Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

This is my lightsaber...Just hear me out

• 52 Replies
This is my lightsaber...Just hear me out
« on: Jul 07, 2015, 07:07 PM »
Hello all, I know what you are all thinking. I know that no matter what I say there will be people who will be people against Mandalorians using lightsabers, but Just listen to these circumstances. First of all, I do not understand why Mandalorians can not use lightsabers in the first place. Pre Vizsla and Boba Fett can not be the only lightsaber packing Mandos in the galaxy. If it is ok for Mandos to carry lightsaber hilts than why don't they just use the lightsaber? If the reason why they can't use lightsabers is because mandalorians just don't like to use lightsabers then I can simply say that my mandalorian does. It is my mandalorian, and his preference is up to no one else but myself. Also, my lightsaber is not you're typical sith or jedi lightsaber. As you can tell in the picture, this lightsaber is a guard shoto (tonfa lightsaber). this saber has not been introduced into cannon so we have no idea as to who uses it. It is also orange witch is a blade color that has also not been introduced into cannon. For all we know these lightsabers are meant for mandalorians. and Kadril only has green and blue blades to this color is synthetic.  

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: This is my lightsaber...Just hear me out
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2015, 07:16 PM »
That's really cool looking.  Sadly, though, the CRLs don't allow for lightsaber wielding mandos.  If, in one of the new movies, there happens to be a glow-stick using Mandalorian, I'm sure the CRLs will change to reflect that.  For that character, which means you'd have to do a costume of that mando in particular, not a custom mando who carries a glow-stick.  Unless we see a crap-ton of unnamed Mandalorians carrying and using them.  In which case I'm sure the CRLs would be updated to reflect that.  However, the way Lucas designed Star Wars, only force-users wield lightsabers.  And I don't see that changing any time soon, really.

I think this light-tonfa would look really cool with a Mando costume, but it wouldn't qualify for Official Member status. 

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Reyn Vok'chi

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2015, 07:35 PM »
Correct Havelock. The only acceptable use on a Mando kit  (ie force hunter) as a trophy and it must appear to be in a non functioning state.
This includes light whips or any weapon requiring the user to be force senitive. Cool Sabre though  ;D

Aur'on Gur

• Awards Special Weapons 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 2015, 07:35 PM »
The only way a lightsaber belongs on a Mando kit is as a destroyed, beat to heck non functional relic  to act as trophy from taking down a Jedi. As a non Force user it is a completely ineffective weapon when compared to the rest of our arsenal. A wise smuggler had the truth of it when he said "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

I understand the draw and appeal of wanting to use a lightsaber. It is a pretty cool damn weapon. But isn't it just as cool for a Mando, or any other non Force user, to be effective enough in their craft to stand toe to toe with a Jedi or Sith and come out alive and on the winning end? To steal from an example that another OM used on this same subject a couple of days ago, think about when Han draws and fires at Darth Vader in Empire. No hesitation and shots on target and down range in a split second. To me that was way more valiant and brave than when Luke, who was armed with the Force and a lightsaber, confronted Vader on Bespin.

« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2015, 07:39 PM by Aur'on Gur » Logged
M.M.C.C.      #1127
Gunslinger    #1
Official Troops XVIII
 Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid...'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.
« Reply #4 on: Jul 07, 2015, 07:37 PM »
Yeah, I guess I will never be an official member then  :laugh:. I just find it really stupid because I am just looking at it in a practical standpoint, and If you are a "Jedi Hunter" then at least one of the lightsabers you stole are in usable condition. I know people say that only force sensitives can wield sabers, but what about Pre Vizsla, Boba Fett, General Grievous, or even Han Solo when Slicing a Tuan Taun?! Also It will be paired with my  blaster pistol

« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2015, 07:41 PM by Satyr13 » Logged

Avix Dreylestre

• "Cin Vhetin"
« Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2015, 07:42 PM »
I had a similar idea with my character.
Stolen lightsaber from a fallen jedi sentry. Orange blade. No training. Seldom used for close-quarters attacks, mainly as a cutting tool, when one is called for. No force abilities, just a personal preference to utilize any object that's useful from a kill.
Still, even not as a main weapon, still not approvable. As far as I know, as long as you've got a lightsaber that's not a trophy (which means no longer working), you can't be approved to be OM

Aur'on Gur

• Awards Special Weapons 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #6 on: Jul 07, 2015, 07:43 PM »
Yeah, I guess I will never be an official member then  :laugh:. I just find it really stupid because I am just looking at it in a practical standpoint, and having a lightsaber or any powerful weapon and just mounting it on you're belt for display makes no scenes. I know people say that only force sensitives can wield sabers, but what about Pre Vizsla, Boba Fett, General Grievous, or even Han Solo when Slicing a Tuan Taun?!

And that's ok my friend. Make a costume and carry a lightsaber and have fun with it. Heck that is what it is all about. You just won't be official. You will find tons of folks in club that would be happy to give you advice on your build, myself included  As Havelock said, unless JJ puts tons of unnamed generic Mandos wielding lightsabers in the new movies the CRLs are not going to change.

M.M.C.C.      #1127
Gunslinger    #1
Official Troops XVIII
 Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid...'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #7 on: Jul 07, 2015, 07:50 PM »
People say sabers must be damaged but that is untrue. The only requirement is that they be used as trophies not weapons. Go ahead and make your Mando wield that lightsaber if you wish.

I believe the Zabrak Jetti girl from Force Unleashed had that setup with two of them.

My solution is wear it as a trophy when in Mando kit and use it as a weapon in a Jetti or Sith kit. Your Mando would have taken it from the corpse of your other character.

« Reply #8 on: Jul 07, 2015, 07:52 PM »
Could I become an official member if I have an official costume (without a lightsaber) but occasionally carry the saber around cons?   

Aur'on Gur

« Reply #9 on: Jul 07, 2015, 07:53 PM »
If it is not an official event, then you can wear the costume out of compliance. But a LFL approved troop requires you adhere to the CRL.

M.M.C.C.      #1127
Gunslinger    #1
Official Troops XVIII

Avix Dreylestre

• "Cin Vhetin"
« Reply #10 on: Jul 07, 2015, 07:58 PM »
What Aur'on said. All of it. Heck yes. [Jango didn't need no stinkin' lightsaber!]
And I've honestly considered not going for OM status with my current kit just because the character is so old, and has always had a lighsaber. Maybe I'll just make another character/kit to get official  :laugh:
I know people say that only force sensitives can wield sabers, but what about Pre Vizsla, Boba Fett, General Grievous, or even Han Solo when Slicing a Tuan Taun?!
RIGHT?? I've always thought that the Grievous and Han things were particularly damaging to the theory that, in order to use a lightsaber, you had to be able to use the Force.

Aur'on Gur

« Reply #11 on: Jul 07, 2015, 08:00 PM »
Good point. How could I not bring up Jango? The man fought Obi to a stand still afterall.

M.M.C.C.      #1127
Gunslinger    #1
Official Troops XVIII
« Reply #12 on: Jul 07, 2015, 08:01 PM »
Yeah I will probably have my saber with me but I will work on wearing down the hilt so at events I can remove the blade and mount it on my belt, While we are conversing, how does one even become an official member?

Aur'on Gur

« Reply #13 on: Jul 07, 2015, 08:05 PM »
The short answer is put together a Mando costume that adheres to the CRLs and get approval from the App team. Though, I am not sure which clan you fall under, your local clan will be your best resource in your build. Here is a link to the CRLs if you have not seen them.

http://mandalorianmercs.org/get-involved/costume-requirements/

M.M.C.C.      #1127
Gunslinger    #1
Official Troops XVIII

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #14 on: Jul 07, 2015, 08:07 PM »
I've never heard that theory or I did and immediately disregarded it for idiocy.

The below is from the CRLs page under additional information and it says nothing about appearance so that clears up the damaged/destroyed argument (App Team likes it but not required).

"Lightsabers:
Lightsaber/darksaber hilts may be worn as trophies or tools.
No full bladed lightsabers/darksabers may be carried unless your character is portraying an *in-canon* lightsaber/darksaber wielding mando (i.e., Bardan Jusik, Kad Skirata, Pre Viszla)"

The Zabrak Jetti I was talking 'bout is Maris Brood

« Reply #15 on: Jul 07, 2015, 08:13 PM »
Yeah, she is the one who gave me the idea. Also, if I am correct someone in that game said that that type of saber is banned in the Jedi order. That is why I wanted to make one.

Aur'on Gur

« Reply #16 on: Jul 07, 2015, 08:22 PM »
I've never heard that theory or I did and immediately disregarded it for idiocy.

The below is from the CRLs page under additional information and it says nothing about appearance so that clears up the damaged/destroyed argument (App Team likes it but not required).

"Lightsabers:
Lightsaber/darksaber hilts may be worn as trophies or tools.
No full bladed lightsabers/darksabers may be carried unless your character is portraying an *in-canon* lightsaber/darksaber wielding mando (i.e., Bardan Jusik, Kad Skirata, Pre Viszla)"

The Zabrak Jetti I was talking 'bout is Maris Brood

Hard to argue with the CRLs. Just don't think because it says no full bladed and yours is not bladed that you can wear it, undamaged in a position that displays it as a weapon. Looks like a loophole but it isn't.

« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2015, 10:49 PM by Aur'on Gur » Logged
M.M.C.C.      #1127
Gunslinger    #1
Official Troops XVIII

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #17 on: Jul 08, 2015, 01:32 AM »
I've always thought that the Grievous and Han things were particularly damaging to the theory that, in order to use a lightsaber, you had to be able to use the Force.

You don't have to be force trained or even sensitive to use a lightsaber.  But anyone not strong with the force and trained properly would only be able to use it the way anyone could use a bladed weapon.  Or stick.  You can cut, thrust, and parry melee attacks (or try anyway), but don't try to block a blaster bolt.  It'll hurt.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Avix Dreylestre

• "Cin Vhetin"
« Reply #18 on: Jul 08, 2015, 01:50 AM »
You don't have to be force trained or even sensitive to use a lightsaber.  But anyone not strong with the force and trained properly would only be able to use it the way anyone could use a bladed weapon.  Or stick.  You can cut, thrust, and parry melee attacks (or try anyway), but don't try to block a blaster bolt.  It'll hurt.
This is how I always thought of it. Not to mention the fact that the blade is plasma/laser/stuff. It'd be weightless, and would take very extensive training (and more than likely force ability) to wield it effectively. It'd be like waving a flashlight around. The balance would be totally different from that of a regular sword/whip/baton thing. One slip of concentration and poof. No more arms.
I must say, I still love the thought of a lightsaber-bearing mando, however. It's just such a cool weapon! :laugh:

NeX

• Merc# 1189 - M.V.S. #033
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #19 on: Jul 08, 2015, 04:04 AM »
I skipped though a lot of the comments (bad me) so unsure if someone mentioned this but i believe the reason why Mandalorian Mercs aren't able to have lightsabers as part of their official kit is to insure that you are seen as a mandalorian not a jedi/sith in armor.

Sgtmac

• Peace through superior firepower...
« Reply #20 on: Jul 08, 2015, 09:01 AM »
Why cant a Mando be force sensitive, or carry a unique weapon?  The former EU was full of Force sensitive off shoots, and there was indeed a non force capable light sword,  http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightfoil  Under the Saber Rakes (think rennisance italy)  It says these were still carried and used into the Galactic Empire era. 

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #21 on: Jul 08, 2015, 09:31 AM »
Ourclub focuses on a very specific are of SW lore, Mandalorians. We don't do Jedi, Sith, Imperial, or Rebel crossovers.  The Club also treis to minimize any confusion in tbe general public as to our identities.  "Force user", saber wielding,  Death star owning mandos just muddy the waters.  The CRLs are set to create a consistent look across our group, trust me, a difficult task when dealing with custom characters.  So unfortunately some things have to be restricted. The idea that the CRLs will be changed due to "want" is unreasonable.  As stated before, if LFL adds CANON examples of RANDOM sabre wielding mandos, tbe Costume Requirements List would be updated to reflect that fact.

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #22 on: Jul 08, 2015, 10:17 AM »
To the TC: It is a cool weapon. The idea of a tonfa-saber is interesting, but I'd be afraid of using one, even as a Force user. One wrong swing, and you're doing a Darth Maul impersonation...  :o

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Aur'on Gur

« Reply #23 on: Jul 08, 2015, 11:11 AM »
Ourclub focuses on a very specific are of SW lore, Mandalorians. We don't do Jedi, Sith, Imperial, or Rebel crossovers.  The Club also treis to minimize any confusion in tbe general public as to our identities.  "Force user", saber wielding,  Death star owning mandos just muddy the waters.  The CRLs are set to create a consistent look across our group, trust me, a difficult task when dealing with custom characters.  So unfortunately some things have to be restricted. The idea that the CRLs will be changed due to "want" is unreasonable.  As stated before, if LFL adds CANON examples of RANDOM sabre wielding mandos, tbe Costume Requirements List would be updated to reflect that fact.

I love your explanation. The general public is not going to know whatever backstory you concocted to write in a way for your Mando to carry a saber. They would see you with it and think, "Hey, there is a cool looking Jedi wearing armor".

M.M.C.C.      #1127
Gunslinger    #1
Official Troops XVIII
« Reply #24 on: Jul 08, 2015, 01:16 PM »
So I was obviously very naïve to post this, thought because the blade is orange I still am not quite convinced that people will see me as a Jedi. The problem is that a rule that states that lightsabers are only exemptible while baring orange blades is  fairly weird:D. do you think using just a tonfa is weird? perhaps a vibrotonfa.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!