Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

anvil109's armor planning thread

• 24 Replies
anvil109's armor planning thread
« on: Jul 23, 2015, 02:04 AM »
okay, well, I've been planning this all for long enough, might as well make a thread about it, huh?

after a while playing round with the mando maker, a few different colour palate sites, and playing around with my favourite colours and mandos' colour schemes, I finally arrived at an idea of what i wanna do. I'm gonna roll with a "cerulean" blue green sorta coloured  flightsuit, and use sand coloured plates on top of that, with a tertiary colour of "pumpkin orange" and white highlights.

the helmet I'm gonna go with (unless i change my mind AGAIN) is the NME Props Assassin, and it'll probably look like this

I'll add killstripes for each troop, and I love the Jaig eyes aesthetic, so I might add them (maybe after I volunteer for an event or something similarly helpful to my clan :P )

I'll be using brown leather belt, pouches, boots, etc. probably gonna roll with the yugo m48 ammo pouches
or maybe I'll get either a custom set/belt or a canon set (ie either boba or jango's belts)

and because I've fallen in love and I can't get up, I'm gonna treat myself and buy these beautiful boots, the Icon 1000 Elsinores

not gonna modify them, because I can wear them outside of trooping too, I'm just gonna let themselves develop their own wear and tear naturally. they have a massive logo on the shin though, so I'm gonna be wearing shin armor/greaves to cover that up.

I'm still not decided on whether or not i want a jetpack, cape, thigh plates, or extra belting, as I'm not sure whether or not I wanna pursue brigade status once I'm an OM

Russiya

• Live for today forget about tomarrow
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: anvil109's armor planning thread
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2015, 03:03 AM »
Liking the concept :) For those boots if the logo is true leather you could set it down a stamp it out or remove it and replace it with a fresh pice of leather perhaps with a mythasour carved into it. Also depending on what size you are I picked up some dickies coveralls at a thrift shop that are short sleeve xl that are that same blue color they ar to big for me and I do not plan to tailor them but if you find a long sleeve matching dikies shirt would be good for a double sleeve flight suit pm me if you are interested

« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2015, 03:08 AM by Russiya » Logged
« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2015, 06:42 AM »
that's an awesome idea, I should look into that, my father is a leatherworker (and I apprenticed under him for a while, but that's a story for another time lol) so with his resources, a mythosaur skull shouldn't be too hard. it'd make for a nice pair of custom riding boots too.

as for the flightsuit, I'm a size M or L depending on the fit, but I was planning on having the flightsuit tailored anyway, so I'm interested

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Jul 24, 2015, 12:34 AM »
Vod, this is awesome.  I love your color choices, and those boots ROCK!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #4 on: Jul 24, 2015, 12:39 AM »
thanks man. I started off with the black and red with silver highlights, but it seemed a little cliché, so i went with my favourite colour instead. \

yeah, I saw someone post a link to the Icon 1000 El Bajos asking if they were alright, and I noticed in the product description it mentioned it's "five buckle Elsinore brother" and my curiosity was piqued, I had to see it, and they were a beauty to behold  ;D

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #5 on: Jul 27, 2015, 02:58 PM »
I could've sworn I posted on here...I really dig those boots, looking forward to what you churn out.

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51
« Reply #6 on: Jul 30, 2015, 04:20 AM »
okay so, update: I've instead gone for these

courtesy of DNC Workwear (http://www.dncworkwear.com.au/Product/3102)

I liked the color more, it's more easily available in australia, and if I don't like the tone, I can give them a watered down green wash with fabric dye and make them a nicer aqua colour (also after weathering, they'll probably look right anyway)

until I can afford the Elsinore boots, I'm gonna be working with a pair of generic brown leather workboots/chelsea boots from some store in my area

Malek Dair

• Ratiin ba'balut oya!
« Reply #7 on: Jul 30, 2015, 06:18 AM »
Great looking concept. Those boots would be perfect I think. If you go that route, investigate getting Mink Oil to add weathering and waterproofing to them. They break in fast and have a solid aged look to them from the treatment.

Looking forward to more updates on this!

Oya Vod!

Armour Thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=94290.0

Helmet Thread (COMPLETED): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=95445.0

Soft Parts: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=107583.0

Gauntlets: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=114126.0

Education and armor, self defense, our tribe, our language and Our Leader All help us Survive

M.V.S. #29
B.O.M.B. #65
B.o.B.B. #009
« Reply #8 on: Aug 06, 2015, 11:52 PM »
so, I made a "vest" out of a bintang singlet, and I've got it hemmed to just over my belly button, so it's cut like a boba style vest. it's currently sitting on my duct tape dummy, and I've got a bunch of WoF's boba armor sticky taped to it. I'm about 6', so i used the one titled Boba Fett amor 6, I assume that it referred to height. I noticed the plates seem to sit funny, and comparing them to the 501st's costume reference library entry for boba fett, they look a little large, at least on the mannequin. thoughts? maybe I ought to try the one for a 5'11" guy?

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Aug 09, 2015, 10:40 AM »
Those are gigantic :laugh:  yeah, you want it to roughly follow the curve of your prectorals, and the collar should sit comfortably befween the balls of your shoulders.  You should be able to touch your opposite shoulder without wrinkling the template unduly.

You may wind up needing to bodily the templates based on your sepcific height and chest width - most people do.

Also, I LOVE your color concept  ;D

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7
« Reply #10 on: Aug 09, 2015, 05:45 PM »
yeah, I thought as much. check out my sizing thread over on the sandhawks board for my second attempt

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Aug 09, 2015, 11:10 PM »
Looks brilliant. I'd say go for it  :)

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7
« Reply #12 on: Aug 09, 2015, 11:27 PM »
yeah, I thought as much. check out my sizing thread over on the sandhawks board for my second attempt

I agree with Kav, they look pretty good! Also, love the helmet  :laugh:

« Reply #13 on: Aug 10, 2015, 07:48 AM »
okay, so...

I decided to make some stencils for the other parts out of the remaining pages of the WOF templates, and I stuck the backplate, cod, and kidney protector on the duct tape dummy (and boy, does it look different when the vest is on the dummy, lol) to see if they look right. the back plate looks like it might be a bit big, or it might just need to be formed properly once I have it made of sintra. either way, if it's too large, I can always trim it down till it fits. I was alternatively considering creating a custom back plate, maybe one made of multiple pieces for increased flexibility/mobility, or at least a more customised fit

here's the pics on the dummy (the sash is just a placeholder for the girthbelt and belt until I get them sorted)

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #14 on: Aug 10, 2015, 01:30 PM »
Got no advice for you on the backplate, vod.  Sorry.  I'm kind of intimidated by the backplate, honestly.  Especially since I only have myself and, occasionally, my wife to help me with this stuff.  So I'm kind of quietly freaking out about it.  heh

Your template does seem a bit big for you, though.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #15 on: Aug 10, 2015, 04:58 PM »
It's hard to judge for sure with it on the dummy, is it possible to get a picture with the backplate template on you?

On the Dummy it looks a bit wide, so some trimming on the outside edge might be in order.

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #16 on: Aug 10, 2015, 05:00 PM »
The backplate may need darts to pull it tighter to the back of your shoulders. Also you can do a multi-piece back plate(s) as that's been allowed for custom Mando builds. I have a vode in my clan that's got one that's either six or eight part back covering. Only thing is back plate requirements are that it covers 2/3rds of your back and fits the rest of your kit.

And Havelock, the back plate isn't a thing to get intimidated on, it's actually a bit easier than a helmet but is easier with a second person to assist.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084
« Reply #17 on: Aug 10, 2015, 07:38 PM »
okay so I've done some searching around, and I really like the look of this halo ODST backplate

obviously we can't just use it, so I'm going to use a similar shape, but in a mandalorian style, to get a similar result. I'll be lowering the shoulderblade plates, and forking out the top, so instead of forming a gorget, it connects to the collar plate, much like a regular mando backplate. it'll look almost like an upside down Y or T shape. the scapula plates should add more protection, but still enable me to be more flexible/comfortable, and prove to be less hassle when forming the back armor. it'll also stay more in the mandalorian style, of having multiple "tesselating" pieces, rather than one giant cuirass, IMO.

when I get round to designing a mockup, I'll post it here in an edit.

EDIT: so this is my rough (and i emphasise rough :P ) outline of the design I'm thinking of going with.

the hardparts have been outlined in black felt tip, and the vest is shaded in underneath to show how much the plates will cover. I'd say it fullfills the 2/3 coverage requirement. it ended up looking more like an I than a T or a Y, but it seems like it'll work quite nicely. thoughts?

« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2015, 07:57 PM by anvil109 » Logged

Havelock

« Reply #18 on: Aug 11, 2015, 04:03 AM »
The backplate may need darts to pull it tighter to the back of your shoulders. Also you can do a multi-piece back plate(s) as that's been allowed for custom Mando builds. I have a vode in my clan that's got one that's either six or eight part back covering. Only thing is back plate requirements are that it covers 2/3rds of your back and fits the rest of your kit.

And Havelock, the back plate isn't a thing to get intimidated on, it's actually a bit easier than a helmet but is easier with a second person to assist.

Thanks, Bowfanny.  Although, while I'm jonesing to buy a bucket...I'm kind of intimidated to work on that, too.   :laugh:  I'll get over it.

Anvil, I think the back plate design could definitely work, but you'll want a member of the App team to give a thumbs up to be sure.

« Reply #19 on: Aug 11, 2015, 10:00 AM »
aight, I redrew the image, made everything pretty, this is the design (or thereabouts) that I'm going with, and I submitted in the mando Q&A to get the app team's thoughts

Mavik

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #20 on: Aug 11, 2015, 10:11 AM »
You have the 2/3rds covering so there shouldn’t be an issue.

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #21 on: Aug 11, 2015, 11:31 AM »
So your design reminded me of the Mandalorian Police Officers back plates.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084
« Reply #22 on: Aug 11, 2015, 08:28 PM »
oh cool, no need to worry about my Q&A submission then :P

Havelock

« Reply #23 on: Aug 11, 2015, 11:52 PM »
Yep, Mavik's got you covered.  And you're totally right, Bowfanny.  Awesome spot.

I'm eager to see this come alive, Anvil.

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2016, 08:24 AM »
#NECROPOSTINGGGGG

alright, time to get this show back on the road. I've made heaps of progress while I've been away, and this is where my armour is currently sitting at

now I need to get round to mounting them on the vest, and working on my soft parts!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!