Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

My sidearm WIP

• 25 Replies

Jaryn_Xur

• "Death From Above"
My sidearm WIP
« on: Jul 04, 2015, 08:05 PM »
Greetings,

Guess I gotta start somewhere. LOL
Since funds are tight at the moment to start the actual costume build, I thought I'd start a WIP thread to document the construction of my sidearm blaster. I have all the parts needed. Now the work begins. Below are some photos I snapped today of all the parts. Think of it as a cross between an E-11, and an SE-14R. I call it the SE11-14R.

1 1/4" pvc pipe for main barrel
3/4" pvc pipe for inner barrel(will be painted silver)
1 1/4" pvc end cap with resin cast E-11 greeblies and metal d-ring
Tasco rifle scope(will remove Tasco logo)
Resin cast E-11 front nozzle
Resin cast scope rail(skinny rectangle with screw holes already drilled)
Resin cast E-11 mag
Pistol grip w/ functional trigger and safety.

All resin parts were molded and cast by me using resin parts sent to me by a 501st Legion friend from Germany w/ his permission to recast the parts, except the front nozzle. I cut the nozzle off of a Hasbro E-11, and made a silicone rubber mold of it. The black you see in the nozzle is a 3" section of some hollow aluminum tubing I had laying around from my model building days. I drilled out the center of the front nozzle, albeit a little too big. To make the tubing snug, I wrapped it several times with electrical tape, until it snugly fit. My thought on this was that maybe someday, I'll wire up a red led, and sound inside the barrel, and attach to the trigger for a true blaster effect. Plus, I think it looks cool.

The pistol grip is actually for an airsoft pistol. I purchased 11 of these from an eBay seller several years ago just for this purpose. The original idea was to build 11 identical blasters, keep 1, and sell the other 10. In the last few years, I managed to sell 2 of them, and also trade 2 of them away(including the one I kept for myself). I still have parts to make 6-7(have to check to verify)more after this one is done.

Pistol grip did not come with a trigger guard. I made that from a section of aluminum banding(like mfg. companies use to band wood shipping crates with). I sanded the edges to remove any sharp spots with my bench grinder, then applied 6-7 coats of black plasti-dip spray. Drilled a hole in one end of the trigger guard, installed a screw thru the hole, then into the front mounting hole of the pistol grip, then screwed that into the main barrel. The other end of the trigger guard fits inside the rubber pistol grip(grips are removable). All of the writing on the pistol grip will be filled in before painting.

I have the template for the barrel holes for the E-11. I will be placing 4 holes in the main barrel closest to the front nozzle. I plan on working on drilling those holes tomorrow. Ultimately, the whole thing will look something like this when I am done.

That is the first one I built, and traded away several years ago. There will be some changes in the current build. I will not be adding the fin across the barrel holes(section of used rubber wiper blade). The long piece on top which the scope mount is attached has been eliminated. This allows me to move the scope back further to where it should be. The only other change will be to the Sterling clip. On the original, I glued it one wi E-6000, and then bondo'd the heck out of the seams. This time, I will be cutting a notch in the main barrel for the clip to sit it, and will attach it to everything with a flush mounted long screw going down thru the top of the main barrel, and thru the inner barrel and into the Sterling clip. There will be less of a seam to fill this way, and I can fill them with E-6000, instead of bondo.

Okay, enough rambling for now. I get long winded when I type things like this. So, expect the same when I finally start my armor, helmet, and other WIPs. lol

I'll post photo updates as I make progress.

« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2015, 08:16 PM by Jaryn_Xur » Logged
My WIP thread: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=234598.0

"Live To Fly, Fly To Live, Aces High!!"

“For the strength of the Clan is the warrior, and the strength of the warrior is the Clan."

Bloodfin Garrison - Nighthawk Flight - TI/IC-4673
Mos Espa Base - Massiff Squadron - Jek Porkins(Red Six)
Mos Espa Base - Temple Arkanis - Jaryn Xur(Jedi Knight)

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: My sidearm WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2015, 12:52 PM »
Looks good.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

darthmayhem

• Garyth Skyblade Taakure- Medic
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #2 on: Jul 05, 2015, 04:54 PM »
gonna be a sweet looking sidearm

-"O... that looks like it hurts, can i see your insurance card?"
-"First the doctor told me the good news: I was going to have a disease named after me."
-"The operation was a complete success, but the patient died of something else."
(Save Stripes XI)
M5 #19
Beards #07
mvs #06
KOMS # 22

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2015, 04:57 PM »
Looks like a Nice Weapon ...   ;)

Well done Ner'vod ....  8)

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Jaryn_Xur

• "Death From Above"
« Reply #4 on: Jul 12, 2015, 04:11 PM »
Update 7/12/15: Worked on this most of the afternoon/evening. Managed to get all the parts installed, and then I installed the scope and the pistol grip so I could snap a few pre-paint stage photos.

Left side view

Right side view

Another right side view
If you look at the pic in my initial post of the pistol grip, you can clearly see all the writing on the side of it. In this pic, it has all been filled in. Also, I thought it was kinda funny that the pvc I used for the barrel/body just happened to have "Made in USA" printed on it.  :laugh:

After I snapped these pics, the scope, and pistol grip were removed, the rest of the blaster was hung up in my garage using a wire coat hanger, and a coat of gray primer was applied to everything.  I will hopefully be finishing this one up tonight, and will update when it's finished. I already have another blaster almost ready to prime/paint. Just need to permanently attach the ammo clip. I glued on the front nozzle with E-6000 before coming inside to post this. Waiting for it to cure.

Keep watching!  8)

“For the strength of the Clan is the warrior, and the strength of the warrior is the Clan."

darthmayhem

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #5 on: Jul 13, 2015, 02:30 PM »
nice nice  8) i love the made in usa part :P

-"First the doctor told me the good news: I was going to have a disease named after me."
-"The operation was a complete success, but the patient died of something else."
(Save Stripes XI)
M5 #19
Beards #07
mvs #06
KOMS # 22
« Reply #6 on: Jul 14, 2015, 07:56 PM »
can you make more of that mag well and mag from the E-11?

I've been hunting the net today for just that piece for this

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=95586.0

Jaryn_Xur

• "Death From Above"
« Reply #7 on: Jul 14, 2015, 08:23 PM »
CarpeNoctem: Shoot me a pm and we'll talk.  :)

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Jul 14, 2015, 10:24 PM »
Can't wait to see this finished.  You have the SWarsy feel down pat. :D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Jaryn_Xur

• "Death From Above"
« Reply #9 on: Jul 25, 2015, 10:03 PM »
Not really much of an update, since there is hasn't been any progress on this lately. Haven't had time to work on it. My wife has been out of work for a few weeks, so I've been working as much overtime as I can.

I did manage to get a couple coats of silver sprayed on it last weekend. I need to mask off the areas I want to looked weathered. Waiting for an order to come in to the local hobby shop. Ordered some liquid masking fluid. Once I have that in hand, I can apply it wear I want damage to show, then everything will get a couple coats of flat black applied. Once that is done, I give it a coat or 2 of gloss clear coat. Gloss clear over the flat black gives a kinda satin look. Not completely flat/dull, and not completely shiny either.

That's all for now. Hopefully my next update will contain some progress photos, and possibly the finished blaster. 

Update 7/26/15: Got a call yesterday that my bottle of liquid micro mask came in. Went and picked it up today, but didn't do anything with it yet, as I have been fighting a headache all day. Will attept to work on this sometime this week.

« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2015, 09:17 PM by Jaryn_Xur » Logged

darthmayhem

« Reply #10 on: Jul 26, 2015, 11:55 AM »
cool beans

(Save Stripes XI)
M5 #19
Beards #07
mvs #06
KOMS # 22

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #11 on: Jul 27, 2015, 02:03 PM »
I know it's a bit late now, but I use rubber cement for a lot of my masking and it works out pretty well. I saw one person use a chap stick and that actually ended up awesome.

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51

Jaryn_Xur

• "Death From Above"
« Reply #12 on: Jul 27, 2015, 04:30 PM »
I never thought of using rubber cement. Might have to try that out sometime.

Thanks for the tip. Better late than never. :)

Got the liquid mask applied. Just waiting for it to dry, so I can paint the flat black top coat. Will be doing that after I get home from work tomorrow.

Should have finished photos by Wed, or Thurs.

« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2015, 11:04 PM by Jaryn_Xur » Logged

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #13 on: Jul 28, 2015, 12:33 PM »
That's too long to wait for photos!!!  :P

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51

Jaryn_Xur

• "Death From Above"
« Reply #14 on: Aug 01, 2015, 11:33 PM »
You're gonna have to wait a little longer for those photos, Mandler.  :laugh:

I managed to get 2 blasters finished today, but it was almost 10 pm by the time I came in from the garage with them. Will take and post photos tomorrow when the lighting is better. Will also post photos of another blaster build I started today using an airsoft gun.

Also started working on some thermal detonators to wear on my ammo belt.

Look for an update with photos sometime tomorrow.  :)

darthmayhem

« Reply #15 on: Aug 02, 2015, 07:57 AM »
awesome, might i also make a recommendation? making the airsoft gun inop just as a safety measure otherwise cant wait to see what you started.

(Save Stripes XI)
M5 #19
Beards #07
mvs #06
KOMS # 22

Jaryn_Xur

• "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: Aug 02, 2015, 09:28 AM »
I did exactly that Zach. Removed all the inner parts to it except for the trigger, and the spring that allows the trigger to function. I scavenged the electronics from a Hasbro Boba Fett blaster(circuit board, speaker, and red led) that I will incorporate into this new blaster so it has blaster light and sound.

Once I snap some photos of it, I may start a seperate WIP thread.

Keep a look out. :)

darthmayhem

« Reply #17 on: Aug 02, 2015, 09:41 AM »
very awesome, yup just making sure i cover as many alorad responsibilities as possible... my work here... is semi finished xD yea if you post a link ill give it a follow. its hard for me to just keep finding everyones wips but if im directed to them ill follow them.  8) 8)

(Save Stripes XI)
M5 #19
Beards #07
mvs #06
KOMS # 22

Jaryn_Xur

• "Death From Above"
« Reply #18 on: Aug 02, 2015, 02:39 PM »
Alright! Here's the photos I promised. Finished both of these last night. I apologize for the crummy phone pics.

This is the one I started this WIP thread for.

Built one with out the holes in the barrel.

Which one looks better?

darthmayhem

« Reply #19 on: Aug 02, 2015, 03:32 PM »
 8) 8)
nice

(Save Stripes XI)
M5 #19
Beards #07
mvs #06
KOMS # 22

Straka Zulu

« Reply #20 on: Aug 02, 2015, 03:54 PM »
They're both excellent :D

Jaryn_Xur

• "Death From Above"
« Reply #21 on: Aug 03, 2015, 10:05 PM »
Think I'll use the first one for my sidearm. Need to make a holster for it at some point.

On to the other build I briefly mentioned which was inspired by another WIP thread I came across here on the forums. It can be found here: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=96420.0

I started with this.

This is a spring load airsoft. Unfortunately, I just dove into this while paint was drying on the other 2 blasters, so I didn't take any deconstruction photos of this one. First, I removed the scope, ammo clip, and the little light on the side. Then I removed the 2 halves that make up the top, and side rails on the main body. Next came the ribbed piece behind the orange barrel. This is the part that you pull back to -censored- the gun. At this point I removed every screw that was holding the rest of it together, and opened her up.

I removed all the internals except for the trigger and the spring that allows the trigger to move.  This is as far as I got. Soon as I have time to get back out to the garage, I'll snap some photos so I can better explain what I'm going to do from this point on with it.

Stay tuned!! :)

Jaryn_Xur

• "Death From Above"
« Reply #22 on: Sep 05, 2015, 07:54 PM »
I decided that I will just keep all my weapon builds contained in this thread. Much easier to keep track of everything.

Spent a little time out in the garage today after a trip to Lowes for some supplies. Made some progress on the tec-9 mod. Discovered that the electronics I scavenged from the Hasbro Boba blaster will not work into my plan. I would seriously have to make some mods I am not comfortable in my ability to make for it to work.

As you can see in the photo, I have filled in one of the areas on the main body. I glued some thin sheet plastic on the inside of this area and then applied some bondo to the outside, then sanded it flush once hardened. I traced the shape of the stock from the Boba blaster on to a piece of wood I had lying around, and then cut out the shape with my jigsaw. Sanded all the edges smooth. Also filled in the spot where the ammo mag used to go.

Both areas will need another bit of bondo and sanding. Next step will be to fill in the seams and all the screw holes, as well as the hole you can see in the pvc piece I installed. Then more sanding, and then attaching the greeblies I have to Swarzy it up. Then prime and paint.

On another note, I also got some work done on 4 thermal grenades.

They're just 1 1/4 pvc end caps with a section of 1 1/4 pvc pipe between them. Still need to fill the seams in, and then figure out some greeblies to add to them to make them Swarzy!

That's all for now!

darthmayhem

« Reply #23 on: Sep 06, 2015, 10:38 AM »
ooo new toys looks like some good stuff there.

(Save Stripes XI)
M5 #19
Beards #07
mvs #06
KOMS # 22

Jaryn_Xur

• "Death From Above"
« Reply #24 on: Oct 05, 2015, 09:27 PM »
Did a little work on the blaster rifle yesterday. No pics as I didn't make enough significant progress to warrant taking them.

Took the whole thing back apart. Cut several strips of styrene plastic sheet, and glued them inside each half of the gun to cover the holes in the barrel. I then screwed the halves back together. I'll be filling the outside of the holes with bondo, and then sand smooth, so you hopefully won't be able to tell they were there. 

I have 2 pieces of aluminum bar, 1/8" thick, cut to the right lengths I need to attach the wood stock to the grip. Just need to get some longer screws. Also need to glue on the greeblies, but that will wait till I fill the barrel holes, seams, and screw holes in first. That's my next step on this. Gonna be time to paint before long.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!