Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

And the madness begins!!

• 386 Replies
And the madness begins!!
« on: Jul 23, 2015, 05:28 PM »
So this happened today! so excited. Got all my supplies yesterday along with two 2' x 4' sheets of Sintra! Woot woot!

plastic wrap prep for the duct tape

Front view of finished mayhem!

Back view.....is my butt really that big?? LOL yup.

Also, credit goes to ZenDragon and Abby Darkstar for their online tutorial. Here is the link for anyone looking to reference :http://www.keabtium.com/the-best-duct-tape-dummy-tutorial/

« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2015, 07:25 PM by ChameleonCode » Logged
"It makes me happy that I make you nervous...that tells me you aren't stupid."

Armor:

Helmet:

Techblade a.k.a Dral Tracinya : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=111300.0

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: And the madness begins!!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 24, 2015, 12:57 AM »
Way to go.  I'm glad to see you getting started!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #2 on: Jul 24, 2015, 01:54 AM »
I don't know if "started" is the right word. lol I'm still in the process of stuffing my dummy. :laugh: I realize I'm an above average sized female but its a little staggering to see how much "stuffing" you're actually carrying around. :o Congrats on the new addition btw!

Update: July, 25 2015 :
So, a word of caution to anyone making the duct tape dummy (something I probably should have thought of). When you cut yourself out there will be a seem that you have to re-tape in order to get the form back. Make sure you reinforce this seem. I woke up this morning to my dummy looking like the stay-puff marshmallow man was trying to burst from her chest.  :laugh: :o :o ???

« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2015, 01:13 PM by ChameleonCode » Logged

Armor:

Helmet:

Techblade a.k.a Dral Tracinya : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=111300.0

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #3 on: Jul 24, 2015, 03:24 PM »
LOL

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #4 on: Jul 24, 2015, 07:01 PM »
So, a word of caution to anyone making the duct tape ummy (something I probaby should have thougth of). When you cut yourself out there will be a seem that you have to retape in or to get the form back. Make sure you reinforce this seem. I woke up this morning to my dummy looking like the stay-puft marshmallow man was trying to burst from her chest.  :laugh: :o :o ???

:laugh:

That sucks, but funny as heck!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
« Reply #5 on: Jul 24, 2015, 09:54 PM »
It was pretty comical.

Another word of caution. I could have done this in a much more cost efficient fashion but my brain seriously hasn't been full throttle this week. :o :o :-X :-\  If you are a large person do not try to buy stuffing in order to stuff your dummy. Its NOT cost effective. Alas I was already done plowing head first before I came up for air and realised what I had done. Use packing material, expanding foam, old shirts, news paper, left over plastic bags. Not...actual banting material. However, that being said....Its done.

Armor:

Helmet:

Havelock

« Reply #6 on: Jul 24, 2015, 10:30 PM »
Awesome.  Now it's time for some armor.   :D

« Reply #7 on: Jul 25, 2015, 01:24 AM »
Was able to cut out my chest, diamond, collar and belly templates. I'm exhausted so I think that's it for me today. The hardest part for me about making this armor is convincing myself it doesn't have to be perfect. I started to get frustrated about symmetry and angles and finally put my pencil down. I said, "Self. Mandalorians don't do 'pretty'. It'll be alright if its a little crooked." Took a deep breath and kept going. I feel like this is going to be a great adventure of growth for me.  :) :)

Armor:

Helmet:

Kade Tal'Vor

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians
« Reply #8 on: Jul 25, 2015, 02:38 AM »
Looks like you're off to a good start :)

Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur
(Today is a good day for someone else to die)

Beskar'gam WIP
Weapons WIP
Gauntlet WIP
Buy'ce WIP
MMCC #1213
New Death Watch Order #13
IT-Mando #20
EMTS #128
MABEL #55
S.O.S. #006

Havelock

« Reply #9 on: Jul 25, 2015, 05:07 PM »
I suffer some of the same perfectionist issues you do.  I stopped working on my custom blaster 'cause it wasn't working out the way I wanted - that and I don't have any spare money at the moment to solve the issue.  heh  But I get so frustrated when I make the slight mistake in cutting the sintra when my weathering experiments don't turn out exactly the way I want them to.  So I feel your pain.  I'm glad, though, that you're taking a step back, taking a breath, and moving forward with your build.  That's awesome. 

« Reply #10 on: Jul 25, 2015, 05:39 PM »
Well you would have definitely felt my pain this morning!  :o I was working on the templates for the pauldron.....o.m.g. There are so many pieces I'm nervous to even get started on cutting. :o :'( :-[ Thankfully it will be out of foam so itll be less costly if I mess up. Harbor Freight is having a liquidation sale this week so I may go back for more mats. Do you know of a bondo equivalent for the EVA foam or can I still use bondo?

Armor:

Helmet:

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #11 on: Jul 25, 2015, 06:12 PM »
Was able to cut out my chest, diamond, collar and belly templates. I'm exhausted so I think that's it for me today. The hardest part for me about making this armor is convincing myself it doesn't have to be perfect. I started to get frustrated about symmetry and angles and finally put my pencil down. I said, "Self. Mandalorians don't do 'pretty'. It'll be alright if its a little crooked." Took a deep breath and kept going. I feel like this is going to be a great adventure of growth for me.  :) :)
I have the exact same problem I spent days (literally) cutting and trimming each piece of armor before I even started shaping my armor (my perfectionism borders on OCD). And my new laminated armor is making me twitch because I haven't done final trim on it yet so the edges are a bit uneven. However, with some care mistakes can be hidden, disguised as battle damage, or even worked into your final design and made to look intentional, so don't let them halt your work all together.

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.
« Reply #12 on: Jul 25, 2015, 07:07 PM »
I have the exact same problem I spent days (literally) cutting and trimming each piece of armor before I even started shaping my armor (my perfectionism borders on OCD). And my new laminated armor is making me twitch because I haven't done final trim on it yet so the edges are a bit uneven. However, with some care mistakes can be hidden, disguised as battle damage, or even worked into your final design and made to look intentional, so don't let them halt your work all together.

My biggest reminder was telling myself, "You can always take some off. Its harder to put stuff back on."

Update: July 25, 2015:

I decided I'm just gonna keep my build on one thread its easier to keep track of. SO I found myself something with severious potential. I'm nearly at the end of my budget but at $10 it was worth it. Thoughts?

In the process of peeling off all the stickers

« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2015, 01:29 PM by ChameleonCode » Logged

Armor:

Helmet:

Havelock

« Reply #13 on: Jul 25, 2015, 08:31 PM »
Not sure where you're going to go with that...but I have confidence you'll make it into something awesome!

« Reply #14 on: Jul 25, 2015, 08:58 PM »
Gonna cut it down it some places. The oval on the barrel I was thinking of making an indicator panel. My darn screw driver is too big so I can't tear it apart today to really take a look.

Armor:

Helmet:

Havelock

« Reply #15 on: Jul 25, 2015, 09:35 PM »
Big Lots has some decent screwdriver sets for pretty cheap.  They're decent screwdrivers, but not super nice or anything, so you can beat them up without worrying about screwing up nice tools.   :)

« Reply #16 on: Jul 25, 2015, 09:39 PM »
The challenge is getting it long and skinny enough. I tried to draw you a picture of what I was thinking for a blaster but it didn't work. So i tried my online picture thingy instead. Don't get stuck on the color scheme except with the lights. Imagine it gray and black and weathered. A leather wrapped butt.

Update, July 26,2015:

Another up date on templates! the basics for my pauldron are done! Whew!

I was also able to finish my all the pieces of the shin templates and thighs. All I need now is the cod, the boots and knees and my left shoulder

« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2015, 02:11 PM by ChameleonCode » Logged

Armor:

Helmet:

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #17 on: Jul 26, 2015, 01:21 AM »
I might use your pauldron as inspiration for my layered shoulders....fair warning.

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.
« Reply #18 on: Jul 26, 2015, 01:41 AM »
 :laugh: I live to be a good example! lol

Armor:

Helmet:

Havelock

« Reply #19 on: Jul 26, 2015, 03:55 AM »
I think it would be awesome if you made that top ovular part into a flame thrower.   :D

« Reply #20 on: Jul 27, 2015, 03:46 AM »
I was actually thinking of modding it so the top bigger part was a grenade launcher and the bottom the blaster spout.

And I learned a very valuable lesson tonight. Cut out all the pieces for my pauldron.....now let me remind you that this is my first time doing anything like this at all. This entire build is one big learning experience...that being said...things can  certainly go from zero to holy-crap-that-got-a-little-out-of-hand really fast...especially when you start gluing things....at least I'm learning about shapes and angles and....well....what not to glue together.

Armor:

Helmet:

Havelock

« Reply #21 on: Jul 27, 2015, 12:15 PM »
I was actually thinking of modding it so the top bigger part was a grenade launcher and the bottom the blaster spout.

And I learned a very valuable lesson tonight. Cut out all the pieces for my pauldron.....now let me remind you that this is my first time doing anything like this at all. This entire build is one big learning experience...that being said...things can  certainly go from zero to holy-crap-that-got-a-little-out-of-hand really fast...especially when you start gluing things....at least I'm learning about shapes and angles and....well....what not to glue together.

All experience, whether the outcome is negative or positive, is positive experience.  I'm glad you seem to be taking this well.  Personally, I'd be fuming at myself.   :laugh:  I eventually reach a state of acceptance, I just have to blow off some steam first.

I'm hoping your next gluing endeavor goes a bit more as you planned.   :)

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #22 on: Jul 27, 2015, 12:56 PM »
Gah! I somehow missed this whole thread! That's a very colorful looking Duct Tape Dummy!

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51
« Reply #23 on: Jul 27, 2015, 02:44 PM »
All experience, whether the outcome is negative or positive, is positive experience.  I'm glad you seem to be taking this well.  Personally, I'd be fuming at myself.   :laugh:  I eventually reach a state of acceptance, I just have to blow off some steam first.

I'm hoping your next gluing endeavor goes a bit more as you planned.   :)

I seriously glued the two pieces together and then looked down at them like, ".....well crap." Thankfully I got a steal on foam so it doesn't hurt so bad. If it had been the Sintra I probably would have cried. I'm still trying to figure out the logistics of building. As of right now there's a giant hole in my pauldron lol

Armor:

Helmet:

« Reply #24 on: Jul 27, 2015, 02:45 PM »
Gah! I somehow missed this whole thread! That's a very colorful looking Duct Tape Dummy!

I figured why not right? I'm a colorful individual myself  :D

Armor:

Helmet:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!