Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mando in the works

• 29 Replies

SandieMac

• Blau Vidua
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Mando in the works
« on: Jul 30, 2015, 02:31 PM »
I'm currently working on my mando (hoping to have it complete by the end of this year).  I've cut the metal (with some help from my Mando friends), formed it and I'm almost ready to paint. 

Question - instead of gauntlets I'd prefer something that is a little less heavy looking so I'm opting for bracers.  I'm all of 4'11" tall and don't want to feel too weighted down.  Is that acceptable for approval?  If not, I'll manage to get some gauntlets done.

Also, instead of a back plate I'm opting for a cape (I'm currently weathering my fabric before I sew the cape together) and I'm opting for a loin cloth instead of a cod piece. 

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Valo Tonar

• Raquor'daan Clan WarMaster
  • Awards Shock Infantry Brigade Member 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Orlando 2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Mando in the works
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2015, 02:32 PM »
I commend you, if only I had metal working tools and skills My second kit would be all metal. looking good keep up the good work.

SandieMac

• Blau Vidua
« Reply #2 on: Jul 30, 2015, 02:38 PM »
Thanks!  I'm lucky to have friends in a build group nearby that open their shop once a month to let us have at it with the tools. :) 

« Reply #3 on: Jul 30, 2015, 04:08 PM »
Nice plates! Just make sure that if you don't do a backplate, the cape covers your back.

"Only known inhabitant of the Lando System."

SandieMac

• Blau Vidua
« Reply #4 on: Jul 30, 2015, 04:17 PM »
Will do!  Thanks!!

Another question - I'm looking at vest material and I like the way corduroy fits.  Is there a specific material the vest the plates are put on needs to be?  Or can it be anything as long as it's a sturdy material. 

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #5 on: Jul 30, 2015, 04:33 PM »
Will do!  Thanks!!

Another question - I'm looking at vest material and I like the way corduroy fits.  Is there a specific material the vest the plates are put on needs to be?  Or can it be anything as long as it's a sturdy material. 

anything as long as it's sturdy

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61
« Reply #6 on: Jul 30, 2015, 05:15 PM »
I've been told canvas may work better. This is simply because thinker materials (like corduroy) can get really warm. And you have to realize with a real metal set of armor you may get even warmer than the average merc. Just something to think about.

"It makes me happy that I make you nervous...that tells me you aren't stupid."

Armor:

Helmet:

Techblade a.k.a Dral Tracinya : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=111300.0

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #7 on: Jul 30, 2015, 11:24 PM »
I think you need to have forearm coverage that entirely encloses them.  However, you don't have to have lots of big boxy things and weapons on them.  As far as I'm aware, you can keep them as streamlined as you'd like.  And while I personally wouldn't want a flak vest of corduroy, it should be sturdy enough to work.  I'm looking forward to seeing this build progress, vod.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #8 on: Jul 31, 2015, 01:08 AM »
Trying to hit everything you asked about or I think would be good advice for ya:

Cape is good to go by itself if it covers all of your back so that a lack of a backplate isn't noticed. If it dips too much between your shoulder blades then you can make a reverse collar to give the feeling of a whole backplate.

Bracers work in a specific way and can be a little difficult to get right so they don't look like RenFaire bracers. The block quote below is straight from the CRLs regarding forearm coverings.
"Forearms must be fully covered by one of the following:
Full or half/bracer style hard shell gauntlets.
Heavy leather bracers which wrap at least 3/4 of the way around the forearm.
Laces are HIGHLY discouraged as a method to secure these types of bracers.
Preferred methods would be belting or buckles.
Materials such as vinyl, pleather, and thin leather or suede will NOT be acceptable as a use for forearm covering. Pleathers or vinyl COULD be made into strips for wraps but are unacceptable as bracers.
Ren Fair bracers, Unmodified-Leather bracers, Reenactment bracers are no longer acceptbale; and if an individual wishes to become a beast master than the leather gauntlet will be permitted but only after being approved.
Wraps will no longer be permitted to replace gauntlets unless used specifically for the “Montross” Mandalorian character, future canon characters with wraps for gauntlets, or Early Crusader armor kits."

Any material is allowable for the vest (T-shirts are the only no-go), it is suggested it be durable to keep your plates in place. Duck canvas and leather are two of the most common options. The vest does have to be fitted to you (little slack) so take that into account if you're using a less-breathable material. Also if you use a zipper as a closure method it needs to be hidden.

Plates look good so far, before you get too far down the build path we usually like to see the plates taped onto you so we can check size and spacing.
Keep it up and you can be done by Halloween.

SandieMac

• Blau Vidua
« Reply #9 on: Jul 31, 2015, 09:08 AM »
Wow!  Thank you everyone for your great advice!!  I needed to hear from those of you that already have armor! 

Fingers crossed, and maybe I'll have it done by Halloween then!  :D 

And where should I send a pic of the plates taped on? 

Jorad Werde

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #10 on: Jul 31, 2015, 09:18 AM »
Just post the pics of the taped on plates here, we'll let you know if they're too big, too small, too close or what ever.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

SandieMac

• Blau Vidua
« Reply #11 on: Jul 31, 2015, 01:08 PM »
Great!  I'll take pics and post them soon.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: Jul 31, 2015, 01:59 PM »
Going all-metal for a first kit? I commend you for your bravery! :D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Mercy

« Reply #13 on: Aug 02, 2015, 12:04 AM »
I went with a streamlined vambrace sort of look. I'm not a fan of heavy weapons laden gauntlets either.
Pictures in my WIP thread if you're interested. Fourth link in the sig below.

You know who I am. Even a monster such as you has nightmares.
Before you die...say my name...

Master Build Thread

SandieMac

• Blau Vidua
« Reply #14 on: Aug 03, 2015, 09:24 AM »
Awesome! 

I just painted my armor this weekend.  I need to get the other pieces done as well, but this is what I have as of now.  The bucket is also in the same color scheme.  I'm pretty happy with the way it's turning out so far.

« Reply #15 on: Aug 03, 2015, 10:35 AM »
Looks great! You are coming along fast!

SandieMac

• Blau Vidua
« Reply #16 on: Aug 03, 2015, 10:37 AM »
Thank you!! It seems fast, but I've been slowly working on the armor since about March of this year.  Work seems to get in the way of the fun stuff I want to do!  ;)

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #17 on: Aug 03, 2015, 11:19 AM »
It's definitely looking really nice!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #18 on: Aug 03, 2015, 02:35 PM »
Dig that color scheme, vod. This is coming along pretty quick. :D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

SandieMac

• Blau Vidua
« Reply #19 on: Aug 03, 2015, 02:53 PM »
Thanks!  The color scheme goes with the name I've chosen which is Blau Vidua (pronounced "Blah-ooh"  "Vee Do ah" which in Catalan means Blue Widow).  :)  Wanted something in commemoration of my heritage - even if it's a little dark!

SandieMac

• Blau Vidua
« Reply #20 on: Aug 07, 2015, 10:47 AM »
So, I just taped on my armor to check the proportions (I know it's a bit crooked in the pic).  I still have some more bending to do, especially on the chest plates but let me know what you think.  Do you think it's proportioned correctly so far?  I don't plan on having it permanently either bolted or velcroed on until I have all the pieces fitting correctly. 

« Reply #21 on: Aug 07, 2015, 11:04 AM »
I'm not OM so don't listen to only me but the ab plate looks too big. I would take some off the bottom. Looking great though!

SandieMac

• Blau Vidua
« Reply #22 on: Aug 07, 2015, 11:10 AM »
I appreciate the advice!  It's all a work in progress.  Thank you!

Jorad Werde

« Reply #23 on: Aug 07, 2015, 04:30 PM »
it's all about half an inch too big, and the spacing is VERY narrow,

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

SandieMac

• Blau Vidua
« Reply #24 on: Aug 07, 2015, 04:40 PM »
I'm not so much concerned with the spacing as I am about the proportions since it's only taped on with duct tape.  So taking 1/2 an inch off all the pieces should work better I take it? 

I appreciate the advice since I'm still just in the building process.  THANK YOU!!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!