Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Gauntlet W.I.P. Now with 3d printed ones.

• 45 Replies

Arno Kal-Torra

• If your good at something, Never do it for free.
Re: Gauntlet W.I.P. Now with 3d printed ones.
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2016, 08:23 PM »
I did a little sanding and then bondo and more sanding xD it's a lot of work though so let me know if you find another method I'll be interested for the future!!

« Reply #26 on: Jun 09, 2016, 12:28 AM »
I did a little sanding and then bondo and more sanding xD it's a lot of work though so let me know if you find another method I'll be interested for the future!!

If they are ABS you use acetone to smooth it out. Easiest method is to brush on the acetone until the surface starts to dissolve and use the brush to muss up the surface so you don't have uniform lines anymore. Follow that up with sanding after its had a long while to dry. This has the added benefit of fusing the outer shell layers together inscreasing the strangth and makes up for bad areas in the print.

Acetone is also the best way to fuse the halves together.

Choruk Kar'ta

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #27 on: Jun 09, 2016, 12:30 AM »
If they are ABS you use acetone to smooth it out. Easiest method is to brush on the acetone until the surface starts to dissolve and use the brush to muss up the surface so you don't have uniform lines anymore. Follow that up with sanding after its had a long while to dry. This has the added benefit of fusing the outer shell layers together inscreasing the strangth and makes up for bad areas in the print.

Acetone is also the best way to fuse the halves together.

well be damned  :o that's a smart idea :) thanks vod. really keeping this one in mind :) 

Burc'ya vaal burk'yc, burc'ya veman

Avidem

• ba'slanar nayc vod bat te kyrbej
« Reply #28 on: Jun 11, 2016, 08:06 PM »
I'll give it a shot.

Avidem

« Reply #29 on: Nov 16, 2016, 09:24 AM »
Arise thread.

Torolf Goran

• Take what you can, give nothing back.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #30 on: Nov 18, 2016, 09:31 PM »
A lot of people on the RPF and 501st have used white glue or wood glue to smooth out the print lines. They just brushed it on in a few layers then lightly sanded.

Bes'uliik Clan - Arkansas   OM #1545  
Brigade Member - Striker Division, Privateer / Heavy Melee
501st Diamond Garrison - TA 15450
M.M.R.S. - 001 (founder), W.B. - 003, QMU - 055, L.O.B. - 015, O.S.B.A. - 004, B.o.B.B. - 015, N.O.S. - 018

If you're new to the club and in Arkansas go here.
Official Invasions: 18

Avidem

« Reply #31 on: Nov 18, 2016, 10:08 PM »
I was gonna try some light bondo. Also considering pinning the sections together for more stability.

Bariikas Talgal

• Leave a legacy worthy of a song
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #32 on: Dec 14, 2016, 08:48 AM »
Personally I used spot Putty on my 3D printed objects. I just added a -dab- more bondo to the mixture to give it a more lasting effect but it worked really well! One thing that I've heard, and plan to try for myself, is people taking Bondo body filler paint/primer. It effectively is just a -really- thick paint that fill in any minor imperfections.

Retired MMCC: #1608

Avidem

« Reply #33 on: Dec 14, 2016, 09:36 AM »
I've seen some people use it, but I'm hesitant about painted like that. After the holidays are through I'll pick back up on them.

Avidem

« Reply #34 on: Mar 04, 2017, 07:10 PM »
Little bit of an update. The left gauntlet has been sanded and the tops and bottom have been glued together. I need to touch up a few more spots sanding wise and then I'm hit it with a coat of XTC-3D. Then more sanding (I know. Who'd of guessed right?) Pictures will be up shortly.

« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2017, 12:01 AM by Avidem » Logged

Torolf Goran

• Take what you can, give nothing back.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #35 on: Mar 06, 2017, 11:52 PM »
Looking good vod.

Bes'uliik Clan - Arkansas   OM #1545  
Brigade Member - Striker Division, Privateer / Heavy Melee
501st Diamond Garrison - TA 15450
M.M.R.S. - 001 (founder), W.B. - 003, QMU - 055, L.O.B. - 015, O.S.B.A. - 004, B.o.B.B. - 015, N.O.S. - 018

If you're new to the club and in Arkansas go here.
Official Invasions: 18

Avidem

« Reply #36 on: Mar 12, 2017, 09:44 PM »
So I did one coat of XTC-3D and some more sanding. I think one more coat and they will be ready for painting. The right one still needs to be assembled so I'll be working on that in the next couple of days. I also need to figure out the electronics for them.

Left gauntlet is almost ready for paint. I'm waiting to get electronics installed first to be honest. Still have no idea what do on that aspect. The right one still needs some more sanding and spot putty. Unfortunately, the weather hasn't been to great the last few days so I can't do much work on it yet.

« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2017, 08:58 PM by Avidem » Logged

Avidem

« Reply #37 on: Apr 15, 2017, 11:51 PM »
Progress.

Avidem

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2017, 05:33 PM »
So I'm having some issues with my gauntlets.

This is how they are supposed to close:

Issue is, I don't really have anything to keep them shut.

I also need to fill in where the buttons should be since I did not receive any with this print.

So I had an idea to use some magnets that I normally use for my Warhammer 40k models when I want to magnetize something. My thought is to run five down the seam of each gauntlet on the top and bottom of each.

Magnets that will be used:

I drilled the holes in the top and bottom on the left gauntlets. I then filled the holes with spot putty and added a dab of super glue to the bottom of each. My thought process is that the spot putty will help the magnet from sinking to far down since the gauntlets are 3d printed and don't have a lot of internal support. The super glue will help them stay in place when it all dries and should keep them from ripping out of the holes.

I'll have the top half down soon and give it a test to see what happens.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 08:49 PM by Avidem » Logged

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #39 on: Jun 10, 2017, 10:17 PM »
Use baking soda to speed the cure on that superglue.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Avidem

« Reply #40 on: Jun 11, 2017, 12:16 AM »
I actually have an activator spray that I use for 40K models that cures in 5 seconds.

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #41 on: Jun 11, 2017, 01:52 AM »
I actually have an activator spray that I use for 40K models that cures in 5 seconds.
The baking soda cures the glue instantly, stuff is also good for filling print lines well.

QMU#084

Avidem

« Reply #42 on: Jun 11, 2017, 02:15 AM »
I've almost got all the print lines sanded and filled in. The big thing holding me up is filling the button holes and doing something where I cut out for a possible screen.

I'll keep the baking soda idea in mind though. Didn't know you could do that.

Bowfanny

« Reply #43 on: Jun 11, 2017, 03:25 AM »
I've almost got all the print lines sanded and filled in. The big thing holding me up is filling the button holes and doing something where I cut out for a possible screen.

I'll keep the baking soda idea in mind though. Didn't know you could do that.
Yeah it's a neat trick I came across on YouTube

QMU#084

Druj Jes

• Heavy Weapons,Heavy Assault,Hazardous Environment
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Shock Infantry Brigade Member EnviroOps
« Reply #44 on: Jun 11, 2017, 08:58 AM »
The big thing holding me up is filling the button holes and doing something where I cut out for a possible screen.

What size is the screen opening? I have a 1.5" x 1.5" digital picture frame in my guantlets. As for the buttons,  you could build buttons out of styrene,  and they can be either functional or just for looks.

Just my thoughts.

Druj Jes - M.M.C.C. #2302 - B.O.M.B. #105 - M.V.S. #105

Avidem

« Reply #45 on: Nov 03, 2017, 05:37 PM »
I know I mentioned putting a screen in the opening on the one gauntlet, but I think now I'm just going to put a keypad in there. Now I have to find one that'll fit.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!