Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Pepakura helmet WIP and questions

• 6 Replies
Pepakura helmet WIP and questions
« on: Jul 03, 2015, 01:55 PM »
Hello guys!
I figured it would be best if I posted my helmet specific progress and questions in a separate post from the one I made for the armor components.
First I tried the WOF templates, but I didn't like them that much, and the first try was waaay to big for my head, so I changed to Fierfek's templates, and made several tries until I liked how it fitted my head.

I have already fiberglassed the interior, and begun the bondo process.

But here's my question. As you can see in the next picture, there is almost no difference between the height (I hope you understand me) of that line that goes above the T visor and the dome. And if I continue with the bondo in the dome, it will look like the dome goes all the way down to the visor, which isn't supposed to happen. So I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to solve this little detail that won't let me continue

Re: Pepakura helmet WIP and questions
« Reply #1 on: Jul 03, 2015, 06:25 PM »
a good person to ask is Bowfanny. helmets are his thing and i am sure he could give you some good pointers

Veye

• Rah!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Jul 03, 2015, 07:50 PM »
I'm not an expert or anything, but I cut that part of the template out in carboard and added on to mine for the depth.  When the carboard gets resin it is pretty stout.

Veye L'dayr
BMG#13 OM#1354

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Jul 04, 2015, 02:15 AM »
I'd say use something to bring the brim out. I'm doing something like that very thing with a commission I'm working on. I'm using Loctite putty to build up the brim.

The process is smoother than trying with just bondo and sands just fine!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084
« Reply #4 on: Jul 06, 2015, 12:30 AM »
Thanks for the tip!!! Will try doing that   ;D

« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2016, 01:31 AM »
I know it's been ages since the last time I posted anything, but I've made some progress on the helmet. However I'm stuck with the earcaps, since I made the helmet out of pepakura, the ears were waaaay to hard to glue because many parts were too small. Actually the ears it's pretty much the only thing that keeps me from priming the helmet... I would really appreciate any kind of advice on the matter. I wanted to use the templates on The Dented Helmet, but I can't figure out how to use them.

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2016, 01:38 AM »
Wood works too. I've done it. Or stack Sintra and sand to shape. Your cheeks concern me a little though as they appear to have flattened out quite a bit since you started. It also needs a bit more sanding to get smoother. Maybe a little primer and sand to show where it may need some additional filler.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!