Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Yodamann's Sintra WIP

• 119 Replies
Re: Yodamann's Sintra WIP
« Reply #90 on: Nov 14, 2018, 04:44 PM »

Just a short "state of the Union" post. Here's where my plates are at. Does anything stick out as obviously wrong? The shoulders seem to stick out a bit. Also, I just got the girth belt on, so how's that looking?

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards Airmobile brigade member Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #91 on: Nov 14, 2018, 05:06 PM »
Ab plate looks a little tall. Everything else looks fitted right. Maybe a small trim of the tops of the chest plates.

You'll want to tailor the sleeves and legs of the flight suit to hug your body closer.

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
M.A.C.K#51 O.O.P.S#48 G.O.M.O.L#34 O.S.B.A. #08
P.W.S.#007 Mando Wraps#04 B.O.B.B#32

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #92 on: Nov 14, 2018, 06:43 PM »
Your thigh plates will need to come up so they don't collide with your (not pictured  :P) knee plates.  They might even wind up needing a trim - we'll need to see all the bits on you to be sure.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Darasuum Prudii

• We gladly feast on those who would subdue us.
« Reply #93 on: Nov 14, 2018, 07:40 PM »
Thighs look a hair too large for you body. I think those may need sized down. You chest armor and belly armor looks good over all size but the placement and trim of the plates will need fine tuned. About a thumbs width between collar and chest armor and a thumbs width between belly armor and chest. Main thing is a consistent gap around the plates.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #94 on: Nov 14, 2018, 08:37 PM »
The shoulders are fine. 
As the others have said, the ab plate is a bit tall, and a very slight trim to the outside edges of the chest plates.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #95 on: Nov 14, 2018, 09:41 PM »
Regarding the thigh plates, besides being a bit too large (add knees and you'll see how much too big), they are technically rotated too far forward and on the wrong legs :P the cut out isn't for the cod, it's so the armor doesn't interfere with grabbing the grip of your pistols. That said, lots of people wear them as you have them :D. I think everyone has pointed out the other issues I see. You're on the right track, keep up the good work.

« Reply #96 on: Nov 15, 2018, 12:00 AM »
Thanks for the tips everyone! Just a few clarification questions:

Regarding the ab plate: shave off some material from the bottom? Line 1-2cm?

Regarding the chest plates: shave off from the top extended part to match with the collar plate? Should the whole side be cut down?

Regarding the tailoring: I've got gauntlets and shin plates, so do they really need to your that much?

Regarding the thighs: wow, I really had no idea. I'll have to take a closer look at Jango

« Reply #97 on: Feb 09, 2019, 07:45 PM »
Despite the winter cold, I have a bit of an update!

First of all, when I was planning out the paint job on my bucket, I figured two colours wasn't quite enough, so I did a slight revamp to the colour scheme:

I'm thinking of  ditching the stripe, and going more for some layering on the paint. that being said, I'm not quite locked in colour blocking... I'd appreciate some input between the two options (or some combination of elements of them)

Applying a coat of white paint to the back plate and bucket. This time I used tooth paste as the masking fluid. We'll see how it compares to mustard when the time comes to remove it.

KaylinSilverfurr

• OM #1899 / Cabur Akaata #119 / M.L.C.S. #42
« Reply #98 on: Feb 10, 2019, 11:11 PM »
Commenting to follow. Keep at it Ben, and if you can make the next armour party, I hope to see you there with some things we can work on.

~Shauna

« Reply #99 on: Apr 14, 2019, 09:39 PM »
I'm back with some mild progress!

In the interest of redoing the paint scheme on my plates, I've stripped the existing paint from them:

And I got a coat of primer down on some of the plates.

« Reply #100 on: Apr 20, 2019, 09:43 PM »
I had a somewhat revolutionary idea... I'd do a computer mockup of the paint job instead of having a rough idea and plowing ahead.

So, I present my (probably) final colour scheme!

I also got some primer down on the parts I stripped last weekend, and got the primed parts wetsanded, so it's almost time for base metal coats.

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #101 on: Apr 24, 2019, 02:48 PM »
Very nice!  I like the asymmetrical look

Vor'en Marr

• Vor'en Marr
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #102 on: Apr 24, 2019, 03:40 PM »
Love the rendering too. I think i changed my scheme 2 or 3 times before i settled.

Always better to try it out on paper before the expense of paint :-)

MMCC OM #1437 |MMCC Brigade #198| B.O.M.B #069 | MiB #018| B.O.O.M #027

KaylinSilverfurr

• OM #1899 / Cabur Akaata #119 / M.L.C.S. #42
« Reply #103 on: May 05, 2019, 11:21 AM »
Agreed. It took me at least three times before I settled on a paint job, and even then I ended up adding the yellow after I'd been approved.

Just know that of you need to make minor adjustment after your approval, just come talk to me. We will get you sorted.

~Shauna

« Reply #104 on: Jul 11, 2019, 09:30 PM »
I have been plugging away at this, but always neglecting to post.

In the time since my last post, I've done a lot of painting and sanding... I get the  base metal coat down, then when I apply the white paint, it crinkles up. I clean the plates with dish soap between colour changes... is that the right thing to do?

Anyway, it turns out it's all for the best, since at a recent armour party, I was trying to lock in my check plate placement, and it turns out there was some trimming and reshaping that needed to happen. My ruus'alor was very helpful with the shaping/trimming, but I'll need to wait for the next armour party to finish that up.

Moving onto parts that have been going better, I decided to beef up my gauntlets. On one, I'll have a sort of communications panel, with four "buttons" that will blink blue and white. The fun part is that the lights will show the (approximate) time. One colour will show the hour encoded as a 4 bit binary number, while the other colour will show progress through the hour.

here's what I have so far for the right gauntlet.
I've done some preliminary tests, and the lights diffuse nicely through the "buttons" I have.

In the mean time, I hope to make some real progress on my helmet before the next armour party, Let's all hope that the paint doesn't crinkle.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!