Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Cakes HSP Commando [WIP]

• 16 Replies

Cakes

Cakes HSP Commando [WIP]
« on: Jul 27, 2015, 04:35 PM »
It's been a while since I've posted anything. With the summer here other hobby's have taken up my time, but I was finally able to crack down on my bucket from Headshot Props.

The paints I decided upon.
Weathered steel for the base metal, olive green, metallic light blue, sunfire black and a few details in white with a little gold.

Primed

Metal layer down:

First test using tooth paste masking

First run of the "primer" layer, I ended up having to start over as I din;t lay an actual primer and it all peeled when putting down painters tape

After redoing the whole thing I got it right

Started adding the details, I wanted it to look like helmet graffiti like the old military helmets. I went with a design I based off the Strill.

Pre weathering

Weathered

I still need to clear coat, add my lens, led to the hole on the right ear piece, add the antenna back onto the left ear and add the mesh behind the open areas. I'll probably add in some flat "dust" into the areas that look burnt by a blaster shot.

I was thinking of using enamel clear coat to give it added protection against dings or paint scrapes.
Thanks for looking!

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
Re: Cakes HSP Commando [WIP]
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2015, 02:01 AM »
looks great

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2015, 01:08 PM »
Looking good!

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51

Mavik

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2015, 03:41 PM »
Very nice paint

Cakes

« Reply #4 on: Jul 28, 2015, 07:36 PM »
Thanks Guys!

Any idea how hot these actually get? I bought some paintball mask fans I might rig up to the inside for some air flow. I tend to sweat quite a bit

Mavik

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #5 on: Jul 28, 2015, 07:41 PM »
Honestly Mando buckets aren’t too bad compared to a lot of the other Star Wars helmets since they are so open at the bottom. However fans are fantastic but they can kill your hearing .

Cakes

« Reply #6 on: Jul 28, 2015, 07:57 PM »
That's what I was thinking but thought I'd check. Maybe after I wear it for a decent amount of time I'll figure out if I need one or not lol.

Cakes

« Reply #7 on: Aug 02, 2015, 05:37 PM »
I bought one of these antennas, it's about 4 inches long and will go into the back of the left ear.

I'm wondering if I should paint it? or leave it black? I want it to look like apart of the helmet and not just something crammed in.

Mercy

« Reply #8 on: Aug 02, 2015, 05:58 PM »
As long as it is weathered to match the rest of the kit, it should look fine.

You know who I am. Even a monster such as you has nightmares.
Before you die...say my name...

Master Build Thread

Cakes

« Reply #9 on: Aug 02, 2015, 06:08 PM »
Ya that's why I'm wondering if I should paint it something other then black so the weathering will pop. I'm thinking of painting it the blue then weathering it. Thoughts?

Mercy

« Reply #10 on: Aug 02, 2015, 06:15 PM »
IMO blue would flow with the rest. Black would pop a bit more. Either way.
Depends on which you prefer.

You know who I am. Even a monster such as you has nightmares.
Before you die...say my name...

Master Build Thread

Cakes

« Reply #11 on: Aug 02, 2015, 06:29 PM »
Hmm that's true. I'll add some silvers and browns to it and see how it turns out.

Cakes

« Reply #12 on: Aug 19, 2015, 08:29 PM »
It's almost done. Any suggestions on what to use to put the lens in? I was going to use spots of JB plastic weld, is there any reason I shouldn't use something that permanent?

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #13 on: Aug 19, 2015, 08:38 PM »
It's almost done. Any suggestions on what to use to put the lens in? I was going to use spots of JB plastic weld, is there any reason I shouldn't use something that permanent?

Yes, there is a reason, sometimes the visors get scratched or cracked, quite a few people use simple hot glue since it holds relatively well, allows a bit of shift (not a noticeable amount, but enough to keep the glue from cracking) and makes the visor relatively easy to remove if something happens to it. 

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Cakes

« Reply #14 on: Aug 19, 2015, 09:05 PM »
Awesome, thanks for the info Jorade! I've got the glue gun warming up now so I'll have it installed soon

EDIT: Got it all together. The antenna is still removable for travel. The led is so bright I can use it as a flash light

« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2015, 09:44 PM by Cakes » Logged

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #15 on: Aug 20, 2015, 09:06 AM »
I love me some LED's in helmets. I've got four "bright" white's (bright for what Radio Shack carries at least). They work pretty decently in some dark areas, but in most of the situations where I have all my armor on there's usually enough light that they don't really benefit me much, other than blinding my enemies!

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51

Cakes

« Reply #16 on: Aug 20, 2015, 07:18 PM »
LOL built in flash grenade. I thought it would be a nice accent, but it's far brighter then I thought. It was just a cheapo led on a 9 volt from china.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!