Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Yodamann's Sintra WIP

• 122 Replies

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
Re: Yodamann's Sintra WIP
« Reply #75 on: Mar 20, 2018, 11:50 AM »
It really is a great source for greebles and little bits.

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #76 on: Mar 22, 2018, 09:26 PM »

After an unfortunate run-in with a falling box, my back plate seems to be offering considerably less protection than I would normally like it to. That is to say, it's got a bloody great crack down the side. My question is: how do I fix it? I was thinking super glue the crack back and then reinforce the back with some e6000 and stick another piece of sintra down to make it secure.

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #77 on: Mar 22, 2018, 09:30 PM »
either sintra or fiberglass the back of the crack and surrounding area, and all the e6000, yes.  Spot putty to smooth the crack if you need to after sanding.

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #78 on: Mar 23, 2018, 07:05 AM »
Yep all the glue and reinforce with another bit of sintra, or fibreglass and resin. For the front either putty or bondo into any remaining crack and sand till smooth. Or alternatively turn the crack into 3D damage by adjusting it to appear to be a knife slash or lightsabre burn.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

bluecwsoldier3

• Call me Chellhis, or Blue
  • Awards Donated one quarter of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Force Hunter Brigade Member
« Reply #79 on: Mar 23, 2018, 09:10 AM »
Bummer, but once you fix it, you can definitely make it some sort of battle damage.

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #80 on: Mar 24, 2018, 03:18 PM »
Thanks for the tips! How exactly would I go about making it look more like battle damage? Would that be putting putty around the crack instead of into it?

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #81 on: Mar 24, 2018, 05:53 PM »
For a knife blade I'd just take a file to the edges of the crack once the back is fully reinforced and smooth the edges so it looks like something sharp has sliced into it rather than the slightly jagged edges it's cracked with.
For a lightsabre burn I'd use putty to fill the crack but not worry as much about sanding it flat, just make sure it's smoothed down, so small waves and bumps I'd just leave, then I'd add more putty along both edges to add a melted effect on the edges.

And don't forget to continue the damage on the soft parts :)

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #82 on: Mar 24, 2018, 06:24 PM »
Had my wife's boot armor crack, so I glued it back together, and painted it up to look like a field repair weld. I'll post a pic if you would like to see it. ;D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #83 on: Mar 26, 2018, 09:56 AM »
A picture should be great! Thanks!

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2018, 01:04 AM »
Well, the weather has turned, and I spent some time today starting the patch job.

I superglued the crack back together, then I added the tape, just to be extra secure until the extra trauma plate was added.

once the glue had set, I put down some e6000 around the worst of the crack and heated up a scrap piece of sintra until it was nice and floppy. I pressed it down so that it would mimic the shape of the back plate, and let it cool. I might add some more down the rest of the crack just to be extra confident.

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #85 on: Jul 29, 2018, 11:15 PM »
In the... long time since the last post, I've made some progress.

I bought some proper Bondo, and repaired the crack completely:

I've got the base coat back on, so I'm back to where I started.

Today was also an armour party, and so I was able to get some help with placement.

I had some help tracing out where the back plate sat on my back, and then I was able to mark out where the velcro attachment points will go. I hope to sew the velcro on before the next armour party so that I can get that together at that point. Once that's all ready to go, I can get the stripe on, an weather it to match the rest of my plates.

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #86 on: Oct 14, 2018, 01:31 AM »
So only two and a half months between posts this time, so that's something.

Anyway, I accomplished my goal w/r/t back plate attachment. I got all the velcro on, and at the next party I got the back plate attached. While it was being attached, we noticed that the "prongs" didn't match up with my collar plate. So a straight line was marked on with a pencil, and I used my trusty rotary tool to cut off the excess. Then it was a bit of sanding and lick of paint, and my back plate was good to go.

I didn't really take any pictures of that, so you guys'll have to take my word for it.

I also got some work done improving the attachment of my shin plates. Until now, it's just been velcro on my flightsuit that's kept them in place, but I found that they were flopping in the breeze, so I picked up some webbing and looping hardware, and fashioned some straps!

I made four (two for each side)

Now I just need to attach the straps to my sintra. I'm thinking superglue the webbing down, and then put attach a small piece of sintra over that with e6000 or something to really stick it down. Any tips on attachment?

That's all for now, hopefully I'll be back sooner next time!

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #87 on: Oct 21, 2018, 09:10 PM »
After some discussion with members of my clan, I changed the plan from superglue to e6000ing the straps.

I scored the sintra first to give the e6000 something more to grab onto

Then I put down the straps and clamped them in place.

Next I'll wait for this to cure, and then check out the strength. I think regardless of how that turns out, I'll reinforce with a sheet of sintra e6000'd over the strap.

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #88 on: Oct 29, 2018, 07:43 PM »
After the e6000 cured, I did a quick fit test, and everything seemed good. However, one strap was coming loose, so I went ahead and reapplied the e6000. While that set, I got ready to reinforce the stuff:

I cut out some rectangles of sintra, and scored one side with an xacto knife. I also scored the back of the shin pad to give more surface area. I dumped a bunch of e6000 down where the reinforcement would go, and then heated up the rectangles one at a time. Once they were good and floppy, I would place it where it needed to go and hold it until it hardened. I also put some restraints down to keep it secure:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/FhJMRzs.jpg[.img]

After a bit, I did a quick pull tests, and it seemed pretty solid. I'm gonna call the shin plates done.

I've gotta do the same to my knees, and finish painting the back plate, and then my armour plates are all done, barring any requested tweaks.

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #89 on: Nov 14, 2018, 04:44 PM »

Just a short "state of the Union" post. Here's where my plates are at. Does anything stick out as obviously wrong? The shoulders seem to stick out a bit. Also, I just got the girth belt on, so how's that looking?

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
« Reply #90 on: Nov 14, 2018, 05:06 PM »
Ab plate looks a little tall. Everything else looks fitted right. Maybe a small trim of the tops of the chest plates.

You'll want to tailor the sleeves and legs of the flight suit to hug your body closer.

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #91 on: Nov 14, 2018, 06:43 PM »
Your thigh plates will need to come up so they don't collide with your (not pictured  :P) knee plates.  They might even wind up needing a trim - we'll need to see all the bits on you to be sure.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Darasuum Prudii

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #92 on: Nov 14, 2018, 07:40 PM »
Thighs look a hair too large for you body. I think those may need sized down. You chest armor and belly armor looks good over all size but the placement and trim of the plates will need fine tuned. About a thumbs width between collar and chest armor and a thumbs width between belly armor and chest. Main thing is a consistent gap around the plates.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #93 on: Nov 14, 2018, 08:37 PM »
The shoulders are fine. 
As the others have said, the ab plate is a bit tall, and a very slight trim to the outside edges of the chest plates.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #94 on: Nov 14, 2018, 09:41 PM »
Regarding the thigh plates, besides being a bit too large (add knees and you'll see how much too big), they are technically rotated too far forward and on the wrong legs :P the cut out isn't for the cod, it's so the armor doesn't interfere with grabbing the grip of your pistols. That said, lots of people wear them as you have them :D. I think everyone has pointed out the other issues I see. You're on the right track, keep up the good work.

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #95 on: Nov 15, 2018, 12:00 AM »
Thanks for the tips everyone! Just a few clarification questions:

Regarding the ab plate: shave off some material from the bottom? Line 1-2cm?

Regarding the chest plates: shave off from the top extended part to match with the collar plate? Should the whole side be cut down?

Regarding the tailoring: I've got gauntlets and shin plates, so do they really need to your that much?

Regarding the thighs: wow, I really had no idea. I'll have to take a closer look at Jango

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #96 on: Feb 09, 2019, 07:45 PM »
Despite the winter cold, I have a bit of an update!

First of all, when I was planning out the paint job on my bucket, I figured two colours wasn't quite enough, so I did a slight revamp to the colour scheme:

I'm thinking of  ditching the stripe, and going more for some layering on the paint. that being said, I'm not quite locked in colour blocking... I'd appreciate some input between the two options (or some combination of elements of them)

Applying a coat of white paint to the back plate and bucket. This time I used tooth paste as the masking fluid. We'll see how it compares to mustard when the time comes to remove it.

KaylinSilverfurr

• OM #1899 / Cabur Akaata #119 / M.L.C.S. #42
« Reply #97 on: Feb 10, 2019, 11:11 PM »
Commenting to follow. Keep at it Ben, and if you can make the next armour party, I hope to see you there with some things we can work on.

~Shauna

Mirdala Kyr’am
Alor'ad- Vhetin'Ade Clan; June 2022- Present
Ruus'alor Solyc- Vhetin'Ade Clan; 2017- 2022
App Team Q&A
Ruus'sol for Western Region- USA
OM #1899

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #98 on: Apr 14, 2019, 09:39 PM »
I'm back with some mild progress!

In the interest of redoing the paint scheme on my plates, I've stripped the existing paint from them:

And I got a coat of primer down on some of the plates.

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #99 on: Apr 20, 2019, 09:43 PM »
I had a somewhat revolutionary idea... I'd do a computer mockup of the paint job instead of having a rough idea and plowing ahead.

So, I present my (probably) final colour scheme!

I also got some primer down on the parts I stripped last weekend, and got the primed parts wetsanded, so it's almost time for base metal coats.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!