Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Liz's MandOC Helmet WIP (Pic Heavy)

• 44 Replies
Liz's MandOC Helmet WIP (Pic Heavy)
« on: Aug 03, 2015, 10:54 PM »
Hi everyone. As my Season 2 Sabine has reached the 90% finished mark, I've decided to take up arms on my actual Mando Original Character (or MandOC for short). As I was just looking around Target the other day, I happened to come across a simple, bike helmet, and figured it might work as a dome for my MandOC's bucket. Pictured here:

All I need to do is fill in the holes with some bondo and smooth it out.

Next, I printed out the WOF templates and taped them to the bike helmet to see how it would fit. looks like I'm going to need to add a bit to the back, and I cut out the little eye dart to see how much range of vision I have and I'm actually surprised at how much vision I have out of my right eye, that I tried making it go straight from the bottom of the dip to the corner of the visor slit. Now I'm torn whether to go with just the small dart (Option: A on the right, the original concept), or a larger visor slit (Option: B, on the left).

Here's a picture of the original concept:

and a picture of me trying on the template on the bike helmet.

So any ideas on which I should go with? Option A always makes me think of Clone Commander Wolffe, or a Vindicare Assassin, but Option B gives me so much more vision! Also, any adjustments you think I should do before I cut these out of sintra? I was going to make the whole template out of 3mm sintra, and then reinforce it with bondo.

« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2015, 05:01 PM by IWantToBelieve » Logged
- Liz G.

WIP Threads:
Sabine Master List

Jes'la Rozlyn (MandOC)
- Planning
- Helmet
- Soft Bits
- Hard Bits

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Liz's MandOC Helmet WIP
« Reply #1 on: Aug 04, 2015, 01:30 AM »
Either option looks good to me but maybe not such a drastic dart unless you're wanting a legacy style visor which is still cool and is a modern era design. Overall size looks proportionate and you've got the basic height set where it needs to be. You can probably cut your Sintra and wait to cut visor out until you decide which design is the one for your mandOC

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084
« Reply #2 on: Aug 04, 2015, 12:18 PM »
Thanks, you're right. I'll get started bondoing and cutting out the major frame ASAP.

Question about the back before I cut about the raised bit that runs vertically along the ear cap, and then horizontally across the top of the back then vertically along the other earcap. Is there a set way to do this, using the WoF templates? I was thinking something like one of these two drawings:

I was thinking of either have a flat piece, cut in the shape of the "raised" bits that run around the back of the helmet, and have a big flat piece beneath it, that runs along the back, and stops just behind where the earcaps would be mounted.

Or, I could cute the whole helmet out of a piece of sintra, then cut a small portion in the shape of the raised bit and attach it to the sintra to give a raised look.

I assume the former is a bit more cramped, but gives the feel of what it's supposed to look like better, while the latter would fit easier on the head, but would have the added problem of either having to fit the ear cap perfectly, or would just make the ear cap looked raised as well.

- Liz G.

WIP Threads:
Sabine Master List

Jes'la Rozlyn (MandOC)
- Planning
- Helmet
- Soft Bits
- Hard Bits

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Aug 04, 2015, 12:45 PM »
To be honest the WOF templates should have an inside layer and the detail layer the inside layer is all of the lower portion of the helmet or the inset section where you have the lowered second piece in red in your picture. That template just gives you the basic shape the thing needs. Now with the detail pages(the ones showing the earcaps detail visor cutout and all that jazzy stuff that's where you cut the virticle up the back of the earcap areas and then horizontal around the back of the helmet making sure to add in the extra length from the template to fit the diameter difference between the two templates. Once the top section is cut and attached to the inner layer that's when you cut out the cheek detail and then glue in the other sections that are a separate template. I hope that makes sense!

QMU#084
« Reply #4 on: Aug 04, 2015, 01:36 PM »
I think I see what you mean. It's kind of like the picture on the left, where the red layer is everything the non-red layer has but extended around, like a base layer, while the non-red  is a would essentially be 2 pieces of sintra thick. 6mm vs the red which is 3mm. Got it, thanks! That makes so much more sense now!

- Liz G.

WIP Threads:
Sabine Master List

Jes'la Rozlyn (MandOC)
- Planning
- Helmet
- Soft Bits
- Hard Bits

Bowfanny

« Reply #5 on: Aug 04, 2015, 02:33 PM »
Ok glad it was understandable!

QMU#084
Re: Liz's MandOC Helmet WIP (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #6 on: Aug 08, 2015, 02:43 PM »
Ok, so first things first, I've cut everything out and got it started molding it. I had a bit of an issue on Tuesday since I had to  come home from work early because my AC blew out, and I couldn't work on Bondo then, so I just cut everything and got it ready to shape. As you can see here.

So yesterday I got to bondo'ing the helmet, and I managed to sand it down tonight, to a point I like, but I found a bit of a big dent, and I don't know whether to fix it with more bondo/spot putty or to try expanding it and making it into a cool gash. What do you guys think? Does it look expandable or should I just fill?

So here's where I've left off, and I'm gonna probably either fill in that hole tomorrow, or dremel it down a little to look more like a scar, and then I just have to figure out how I want to attach the faceplates to the dome. Any suggestions? Would Epoxy be my best bet,or superglue, or hot glue even? Also, the cheeks are a bit big so I might cut them smaller, and make the actual slop and cheek two pieces, since right now I have them all as one. Might even do 4 individual pieces, still thinking about it.

Oh, almost forgot, and I did a test run of the colors I'm using for the armor. This is what I've got.

I think the blue is a bit too dark, but the green and brown look good together. I might try a lighter blue, but I might stick with this, since in natural lighting, and in bright artificial lighting, it is noticeable enough.

And after a good two days of working on it, I've managed to finish "building" it. Next step is actually bondo'ing it and then sanding it so it's not all chopped liver. What do you guys think? Anything I should bend back into shape before I go at it with bondo?

- Liz G.

WIP Threads:
Sabine Master List

Jes'la Rozlyn (MandOC)
- Planning
- Helmet
- Soft Bits
- Hard Bits

Bowfanny

« Reply #7 on: Aug 08, 2015, 03:51 PM »
Not that I can see, so far so good now even up your visor ;D

QMU#084
« Reply #8 on: Aug 11, 2015, 06:49 PM »
I'll even it up when I can see more than just the reticule, vod!

So, small update I guess, I did a small make-up test for the face paint that I want to wear under the visor for when I take it off during the day, since I doubt I could wear it all day. Here's what that looks like, it's supposed to match the blue markings on the helmet, in the first post.

As for the helmet, I got it bondo'ed up and a, just waiting for that to dry, and for my local Home Depot to restock 80 grit sand paper for my model of mouse sander. Last time I checked (yesterday) they had fine and ultra fine, but no coarse. Here's hoping they restock relatively soon, I'd hate to waste like 3 sheets of fine just to do the one cheek. I'll probably do another one or two layers of this before priming and fixing up imperfections. I'm so close to finishing I can smell the bondo! I really like how this is turning out too, just like I visioned it!

Update: Sanding level 1, done, applying more bondo to trouble spots on the cheeks and the back under the keyhole, and will continue tomorrow. I hope to have this primed by the end of the week, so I can color it all weekend, and be done when the visor comes in!

- Liz G.

WIP Threads:
Sabine Master List

Jes'la Rozlyn (MandOC)
- Planning
- Helmet
- Soft Bits
- Hard Bits

Bowfanny

« Reply #9 on: Aug 11, 2015, 07:05 PM »
It's getting there!

QMU#084

Mavik

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #10 on: Aug 11, 2015, 08:26 PM »
It is great to see a visor design that is unique without trying to stray too far from the basics. Your bucket appears to be coming along great.

Malek Dair

• Ratiin ba'balut oya!
« Reply #11 on: Aug 11, 2015, 08:30 PM »
I like the asymmetry of t portion of the visor. Like the idea of the "tattoos" on your face for when you have taken the buy'ce off.

The concept is becoming a reality now!

Nice one vod!

Armour Thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=94290.0

Helmet Thread (COMPLETED): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=95445.0

Soft Parts: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=107583.0

Gauntlets: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=114126.0

Education and armor, self defense, our tribe, our language and Our Leader All help us Survive

M.V.S. #29
B.O.M.B. #65
B.o.B.B. #009
« Reply #12 on: Aug 12, 2015, 08:43 AM »
Alright, so I lied, I couldn't wait another day, so I went back to sanding when I saw it was cured, and them started priming it to see the trouble spots. Now I'm at a loss for whether to use more bondo or spot putty. I've never had much luck with spot putty, but I don't want to mix too much bondo for all these little divets in the cheeks. Also, that roughted up area on the brow, should I just sand it down, or should I apply some bondo to fix it? I'm leaning toward the latter, but the former seems viable. As usual, advice, suggestions, and tips are always welcome!

- Liz G.

WIP Threads:
Sabine Master List

Jes'la Rozlyn (MandOC)
- Planning
- Helmet
- Soft Bits
- Hard Bits

Bowfanny

« Reply #13 on: Aug 12, 2015, 09:58 AM »
Those small spots would be a lot easier to fill with the spot putty but that crazy Bowfanny guy has been trying out other methods to fill little holes and things.... I have been using loctite putty- the stuff that you mix by hand like play dough- and it's been working well, it even cures fast enough that you can sand after 20 minutes but I leave it overnight just to be perfectly sure!! A little 3-4 inch roll cost less than $4 here and you can fix those pin holes quick. The dome I'm not seeing anything wrong, or the brow ridges, also once you've got a couple layers of paint on it the spots tend to hide a bit.

QMU#084
« Reply #14 on: Aug 13, 2015, 08:02 PM »
Alright, so big update:

So I tried looking for that Loctite putty stuff, to no avail, so I just went the bondo route again...I also added a back plate with key slots in. I styled them after Sabine's because they were the first that came to mind, and I like her helmet!

Also, made these, The RF earcap is two pieces, and the RF will be attached to the lower one via a Chicago screw. That way I can remove it for transport. Still working on making the stock and RF bit though.

So then I sprayed some more primer, and started sanding it down, as seen here, nothing interesting to see here.

Except for a tiny crack, which I tried peeling off, and it took a large chunk of the cheek primer off. So I tried spraying it with my aluminum, metallic, and the separation was pretty apparent, as you can see.

So I've sanded down that side, and a few problem areas I found, reprimed, and resprayed silver, and next will be some toothpaste and brown spray. Once the brown is done, just need to mask things, add some green, then blue, the visor, and I'm pretty much done. The Range finder I might make later, out of wood, for the stalk, and balsa for the RF, so that it's light and easy to manipulate, also, so I can add a magnet to it.

- Liz G.

WIP Threads:
Sabine Master List

Jes'la Rozlyn (MandOC)
- Planning
- Helmet
- Soft Bits
- Hard Bits
« Reply #15 on: Aug 13, 2015, 09:36 PM »
Great work.
Where did you get templates for this style of helmet?

« Reply #16 on: Aug 13, 2015, 10:29 PM »
I just used the WoF templates on the main site. I just cut out the dart shape, and just drew a bunch of lines from the corners of the cheeks to each other and made it angular. Then I make the cheek templates myself. It's all just a bike helmet and sintra, as you can see! Although, the bike helmet's narrow dome, made the front view seem a bit narrow from the front, just a head's up.

Also, small update, I lied, I'm an impatient di'kut, and decided to spray it brown over night, so that it'll dry all day long tomorrow and be good for masking to paint the green!

- Liz G.

WIP Threads:
Sabine Master List

Jes'la Rozlyn (MandOC)
- Planning
- Helmet
- Soft Bits
- Hard Bits
« Reply #17 on: Aug 13, 2015, 11:52 PM »
How do you attach the sintra to the helmet? Is it glued edge to edge or does it overlap the helmet slightly?

« Reply #18 on: Aug 15, 2015, 06:36 PM »
I used some loctite superglue. reinforced with some epoxy. I've found that Sintra reacts to superglue really strong, and if you try to take it apart, it will take out large chunks of one piece and leave it attached to the other. The bike helmet I used also let the super glue stick really well, then I just coated the inside where it touches the helmet with epoxy just to give it a little more reinforcement. Haven't had any issues with it coming undone, so I think it's quite successful. Probably going to go only epoxy or Hot Glue (which I haven't had much luck with since it just peels off sintra) to mount the visor on the inside. Will have more progress pictures later today!

Update:

So I've run into a predicament. I managed to paint all the colors on my buy'ce.

Now, the problem came last night, whenever I tried to put a layer of flat finish, it gave a bad white residue, but NOT around the holes I filled with bondo, so it made it look like there were spots. When I tried to spray more, it only got worse. So I tried to take off the film, and respray the brown, which is causing the paint to scrunch up and look like veins. So now I've sanded it down, and now I'm respraying primer, and I have to redo the brown on the dome, but that takes me back to square one, where I have to get the flat on without leaving a white residue. Any suggestions, or have anyone seen this problem before? Bueller, Bueller? Bowfanny?

- Liz G.

WIP Threads:
Sabine Master List

Jes'la Rozlyn (MandOC)
- Planning
- Helmet
- Soft Bits
- Hard Bits

Malek Dair

• Ratiin ba'balut oya!
« Reply #19 on: Aug 15, 2015, 06:50 PM »
Sounds like one of a few possible issues.

Are you using the flat spray indoors? Dust and other particulate can cause this and make the varnish look "fuzzy and frost". Was the bucket wiped down before you tried to apply the sealer? Left overs from sanding can cause chunks and weird drying.

How old is the spray? Has it just been purchased? Maybe it wasn't shaken enough before application?

Heat/cold can affect finishes too. Too cold it gets clumpy, too hot it gets too thin and spotty.

Is it the same brand as the paint it's going over top of? Also, are you using a water based sealant over an oil based paint? Chemicals companies use propellants that can have adverse reactions to other formulations of paint. Sometimes it's a serendipitous finish, other times (most I've witnessed) can be horrible and discouraging....

Chin up. I'm sure you will get this figured out vod!

« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2015, 06:54 PM by Malek Dair » Logged
Armour Thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=94290.0

Helmet Thread (COMPLETED): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=95445.0

Soft Parts: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=107583.0

Gauntlets: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=114126.0

Education and armor, self defense, our tribe, our language and Our Leader All help us Survive

M.V.S. #29
B.O.M.B. #65
B.o.B.B. #009

Bowfanny

« Reply #20 on: Aug 15, 2015, 08:41 PM »
Ah you've found my nemesis! The paint is the part that is most difficult for me, as its one of or a couple of things that could have happened. I've been naughty in the past and have mixed brands myself and I prefer not to clear coat because you can get such varying problems with the finish and I personally like adding battle damage to my kit with scuffs and things.

QMU#084
« Reply #21 on: Aug 15, 2015, 08:48 PM »
Thanks guys, yeah, it might be the mixing brands issue. I'm using Rust-o-leum paints, with a velspar finsh, since it's the finish that I used for my Sabine, but it completely crossed my mind that I was using velspar paint for that. I guess I'll just need to strip the paint, and start from scratch....Any good methods of taking the paint off? I figured a heatgun, since that's what they're used for....but, that might be counter productive, since it might warp the sintra?

- Liz G.

WIP Threads:
Sabine Master List

Jes'la Rozlyn (MandOC)
- Planning
- Helmet
- Soft Bits
- Hard Bits

Bowfanny

« Reply #22 on: Aug 15, 2015, 09:37 PM »
Thanks guys, yeah, it might be the mixing brands issue. I'm using Rust-o-leum paints, with a velspar finsh, since it's the finish that I used for my Sabine, but it completely crossed my mind that I was using velspar paint for that. I guess I'll just need to strip the paint, and start from scratch....Any good methods of taking the paint off? I figured a heatgun, since that's what they're used for....but, that might be counter productive, since it might warp the sintra?

A decent sanding always works fine Vod.

QMU#084
« Reply #23 on: Aug 15, 2015, 09:42 PM »
Hmmm, I tried sanding it twice before, but the paint gunked up and it didn't come off very well, just managed to smear it everywhere...I'll see if I can try it again. So long as I can get a smooth surface, I can prime, paint and try finishing with proper paint this time. orz And I still have to finish the RF, but that shouldn't take too much longer. But thanks for all the info, vode!

- Liz G.

WIP Threads:
Sabine Master List

Jes'la Rozlyn (MandOC)
- Planning
- Helmet
- Soft Bits
- Hard Bits

Bowfanny

« Reply #24 on: Aug 15, 2015, 10:25 PM »
Hmmm, I tried sanding it twice before, but the paint gunked up and it didn't come off very well, just managed to smear it everywhere...I'll see if I can try it again. So long as I can get a smooth surface, I can prime, paint and try finishing with proper paint this time. orz And I still have to finish the RF, but that shouldn't take too much longer. But thanks for all the info, vode!
Oya Vod and Mandalor's speed!!

QMU#084

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!