Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP for Lys'ias Krus

• 101 Replies

Kyri

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Beastmaster Brigade Member
WIP for Lys'ias Krus
« on: Jul 25, 2015, 05:38 PM »
Hi All,

Very new to this and planning out my armour. Planning to use this colour scheme:

Just looking to get my soft parts together and hoping to gather sintra from a sign maker nearby (otherwise will order).

Going for the name Lysias Kraala as well.

Apologise in advance for the many questions that I am sure I will be asking  ;D

« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2015, 10:14 AM by kyri » Logged

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: WIP for Lysias Kraala
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25, 2015, 08:27 PM »
No need to apologize.  We're here to help, and getting advice is what the forums are for.  The more questions, the better, as far as I'm concerned.  It means you're not expending a lot of time, effort, and materials doing things that won't work.  So, ask away.   :D

By the way, that's a really vibrant color scheme. I like it.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #2 on: Jul 25, 2015, 11:01 PM »
what Havelock said.... and remember there is no such thing as a silly question. ;D

Kyri

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Jul 26, 2015, 02:59 AM »
Thanks guys!

For the armour vest does it work to use short sleeve scrubs and cut them to shape rather than building from scratch? I have a lot more faith in my ability to work with sintra than to stitch ;)

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #4 on: Jul 26, 2015, 03:48 AM »
I don't know that scrubs would work very well for your flak vest.  It doesn't seem like it would be a sturdy enough material to hold the weight of the chest pieces and ab plate as well as the back.  You'd probably do better to use a material like duck cloth (heavyweight canvas) or leather.  I haven't personally done much research on scrubs, but they would seem to me to be a bit lightweight.  They'll work great to simulate a flight suit, though.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

Kyri

« Reply #5 on: Jul 26, 2015, 04:05 AM »
Good point. Didn't factor in the weight.

Am I correct in thinking that the flight suit needs to be long sleeve? The only ones at my wife's hospital are short sleeve. Don't want to risk not getting approved when the time comes.

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #6 on: Jul 26, 2015, 06:14 AM »
I believe with the exception of the canon characters montross and sabine wren the crl's state you have to have long sleeves. as for scrubs I think the idea is to use them as your flight suit then if you get a second pair of the trousers you make the long sleeves out of them and sew them under your existing short sleeves to get the classic boba, jango double sleeve look. if you're not wanting to make your own flak vest go check out the mandalorian supplies section there are several members who will make you a custom vest to order.

Kyri

« Reply #7 on: Jul 26, 2015, 06:50 AM »
Perfect. Thanks Jett, didn't think about that.

Before I put an order in, would this belt be suitable for my outfit?

Vailin Flynn

• Urge to kill...rising
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #8 on: Jul 26, 2015, 08:22 AM »
I don't see any exposed zippers, so you should be fine with that belt.

As for the scrubs vest, I wouldn't recommend it. The lightweight fabric would work great for a substitute for a flight suit, but a heavier weight material is suggested for the vest because it's more "armor plate friendly" for lack of a better term.

If I remember correctly, Ralin from the App team clarified recently that short sleeves are okay for custom modern era mandos, so if that's what you want to do, you could probably get away with it. It'll just take some modding/tailoring

If you only have access to short scrubs, you may want to look into the layered sleeve look. I've heard of a few mandos that use a short sleeve scrubs top for the upper part of their flight suit, and sew in the legs of matching scrubs pants to make it long sleeve. This, again takes some sewing also. Just an option you may want to look at if you'd prefer long sleeves. 

WiP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=88828.0

OM #1476
Cabur Akaata #16
M.A. #153 (24er)
House Buurenaar Verda -  Batuu Clan
OM Troops: 7

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Jul 26, 2015, 08:30 AM »
Correct, short sleeves have been deemed acceptable for custom characters, and scrubs would be too light for the vest. My Ver'alor made his vest from two leather vests, and it works rather well without having to build it from scratch. He's got a tutorial here: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=82034.0 

Kyri

« Reply #10 on: Jul 26, 2015, 09:49 AM »
Happy to hear about the short sleeve as I am planning a mod modern look. I also feel hot all the time, even in rainy London hehe.

Will look through the tutorial now. Appreciated Ralin!

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Jul 26, 2015, 04:28 PM »
'tis my pleasure!

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #12 on: Jul 27, 2015, 02:17 PM »
Digging the color scheme, looks like everyone else has already answered all of the other stuff I was going to weigh in on, so I'll just sit here and take up precious topic space.  :P

Can't wait to see this come together!

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51

Kyri

« Reply #13 on: Jul 27, 2015, 02:23 PM »
Thanks Mandler. Gradually getting my head around it all! :)

Here's hoping the end result comes out looking as good.

I have just tried attaching the large Boba Fett template to see if the fit is correct so I can order the right size sintra. Can you please tell me if it looks like the correct sizing?

Apologies for the lack of soft parts (to come) and the tiny bucket. Its part of my collection :D

« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2015, 04:59 PM by kyri » Logged

Havelock

« Reply #14 on: Jul 28, 2015, 01:56 AM »
Your collar looks too wide. I'd suggest scaling it down some.  Your chest plates also look to be big.  And it's hard to tell, but your plates look to be too close together.  Vertically, I think the plates are ok, and will look fine once the spacing is straightened out.

Kyri

« Reply #15 on: Jul 28, 2015, 02:19 AM »
Your collar looks too wide. I'd suggest scaling it down some.  Your chest plates also look to be big.  And it's hard to tell, but your plates look to be too close together.  Vertically, I think the plates are ok, and will look fine once the spacing is straightened out.

Thanks! I think the paper had folded to make them look closer than they are but if size needs reducing thats no problem. Just wanted an idea of what size the parts are so I can form the larger pieces out of a single cut, rather than needing to stick them together.

Will try the medium size in cardboard to see how that fits. :)

Welkin

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #16 on: Jul 28, 2015, 12:13 PM »
Yeah, everything is too big, nothing should be overlapping like that. Should have about a thumbs width between the various plates and such, and still end in roughly the same area. Medium might work well for you.

MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51

Mavik

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #17 on: Jul 28, 2015, 03:26 PM »
Looks like you are on the right track. Were you planning on using the Boba helmet for your kit? Sadly that one is not approvable due to the shape of the helmet being too far off.

Kyri

« Reply #18 on: Jul 28, 2015, 06:44 PM »
Thanks I'll post up the medium hopefully tomorrow to see how it looks.

No the Boba is just a helmet I have at home. Way too small to use. Barely fits my head hehe ;D

« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2015, 03:27 AM by kyri » Logged

Kyri

« Reply #19 on: Aug 03, 2015, 03:27 AM »
So here is the medium on me, its slightly larger as I printed it to fit paper but looks right to me. Does this look like the correct size?

Welkin

« Reply #20 on: Aug 06, 2015, 09:52 AM »
It looks maybe a tiny bit too wide, at least for the collar. But for the most part it looks pretty good.

Kyri

« Reply #21 on: Aug 06, 2015, 10:09 AM »
It looks maybe a tiny bit too wide, at least for the collar. But for the most part it looks pretty good.

Wow good eye. Just tried it on in sintra once moulded and it catches if I try to cross arm across chest. Will trim it down. This means I will need to trim down the chest pieces too, is that correct?

Havelock

« Reply #22 on: Aug 06, 2015, 11:49 AM »
Yeah.  The edges of the collar and chest pieces should align.  So you'll probably have to trim down the chest plates, too.  A smidge.   :)

Kyri

« Reply #23 on: Aug 13, 2015, 05:01 AM »
Here is the armour out of sintra:

How does it look?

Havelock

« Reply #24 on: Aug 13, 2015, 09:53 AM »
The spacing looks better in the first picture, as well as the collar placement.  Sizing looks good overall.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!