Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Phreakshow's WIP

• 37 Replies

Phreakshow

• Awards Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
Phreakshow's WIP
« on: Aug 01, 2015, 06:57 PM »
Welcome to my WIP Mandalorian Armor for Kot'ta Ad'akaan.  Let me know what you think so far.. still early on with a lot of work ahead of me.. This up coming week I should be able to get quite a bit done since the wife and kid will be out of town.

http://imgur.com/a/bt4Oc

The first pic in the album is loosly the color scheme with grays and reds.   I kinda like that red stripe down one side.
Thank you all.  Again any thoughts, feedback, criticism welcome.

Armor build:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=96632.0

Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #77
B.E.A.R.D.S - Beskar Enhanced And Reinforced Deflection System #124
IT-Mando  #28

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Phreakshow's WIP
« Reply #1 on: Aug 02, 2015, 12:29 AM »
It looks like you're off to a really nice start, vod.  I like the color scheme, and look forward to seeing how much work you get done without the wife and kids underfoot.   :D  A bit of advice for you:  You're much more likely to get opinions and advice from folks if you include pictures of your work in your actual posts.  A lot of folks just don't have to time to go link-hopping, so getting your pics where the vode can see them without any extra effort will, I feel, pay off handsomely for you.  If you're unfamiliar with posting pics directly into your thread, check out this thread.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Phreakshow

• Awards Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #2 on: Aug 02, 2015, 11:01 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Havelock.

Here's the build so far.
And so it begins. Mandalorian armor build. Day 1..

Pre modded helmet. Will need to glue it, reenforce it, bondo the seams, sand it and paint it.

I made a dummy of myself. But I repeat myself.

Templates are cut

Today's adventure: glueing two pieces together, reenforcing, sanding, adding resin to the inside to give it some substance, and bondo to blend the seams. The gun arrived too. Sanded off the nerf markings and filled the screw holes. Did an OK job for never working with bondo or resin before.. Tomorrow is more sanding and attaching the ear pieces and range finder.

Hot sweaty and tired. But all the pieces are cut. Had to do most of them by utility knife. Dremil gave out.

Here's the armor laid out. 2nd pic is a similar color scheme I'm going to do. Using Black, Burgundy, abd Deep Gray. The Last Paint is a Satin Nickel. That's going to be used as an undercoat that will show through when I do the weathering/battle damage effects...

Here is the cape I plan on making.

Armor build:

IT-Mando  #28

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Aug 03, 2015, 02:04 AM »
Colors are outstanding. Looks like you've got a good stockpile of stuff to work on/with.

Is the vest on the dummy the vest you plan on using?
The templates do look a little on the big side and you already cut out the plates. Can we get a straight on of the plates taped to you? I would say they need to be trimmed down a little bit on the outside edges. The collar looks like it will hit the shoulders.

Helmet is turning out nicely, don't be afraid to build up the bondo a little more along the seam to get a nice smooth transition from front to back.

Final note: this should be in Components not planning since you are actually building it and not fleshing out the concept. Please hit the 'report to moderator' button and ask nicely for this to be moved.

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #4 on: Aug 03, 2015, 02:45 AM »
Colors are outstanding. Looks like you've got a good stockpile of stuff to work on/with.

Is the vest on the dummy the vest you plan on using?
The templates do look a little on the big side and you already cut out the plates. Can we get a straight on of the plates taped to you? I would say they need to be trimmed down a little bit on the outside edges. The collar looks like it will hit the shoulders.

Helmet is turning out nicely, don't be afraid to build up the bondo a little more along the seam to get a nice smooth transition from front to back.

Final note: this should be in Components not planning since you are actually building it and not fleshing out the concept. Please hit the 'report to moderator' button and ask nicely for this to be moved.

Natan gives really good feedback and is particularly keen at spotting sizing issues.  He's a good vod to listen to.  And I'm personally looking forward to seeing how that cape turns out.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

Phreakshow

« Reply #5 on: Aug 03, 2015, 08:53 AM »
Thank you for the feedback Natan.
I'll be doin some additional tweeking.

And thanks for the location of post.. will be moving to Armor Components..

Armor build:

IT-Mando  #28

Phreakshow

« Reply #6 on: Aug 03, 2015, 02:39 PM »
Here's 2 pics with the templates on me. 
To give some perspective, I'm 5'10 155lbs.
Lend me your thoughts on placement/spacing.

Armor build:

IT-Mando  #28

Natan Vizsla

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #7 on: Aug 03, 2015, 02:43 PM »
Quite a bit on the wide side. I'd say trim about a 1/4 inch off the sides. Placement and spacing is good.

Phreakshow

« Reply #8 on: Aug 03, 2015, 02:53 PM »
Thanks Natan!

Would that be 1/4 in from belly plate as well or just chest and collar?

Armor build:

IT-Mando  #28

Natan Vizsla

« Reply #9 on: Aug 03, 2015, 03:09 PM »
Start with the chest plates only, once they are trimmed (pectoral part as well as the fangs) then match the collar and ab to them.

Phreakshow

« Reply #10 on: Aug 09, 2015, 10:05 PM »
Been a busy week.  Got the plates shaped and sanded.
Got my gaunlets configured assembled and gaps filled in.

Armor build:

IT-Mando  #28
« Reply #11 on: Aug 09, 2015, 11:35 PM »
Looking good! love what you did with the gauntlets  :)

Havelock

« Reply #12 on: Aug 10, 2015, 01:24 PM »
Very nice work!

Jango Nova

• "Rust'alor"
  • Awards Celebration Orlando 2017 Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Aug 11, 2015, 04:40 PM »
Looking good vod!

Phreakshow

Re: Phreakshow's WIP (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #14 on: Aug 12, 2015, 11:57 PM »
who knew weathering could be so much fun. 
Started painting a few pieces.

It started raining so had to pull things inside and stop for the night.

Armor build:

IT-Mando  #28

Mercy

« Reply #15 on: Aug 13, 2015, 12:12 AM »
Looking good bud. Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself :)

You know who I am. Even a monster such as you has nightmares.
Before you die...say my name...

Master Build Thread

Jango Nova

• "Rust'alor"
  • Awards Celebration Orlando 2017 Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #16 on: Aug 13, 2015, 02:18 AM »
looking good, but an unmodified nerf gun wont pass. just an FYI ;)

Phreakshow

« Reply #17 on: Aug 13, 2015, 12:55 PM »
The blaster isn't finished yet.  I plan on shaving the trigger guard, giving it a triple barrel extending about 10-12 inches, and wrapping the stock.

Armor build:

IT-Mando  #28

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #18 on: Aug 13, 2015, 05:33 PM »
The blaster will likely need a lot more modification than that. When nerf modding what works really well seems to be cutting up and re assembling. you need to fill in or sand off all of the nerfy details, if you only mod the trigger wrap the stock and add a longer triple barrel. everything between the wrapped stock and the extended barrel  then everything in-between will still just look like a nerf. and it's highly ill advised to start painting before you've finished your mods. it's a fast track to disappointment if you go the the effort of an amazing paint job only to be told the base piece needs changed. Seen it happen a hundred times before on this forum.

on a non gun related note. the plates and gaunts look good,helmet mod looks spot on. I'm a bit worried about that vest. The plates are overlapping the sides and the app team might take issue with that. any way you could add some width to the shoulders to compensate? Maybe get some similar material and make some shoulders and maybe a bit to run down the front to make up that empty space. that way you would have somewhere to mount your shoulders and there's no worries that the vest might cause issue.

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #19 on: Aug 13, 2015, 07:39 PM »
Looks great!

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Phreakshow

« Reply #20 on: Aug 14, 2015, 08:52 PM »
Here's some updates

Need to secure the faceshield, do some touch ups and pad the inside.

Armor build:

IT-Mando  #28

Jorad Werde

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #21 on: Aug 15, 2015, 12:00 AM »
Looking good

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Phreakshow

« Reply #22 on: Aug 16, 2015, 09:53 PM »
Its been a busy weekend. Got all the pieces painted, weathered and grunged up.

Thanks for your comments and feedback.. they have been helpful.

Armor build:

IT-Mando  #28

Jorad Werde

« Reply #23 on: Aug 17, 2015, 08:28 PM »
wow, those look great!  I'd like to see a darker/thicker paint job on the mythosaur skull, but it's your kit and if that's the look you're going for then go ahead!

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #24 on: Aug 18, 2015, 02:19 PM »
Looking good.

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!