Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Bo Katan-style armor set W.I.P.

• 36 Replies

Aleara

• Does it matter? I'm a dragon!
Bo Katan-style armor set W.I.P.
« on: Aug 05, 2015, 10:02 PM »
I have a Late Crusader build going on right now, but I wanted to make a (hopefully) more quickly-approved armor set. That and I wanted a little more time to work on my Late Crusader.  ;D

Here is the concept art as well as the samples of the materials I'm using.

(The cape is actually going to be pink, I have more of that is why.   ;))

I also scored some belt pouches that are just what I was hoping to find! I love my clan.  :kiss:

Will be adding more info on the helmet, etc soon as I get pics.  8)

Mavik

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Bo Katan-style armor set W.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 05, 2015, 10:16 PM »
Looks like you are off to a solid start

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #2 on: Aug 05, 2015, 11:00 PM »
Yep.  Looking forward to watching this come together.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Aug 17, 2015, 03:44 PM »
lol I get it see it actually be built lol Aleara does pretty good work and is one of our most active recruit members.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Aleara

« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2015, 12:37 PM »
Ok, update time...finally. :)

Vest/Kama combo with the "faux flight suit" material hanging underneath. They're both darker in-person, but I like them on camera. :)

Here's most of the pieces (minus the sh-knees and one other piece I haven't cut out yet) with their base of silver paint:

Cool-looking segmented back plate (thanks to Kol Hokan for the idea):

Here's the parts with the pink on them!

The bracers (from ComradeDuck) with a nice, shiny silver base coat:

Getting a Night Owl from ComradeDuck as well.

Did I mention my clan is pretty great? ;-)

« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2015, 12:35 PM by Aleara » Logged

Aleara

« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2015, 12:44 PM »
Whoops! Almost forgot to link this video I took of my cape/cloak fabric:

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2015, 02:15 PM »
Nice.  Very cool stuff.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2015, 05:43 PM »
Nope you forgot to mention that nice little Easter egg Al ;D

QMU#084
« Reply #8 on: Aug 28, 2015, 05:52 PM »
Nice; I planned on using scrubs as a base for my flight suit. Though to make it look like a one peace I'm going to use a girth belt. But so far yours is looking really good. Can't wait to see more

Aleara

« Reply #9 on: Sep 01, 2015, 03:12 AM »
Got the weathering done on everything but my bracers and my cape!

Only thing I need to get finished is the green flight suit.
  Well, okay I need to make holsters for the guns...and I need to paint the guns... blah blah blah :P

Aleara

« Reply #10 on: Sep 05, 2015, 02:12 AM »
Ok some preliminary plate placement (how's that for alliteration?) for the torso:

Havelock

« Reply #11 on: Sep 05, 2015, 05:24 AM »
With such a unique design, and with it hanging on a mannequin, it's hard to tell if the placement is right.  I think so, but I'm not certain.  Sorry.

I love the back diamond, by the way.   :)

Aleara

« Reply #12 on: Sep 09, 2015, 06:37 PM »
Things are plodding steadily along.  ;)

I've gotten industrial-strength velcro on many of my armor plates, and have prepared one side of my snap sets for attachment to the plates.
My concern is attaching the snaps to the plates. My original thought was to sew the flat part of the snap to some small pieces of fabric (leftover duck cloth from my vest/kama), then E6000 them on. But the test sintra and duck just aren't taking a liking to each other.
I saw something about using pop rivets, but I would really not like to make holes in the face of my finished plates.

Thanks for the help, vode!

Bowfanny

« Reply #13 on: Sep 09, 2015, 08:49 PM »
Things are plodding steadily along.  ;)

I've gotten industrial-strength velcro on many of my armor plates, and have prepared one side of my snap sets for attachment to the plates.
My concern is attaching the snaps to the plates. My original thought was to sew the flat part of the snap to some small pieces of fabric (leftover duck cloth from my vest/kama), then E6000 them on. But the test sintra and duck just aren't taking a liking to each other.
I saw something about using pop rivets, but I would really not like to make holes in the face of my finished plates.

Thanks for the help, vode!
You know X1958 used epoxy to mount Chicago screws to the underside of his plates. He just roughed up the area a bit so the epoxy would hold on in the grooves he made. You could do the same with snap buttons.

QMU#084

Aleara

« Reply #14 on: Sep 10, 2015, 08:42 AM »
You know X1958 used epoxy to mount Chicago screws to the underside of his plates. He just roughed up the area a bit so the epoxy would hold on in the grooves he made. You could do the same with snap buttons.

What kind of epoxy?

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #15 on: Sep 10, 2015, 09:31 AM »
J-B Weld works really good for snaps on Sintra.  That's what I'm using on my wife's WIP atm.  They hold really good!!!

Jaing

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #16 on: Sep 10, 2015, 09:57 AM »
J-B Weld works really good for snaps on Sintra.  That's what I'm using on my wife's WIP atm.  They hold really good!!!

This. All of my leg armor uses snaps done this way.

Aleara

« Reply #17 on: Sep 10, 2015, 12:50 PM »

So just the snaps adhered directly to the Sintra? No fabric necessary?

Jaing

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #18 on: Sep 10, 2015, 12:59 PM »
So just the snaps adhered directly to the Sintra? No fabric necessary?

No fabric. There is a tutorial on the forum for adding the snaps. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=7796.0

Aleara

« Reply #19 on: Sep 10, 2015, 03:19 PM »
No fabric. There is a tutorial on the forum for adding the snaps. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=7796.0

Thank you, I tried looking for a thread like that one.

Dax Vendar

• "Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #20 on: Sep 10, 2015, 03:21 PM »
Kits looking great Alera! You going to suit up with us for the parade Saturday?  8)

CAT# 1172

Aleara

Aleara

« Reply #22 on: Sep 28, 2015, 09:08 PM »
UPDATE TIME...with PICTURES!

A trial-fit of all my armor w/o the shknees:

I realize there are things that need adjusting, but it's just a prelimnary fit. Thank you to Bowfanny for taking the picture and helping me get out of my gear. Also thanks for not cracking up too much as I tried to look bad-shebs. :P

Bowfanny

« Reply #23 on: Sep 28, 2015, 09:23 PM »
I take kit business seriously, albeit it's one of the few things I do but hey we all have hobbies ;D

QMU#084

Dax Vendar

• "Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #24 on: Sep 29, 2015, 01:21 AM »
Looks good Monica! Impressive Bad--censored- face  ;D

CAT# 1172

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!