Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Laaran's First Build - Aaray Bladesinger **APPROVED**

• 133 Replies

Laaran Dala

• Though she be but little, she is fierce.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018
Hello everyone!  I've been working on my armor for a couple months, and just realized that I hadn't started an official WIP thread for it.  This is Aaray Bladesinger, the assassin.  The plates are 3mm Sintra, and I'm using Krylon for my paint.  So here we go, start to...now.  If you have any feedback/advice/questions, please let me know!

The Beginning

I used the Jango templates for most of the plates, and actually free-handed the shoulder bells. 

Knees!

I did these much later than the rest of the plates, and free-handed the design - I just wanted them to be simple, and do the job!

Fit Test!

I couldn't get the top parts of my armor to stay on with tape, so I only have a picture of the bottom half so far.  And don't worry, I have a method for covering the laces on my boots!

And that's everything pre-paint!

« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2016, 11:24 AM by Laaran_Dala » Logged

Laaran Dala

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018
Re: Laaran's First Build - Aaray Bladesinger
« Reply #1 on: Aug 05, 2015, 12:04 PM »
Nothing too exciting here, just primer!

corriban

• Mercs War Correspondent
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Aug 05, 2015, 12:13 PM »
Looking good vod! The scale looks really good. Do you have a color concept yet?

Zasiya Adenn V2 | Dee Ca'tra
MERC #1078 | KOVA #0011 | M5 #42 | QMU #019 | ALLUMINATI #027 | PMS #003

Laaran Dala

« Reply #3 on: Aug 05, 2015, 12:36 PM »
Thanks!  The color scheme is black, red, and silver.  The flight suit, vest, boots, and gloves are black.  One shoulder bell will stay metal, with the Suumpir'ade clan sigil in black and red, and the other will be solid red, with tally marks for kills "scratched" into the paint.  Most of the plates will be black with a red and silver stripe here and there (haven't planned the exact layout of the stripes yet).  The knees will be red...and I really don't know what I'm doing with my boot plates yet.

Laaran Dala

« Reply #4 on: Aug 05, 2015, 12:54 PM »
Now we're in more recent territory - METAL  :P !  I had to scrap my original shoulder bells - they just weren't large enough for the "sleeves" on my flak vest.  I also had to trim down the chest plates as they were stabbing me in the arm.  I used a dremel to round off the edges of the plates for a more finished look.

Overview

Just a little closer...

Detail shot!

I used a hammer-finish paint, and I really like the way it looks. 

Hopefully I'll be able to finish ALL my paint this weekend, so there should be updated pics on Monday, if not sooner!

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #5 on: Aug 05, 2015, 12:57 PM »
It's looking really nice, vod.  Any chance we can get pictures of the plates on you to check sizing and spacing?

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Aug 05, 2015, 01:03 PM »
A fit check would be super helpful. Also, do you have a collar plate?  It's one of the required plates, and is actually pretty important as far as spacing goes.

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Laaran Dala

« Reply #7 on: Aug 05, 2015, 01:18 PM »
Doing a fit / spacing check is high on my priority list for this weekend.  And for some odd reason, I completely forgot about a neck plate  :-[ , so I'll knock one of those out as well.  Thanks guys!

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #8 on: Aug 05, 2015, 03:51 PM »
Sure thing.  And how did I miss that you didn't have a collar?  Sheesh.  Anyway, we'll be looking forward to the new pics.  Good work.   :)

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

Mavik

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #9 on: Aug 05, 2015, 05:25 PM »
Looks like you are making great progress. Do you have plans for a back plate?

Laaran Dala

« Reply #10 on: Aug 06, 2015, 08:29 AM »
Since this is my first kit, and I've heard that backplates can be kind of a pain, I've opted for a full-coverage cape instead. 

Vailin Flynn

• Urge to kill...rising
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #11 on: Aug 07, 2015, 02:30 AM »
Kudos for making the hammered metal look work. I tried that on some test plates, never worked out. Keep up the good work :)

WiP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=88828.0

OM #1476
Cabur Akaata #16
M.A. #153 (24er)
House Buurenaar Verda -  Batuu Clan
OM Troops: 7

Laaran Dala

« Reply #12 on: Aug 07, 2015, 01:59 PM »
I really like the hammered finish - so much so, I almost don't want to paint over it!  I went ahead and made a collar/neck plate last night, and also did an upper-body fit test.  Please keep in mind that the plates are taped on, and if I look awkward, it's because I was try to move as little as possible for fear that they would fall off.

Also, I'm planning on doing some better-quality pictures this weekend, hopefully in full kit (minus helmet and gaunts).  Fire away!

Havelock

« Reply #13 on: Aug 07, 2015, 02:03 PM »
The spacing is looking really good.  Your collar looks like it's sitting in exactly the right place.  I'm not sure if the chest plates are too wide for the collar or not.  Since sizing matters differ somewhat for ladies.  You'll want someone with much more experience than me, preferably and App Team member, to weigh in on the collar/chest plates issue. 

Overall, I think this is looking great

And incidentally, I love your Mando name.  My first ever tabletop RPG character I named Airik Bladesinger.  heh  So, long lost vod.   :D

Laaran Dala

« Reply #14 on: Aug 07, 2015, 04:21 PM »
I was told by a clan member that the neck piece might not be wide enough, so I'm going to make a new one, just to be safe. 

And what are the odds of finding a long lost relative in this neck of the galaxy???  ;)

Havelock

« Reply #15 on: Aug 07, 2015, 06:02 PM »
I guess the galaxy's a lot smaller place than we thought.   :laugh:

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #16 on: Aug 07, 2015, 07:34 PM »
To be CRL technical, your chest plates can extend an inch (no more) than your collar. So you could simply trim the chest plates a tiny bit. I offer this advice in case you find that a wider collar inhibits your arm movement (my shoulder joint shifts pretty much from my neck so a wide collar means it shifts out of place if I so much as twitch my arms while holding my rifle) Another option, if necessary is to have a segmented collar.
Or of course, you could be built in a way that means a wider collar isn't a problem :P
I will say however, that the rest of that spacing is absolutely spot on.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Kaelik

• "Crazy? Me? Of course I am, I married a Mando."
« Reply #17 on: Aug 07, 2015, 09:50 PM »
Hi there,  I'm working on armor for my wife,  I'm wondering how you shaped the chest pieces?

Laaran Dala

« Reply #18 on: Aug 09, 2015, 07:30 PM »
I like the idea of a segmented collar...I might look into that!

Hi there,  I'm working on armor for my wife,  I'm wondering how you shaped the chest pieces?

Kaelik, I softened the plates up in the oven, and used a mannequin to get the general shape.  Then I used a heat gun to tweak any corners or contours that I couldn't get just right with the oven method. 

Laaran Dala

« Reply #19 on: Aug 13, 2015, 06:04 PM »
So...still working on a collar plate, but here's the rest of the kit!

I also did this.  ;D

Havelock

« Reply #20 on: Aug 14, 2015, 01:52 AM »
Wow, looks awesome!  Sizing and spacing look really nice.  You might want to move the shoulder pieces up just a little, but I think that's just my personal preference.  :)

Nice work!

Laaran Dala

« Reply #21 on: Aug 24, 2015, 10:40 AM »
So I had a pretty productive weekend...still working on the neck plate (I managed to royally screw up the one I had been working on >:( ), but I made some progress in a couple other areas.  Check it out!

Pre-weathering and detail

Post-weathering and detail

Still have a few detail things to do, and I have to re-do the paint on the left knee plate due to some bubbling, but other than that, she's basically done!  ;D

Havelock

« Reply #22 on: Aug 25, 2015, 12:08 AM »
Love it!  Keep up the good work!

corriban

• Mercs War Correspondent
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #23 on: Aug 25, 2015, 11:11 AM »
Looks real good! Spacing and sizing look spot on. Love the paint application!

Zasiya Adenn V2 | Dee Ca'tra
MERC #1078 | KOVA #0011 | M5 #42 | QMU #019 | ALLUMINATI #027 | PMS #003

Laaran Dala

« Reply #24 on: Aug 25, 2015, 04:39 PM »
Thanks guys!   ;D

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!