Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Yodamann's Sintra WIP

• 117 Replies
Yodamann's Sintra WIP
« on: Aug 15, 2015, 01:17 AM »
Hey guys! I finally have some progress to post! Tonight I finished sanding the back plate of my armor, and with that, I'm ready
to start heating it up so I can bend it.

So my next step is going to be heating the plates up (probably in an oven, maybe I'll buy a heat gun) and molding them to my body. Then it's on to paint and attaching velcro and straps for securing them to my person. On that subject, what is the preferred method for attaching straps to the leg plates? Is hot glue enough to keep them on?

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity 267th Rapid Assault
Re: Yodamann's Sintra WIP
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2015, 07:56 AM »
For the leg straps I would use Chicago Screws (Also Known as post screws)

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
Deathwatch Order #007
VRCA #61

Master Thread
Iron Phoenix Props

kiffren

• kiffren MMCC 0666 DZ-27182
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions. 2016 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2015, 09:25 AM »
Use at the very minimum epoxy. Hot glue doesn't hold up very well for long term wear. I use chicago screws going straight through my armor but if you do that your screws have to match your paint. If you glue the screws onto the back of your plate you're liable to have them pop off.

If you do want screws for a secure way of attaching take a piece of plastic that is about a 1/2" square and drill a hole through it that the post part of the screw barely fits in. Drill a hole a tiny bit into the plate in order to sink the head of the screw and then using either plastic epoxy or PVC cement (assuming you use Sintra, if it's not some form of PVC you can't use PVC cement) glue the piece of plastic over the screw that is sunk into the plate. Here's a diagram of what I mean:

« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2015, 09:29 AM by kiffren » Logged
« Reply #3 on: Aug 25, 2015, 12:20 AM »
Got some progress! I picked up a heat gun at a garage sale for $4, so I could get to work on the shaping part of the build. I only got one shin done, as the mosquitoes were pretty bad, and holding a giant heat source wasn't helping.

On my leg

Front

Bottom

I'm not sure if the curve I have is good enough, does anyone have any input?

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 2015, 12:06 PM »
If it fits ur leg comfortably its fine

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
Deathwatch Order #007
VRCA #61

Master Thread
Iron Phoenix Props
« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2015, 10:44 PM »
I'm not dead!

I finished heat treating my plates and got them painted too!

For Comic Con, it looks like I'll go with a quick Velcro attachment, since I don't have the time to do anything more involved. It also looks like I'll have to reuse my old T-shirt vest. So no approval as is, but it is a WIP after all. Once Uni quiets down, I'll be able to get some work in and replace the vest. I'll also need to adjust my helmet for my massive head, but that's another story.

« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2015, 07:45 PM »
I just got some pictures of the stripe I put on my armor:

The whole kit

The leg

The torso
And now... the bad news. It seems the tape I used became a little too familiar with the paint in a few places...

The cod

And the knee.

EDIT: Fixed image links

« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2015, 10:01 PM »
Also, how should the extra bits be attached to my shins/codpiece?

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Oct 18, 2015, 12:01 AM »
e6000 or plastic epoxy will do it.  If you clamp it while the glue is setting you'll get the best results.

How heavy do you intend to blackwash your kit? If you fill it in with a silver paint sharpie (which you should have anyways for trooping damage), and you give it a decent blackwash on top, it'll blend right in.

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7
« Reply #9 on: Oct 18, 2015, 03:46 PM »
I hadn't really thought about blackwash levels yet... I'm also not sure I completely understand. Are you suggesting that I cover any e6000 or epoxy that "leaks" out with sharpie? or am I completely off?

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Oct 18, 2015, 03:54 PM »
Where the tape pulled the paint off, exposing the white sintra underneath - you can color in the sintra with a silver sharpie. The blackwash would just be to disguise the transition a bit because it may not be exactly the same shade of silver as your spraypaint.

« Reply #11 on: Oct 18, 2015, 11:55 PM »
Ah. Now I understand. I was planning on taping off the stripe and repainting. What's the worst that could happen?  :laugh:

Now, onto progress! A while ago, I bought some bathroom sets to use as gauntlets. Tonight, I got the middle part cut out and sanded down the outside:

On my arm

The both of them.

I plan on putting some aluminium paint on them at some point during the week, maybe Tuesday.

« Reply #12 on: Oct 24, 2015, 07:07 PM »
It's the weekend! That means it's time to put off studying and do some work on my armor!
First off, I've got my gauntlets painted:

And I've got my plates laid out on my temporary vest:

How does that look? I haven't put the velcro on the back of the plates yet, I thought I would do a quick poll before I made permanent changes.

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #13 on: Oct 24, 2015, 11:17 PM »
Looks good on the floor, would look better on you. Let's see some sizing pics before you attach them permanently :D

« Reply #14 on: Nov 07, 2015, 05:48 PM »
So I made some more progress! For the Con last weekend, I managed to get all my plates velcro'd up, using a technique I saw on TDH: First I cleaned the sintra with alcohol wipes, then I heated the velcro glue before sticking it to the sintra. This seems to do a good job of sticking it on; I couldn't peel it off from my test piece.

So here's how it wound up looking. I know the shoulder bells are too high, but how's the rest of the sizing/placement? I think the shins/thighs/codpiece are good, but I don't know about the chest armor. I also think I'll have to shorten my gauntlets; I couldn't fully bend my arms...

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!