 4C5A30
Shoulder and Kness, Infantry Blue base, Burnt Orange top layer
Helmet: Magpul Foliage Green Dome, cheeks. Nutmeg face, Infantry Blue base face, Claret Wine/Burgundy top
Gaunts: Right: Claret Wine/Burgundy base, Infantry Blue A2E3E8 top. Left Infantry Blue base, Burnt Orange top

For the cape, I'm thinking it'll either be a heavily weathered Boba Style (already have a shelter half laying around) or something more like ghille/sniper veil.

I ordered my bucket a few weeks ago. I was pretty set on an Executioner from Lone Wolf, but I ended up jumping on one of the limited run ComMando buckets that HSP just ran. It actually arrived a few days ago, but I haven't had the chance to work with it yet.

I'm pretty excited to get started on it. I'm under a pretty tight deadline and budget. The goal is to get everything finished up (and hopefully official) before 18 December. If that's not an obvious date, it's the release of TFA. My son has reawakened my love for Star Wars. He's a huge Rebels and OT fan. Last year for Halloween he was the Inquisitor, this year he wants to be a ST. I'm hoping to be done, so I can take him to see the movie in full kit, both of us dressed up.

Hopefully I can make it all come together!

Let me know what you think. I've put a lot of thought into this, but not a lot of labor so I'm open to suggestions. I know this kit will never be "finished", but I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I intend to have a high quality kit.

*I just realized I didn't use the rope girth belt in MandoMaker on the newest designs... dang.

« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2015, 03:01 AM by Ra'lu Ger » Logged
Buy'ce WIP

MAJIC: 151
VABS: 14
-John

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Ralu's armor planning
« Reply #1 on: Jul 03, 2015, 05:48 PM »
For what it's worth, I'm a fan of your finalized color scheme.  I'll be watching your build with interest, vod.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Ra'lu Ger

• Ak'aan Kadala
« Reply #2 on: Jul 04, 2015, 10:30 AM »
For what it's worth, I'm a fan of your finalized color scheme.  I'll be watching your build with interest, vod.

Vor'e, Vod! I had initially gone back and forth with implementing some form of camo, most likely on the plates. I was looking specifically at Endor camo, but decided it would be difficult to execute and have it look right. Maybe on a future build.

So I started trimming up the base of my buy'ce, then this happened:

With some effort I was only able to force it down to just covering my eyes. Quite painful, and disappointing. Haar'chak!

I felt pretty disheartened and started thinking about contingencies for acquiring another buy'ce, but after a few hours started forming plans to make this work or destroy it in the process. I'm not a big fan of quitting something I've started.

I've seen some Vod recommend a heat gun for forming. Not having one available, and not wanting to burn out my cyar'ikas hair dryer I decided to try another heat source. I'm not out of the fight yet.

This is Plan A. If this should fail, Plan B will be to try and sand down some high spots inside to see if I can get enough clearance. Plan C will be to remove the cheeks, adjust them slightly forward, then fill and sand, rinse and repeat until satisfied. I really hope that it doesn't get to that point! Let's go:

Oya! Success!

I took my time, holding the casting in boiling water, then removing it to form. The boiling water heats the resin just enough to soften it and make it pliable for shaping, then you'll want to dunk it in a bowl of ice water to shock it and set the shape (hold it in place while you do this). I was using oven mitts to keep from burning during this step (I know, highly technical). Really, doing it this way almost feels like you're forging steel, heating and quenching. It felt very appropriate. There was some heavy curve to the vent area. I pushed that back to where it was more flat. Then I altered the cheeks a bit, and straightened the mandibles. It's still a little bit snug, but functional. I have a few more things I want to try to make it a little more comfortable, but I'm happy that it will work!

Oh, I also went back and fixed the girth belt in my design. Small thing really, but I'm a believer in attention to detail.

Buy'ce WIP

-John

Briks

• War Wolf
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Jul 04, 2015, 11:27 AM »
NICE Solution  ;D

MMCC Member: # 1195

When I'm finished...You're gonna be glad no one was here to watch you DIE.

My Original Armor  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=85524.0

Havelock

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #4 on: Jul 04, 2015, 01:10 PM »
Very nice, vod.  I'm glad you got your bucket fixed to where it'll fit.  Keep up the good work.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

Ra'lu Ger

• Ak'aan Kadala
« Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2015, 12:09 AM »
Got some more work done yesterday and today. Yesterday I spent about four hours putting in some sweat equity cleaning up the casting, cutting and sanding with my Xacto, Dremel, and various files and sand paper.

This was the result of that work:

Today I spent a large part of the day waiting between coats of primer, and sanding.

Those aren't imperfections in the last few primer pics. Those would be part of the swarm of sweat bees that were hovering around the bucket when I went outside to snap pics. Tomorrow the plan is to wet sand, let it dry, then begin laying down my metallic silver base.

Buy'ce WIP

-John

Havelock

« Reply #6 on: Jul 07, 2015, 12:13 AM »
This is looking really nice, vod.  And Dr. Pepper.  My drink of choice.   :D

Da'am Keldau

• "Shoot straight and run fast."
  • Awards 40% increase or more Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Jul 08, 2015, 06:55 PM »
Awesome, so heat will work. I'm gonna make this work, my cheek parts on my helmet won't go past my temples. Shouldn't take much to fix.

Allora Vill'ani

• Success comes from being true to your soul.
« Reply #8 on: Jul 09, 2015, 12:10 AM »
My buckets from HSP sit at the exact same point. I am going to give this a try.

Allora

Tracyn be Mando hettir o'r ner kar'ta

Da'am Keldau

« Reply #9 on: Jul 09, 2015, 12:33 AM »
Well, I overheated it and cracked the cheek. Fixed it with epoxy and flattened the vent piece on the back of the helmet and it fits way better now.

Ra'lu Ger

• Ak'aan Kadala
« Reply #10 on: Jul 09, 2015, 02:43 AM »
My buckets from HSP sit at the exact same point. I am going to give this a try.

Allora

Take it slow and steady, small adjustments.I've heard of others having the same issue. I believe in most cases the bucket is still salvageable. Hopefully by posting this I can save a few people from selling off their awesome buckets and being disappointed!

Well, I overheated it and cracked the cheek. Fixed it with epoxy and flattened the vent piece on the back of the helmet and it fits way better now.

Did you try the water method I described or a heat gun?

My exact method was to fill the pot 3/4 full, then bringing the pot (Pot is a water bath canner) to a rolling boil. It probably took about 30-40 min to boil. I also filled a large bowl with ice water while waiting. Once it began to boil I'd submerge just the portion I wanted to shape for roughly 15-20 seconds at a time until the resin softened enough to become pliable with just a little resistance. Then I'd press the resin to where I wanted it, and hold it there while dunking it in the ice water to shock it and bring it back to its hardened state.

I used this method repeatedly, probably at least twelve times the first day. I thought it was perfect after that but didnt realize it was sliding on easier due to the moisture in the bucket. So I went through the steps again the next day another five or six times until I was happy with the results.

Earlier in the thread I mentioned it was a bit like a smith working his steel. It's not that dissimilar, take it easy, small adjustments. Heat, form, and quench. Rinse and repeat.

Buy'ce WIP

-John

Da'am Keldau

« Reply #11 on: Jul 09, 2015, 02:01 PM »
I used a heat gun because I don't have a pot large enough.  Little epoxy fixed it up though,  and I can get it on now,  so that's a plus.

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #12 on: Jul 09, 2015, 02:03 PM »
Can we get a picture of it fitting on your lid and of the damage?

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Celebration Orlando 2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #13 on: Jul 09, 2015, 02:48 PM »
Interesting solution, glad it worked out for you. The color scheme is pretty cool, that blue definitely stands out among the other colors.

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51

Da'am Keldau

« Reply #14 on: Jul 09, 2015, 08:59 PM »
Can we get a picture of it fitting on your lid and of the damage?

This is where it cracked. While it was still warm I mixed up some epoxy, pulled it apart a ways, and stuck it back together. So far so good.

This is the vent piece in the back that  I cut out, it made a huge difference on the fit of the helmet. I'll figure out what to do with it later, for now it just has a piece of sintra glued in there.

To add even more space, I'm going to use my visor to spread the cheek parts a little bit, just to make it a little roomier, but not enough to change the shape of the whole helmet.

Also, sorry for hi-jacking your thread for a while Ra'lu Ger, promise it wasn't my intention.

« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2015, 09:05 PM by kodiak2010 » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!