Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Yodamann's Sintra WIP

• 122 Replies

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Yodamann's Sintra WIP
« Reply #100 on: Apr 24, 2019, 02:48 PM »
Very nice!  I like the asymmetrical look

Instagram: @evaarla_kal

Vor'en Marr

• Vor'en Marr
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #101 on: Apr 24, 2019, 03:40 PM »
Love the rendering too. I think i changed my scheme 2 or 3 times before i settled.

Always better to try it out on paper before the expense of paint :-)

MMCC OM #1437 |MMCC Brigade #198| B.O.M.B #069 | MiB #018| B.O.O.M #027

KaylinSilverfurr

• OM #1899 / Cabur Akaata #119 / M.L.C.S. #42
« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2019, 11:21 AM »
Agreed. It took me at least three times before I settled on a paint job, and even then I ended up adding the yellow after I'd been approved.

Just know that of you need to make minor adjustment after your approval, just come talk to me. We will get you sorted.

~Shauna

Mirdala Kyr’am
Alor'ad- Vhetin'Ade Clan; June 2022- Present
Ruus'alor Solyc- Vhetin'Ade Clan; 2017- 2022
App Team Q&A
Ruus'sol for Western Region- USA
OM #1899

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #103 on: Jul 11, 2019, 09:30 PM »
I have been plugging away at this, but always neglecting to post.

In the time since my last post, I've done a lot of painting and sanding... I get the  base metal coat down, then when I apply the white paint, it crinkles up. I clean the plates with dish soap between colour changes... is that the right thing to do?

Anyway, it turns out it's all for the best, since at a recent armour party, I was trying to lock in my check plate placement, and it turns out there was some trimming and reshaping that needed to happen. My ruus'alor was very helpful with the shaping/trimming, but I'll need to wait for the next armour party to finish that up.

Moving onto parts that have been going better, I decided to beef up my gauntlets. On one, I'll have a sort of communications panel, with four "buttons" that will blink blue and white. The fun part is that the lights will show the (approximate) time. One colour will show the hour encoded as a 4 bit binary number, while the other colour will show progress through the hour.

here's what I have so far for the right gauntlet.
I've done some preliminary tests, and the lights diffuse nicely through the "buttons" I have.

In the mean time, I hope to make some real progress on my helmet before the next armour party, Let's all hope that the paint doesn't crinkle.

KaylinSilverfurr

« Reply #104 on: Jul 11, 2019, 11:44 PM »
I'm excited to see this come together.

And I'm more than happy to help. See you again August 3rd.... and I expect cookies this time.

~Shauna

Mirdala Kyr’am
App Team Q&A
OM #1899

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #105 on: Jul 12, 2019, 05:45 AM »
This may or may not help as we have different paint types and climates, however this is what I've found works best for me: I run some very fine sandpaper over my base coat - just enough to stop the surface being completely smooth so the next paint layer will adhere top it, not enough to scratch through the paint. I then wipe over with a damp papertowel to remove the dust - not wet enough to drip and nothing but water. Any type of soap could leave a residue which could be stopping paint adhering. I then leave the item alone for at least a day - this allows the base paint layer to fully degas and the remaining dampness to dry. Only then do I paint the next colour on, making sure it's done in thin layers with a 15-30 minute wait time between each thin layer. With the paints i use trying to get a nice thick even cover with the first run of colour just creates a thick rubbery, wrinkly mess that peels back off. Thin layers can dry properly.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #106 on: Jul 12, 2019, 11:15 PM »
Thanks for the tip about the dish soap. Funny, I thought that the soap would take away the residue. I'll also do some experiments with lightly sanding, see what comes of that.

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #107 on: Jul 13, 2019, 06:15 AM »
Some soaps contain an almost oily layer which I think is what stops adherence. Which may be why some are good for using and some aren't. I've never worked out which is which though so just stay away from them all just in case.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #108 on: Jul 13, 2019, 09:54 AM »
Blue Dawn dish soap seems to work without leave by any residue. It's also what they use on birds in oil spills.

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #109 on: Jul 13, 2019, 07:00 PM »
W/R/T Soap, I was using Dawn Ultra. Maybe I wasn't doing a good enough job rinsing it off.

I managed to get some primer on my bucket without crinkling, so let's hope that that's an omen of no more crinkling. I'm getting sick of sanding off messed up paint.

I also printed out a test print for the gauntlet topper:

Does it look a bit tall?

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #110 on: Aug 05, 2019, 06:25 PM »
Hooray for necroposting!

Update w/r/t chest plate mods:

And the bucket is back to silver:

Most of this weekend's work has been on the blaster, progress for that can be found on my weapon thread.

Kol Hokan

• Armor does not make a warrior, spirit does.
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Special Weapons Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #111 on: Aug 06, 2019, 06:54 PM »
Nah, July to August of the same year is not necroposting.  You're fine.

Looks like some good progress, but you'll want to revisit the ab plate. It is unfortunately far too tall. CRLs state that standard Modern style ab plates need to have a height ratio cannot exceed 2/3 of the total width.

I would strongly recommend cutting down the tabs on your chest plates to give your more room to work with and then trimming down the ab plate to the proper size (red).  Then, of course, bring up the whole ab so you have about a thumbs width between the ab and the chest plates (blue).

I made a quick alteration to your photo to help show what I'm talking about.  Hope this helps!

Your collar looks a bit wonky too. If you haven't met up with your local Ruus'alor or another clanmate, I suggest you do so.  Sometimes two hands is better than one, especially on plates like collars and  backplates. 

« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2019, 06:58 PM by Kol Hokan » Logged
Alex Cole .... Clan: Concordia .... CAT#: 0787 .... Brigade#: 278
Concordia Clan Tra'alor 2023
Concordia Clan Ruus'alor Sol'yc 2018-2020
Concordia Clan Alor'ad 2013-2016
Brigade Marshal 2014-2016
501st: BH-11628 .... TDE: #175 .... RL: Resistance Pilot - Screaming Porgs Squadron

KaylinSilverfurr

« Reply #112 on: Aug 06, 2019, 07:27 PM »
Nah, July to August of the same year is not necroposting.  You're fine.

Looks like some good progress, but you'll want to revisit the ab plate. It is unfortunately far too tall. CRLs state that standard Modern style ab plates need to have a height ratio cannot exceed 2/3 of the total width.

I would strongly recommend cutting down the tabs on your chest plates to give your more room to work with and then trimming down the ab plate to the proper size (red).  Then, of course, bring up the whole ab so you have about a thumbs width between the ab and the chest plates (blue).

I made a quick alteration to your photo to help show what I'm talking about.  Hope this helps!

Your collar looks a bit wonky too. If you haven't met up with your local Ruus'alor or another clanmate, I suggest you do so.  Sometimes two hands is better than one, especially on plates like collars and  backplates.

Yup, we're working on it as best we can. I want to help him get the neck plate finished first before everything else, and we know the ab plate needs to be revisited. I tend to work from neck plate and work my way down, and I instruct my UM's to do the same. If only because everything else is dependant on the neck plate anyway.

~Shauna

Mirdala Kyr’am
App Team Q&A
OM #1899
« Reply #113 on: Aug 07, 2019, 01:16 PM »
Commenting to following! Thanks for bringing cookies last time, they were really good!  ;D

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #114 on: Aug 17, 2019, 06:51 PM »
I'll leave off the plates until the next armour party. In the mean time, I got the white coat down on my helmet, and there was no crinkling!

Before the paint

Post-paint. Maybe the weather was just perfect today, but no crinkles to be seen.
Hopefully I won't need to strip this down to the resin again.

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #115 on: Sep 04, 2019, 06:53 PM »
Well, we had another armour party over the weekend, and the plan was to get all the chest plates shaped and positioned.

That was the plan.

As it turned out, the plates were much too small, so I printed out some templates of a more appropriate size. I just hope the back plate is still sized right.

I'll pick up a hot knife this week, and hopefully get these new plates cut out over the weekend. 

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #116 on: Sep 15, 2019, 09:50 PM »
I think (hope) the painting is done on the helmet!

The masking

The grey coat

And the blue!

All the paint seems to have gone on nicely, all that remains is to pull off the masking and hope that I did a good enough job.

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #117 on: Oct 28, 2019, 09:32 PM »
At a (semi) recent armour party, I got the collar plate and the chest plates shaped (thanks for the help @beren88)

I also got the belly plate cut out.

In helmet news, I got that painted and assembled:

KaylinSilverfurr

« Reply #118 on: Oct 28, 2019, 10:53 PM »
Looking way better! Keep up the good work!

~Shauna

Mirdala Kyr’am
App Team Q&A
OM #1899

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #119 on: Apr 01, 2020, 07:58 PM »
Been a long time since I posted... but in that time, I have been working, albeit a bit slowly.

I got my new chest plates mounted (with snaps this time) with help from my Shauna, and I took advantage of the past two days worth of nice weather to get some primer down:

I've also designed two gauntlet toppers

One with space for whistling birds:

And a com pad:

In the whistling birds, I plan on installing LEDs where the birds would be that light up like in the show.

I've also finished the design of the GPS clock for the com pad.

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #120 on: Apr 04, 2020, 01:50 PM »
Thanks to social distancing, I got the electronics finalized for my watch/Com pad gauntlet!

The white LEDs show the hour encoded as a binary number with the most significant bit at the left (1 + 2 + 8 = 11), and the blue LEDs show progress through the hour , where no lights lit is 0-12 minutes, and all lights is 48-59 minutes, and other parts of the hours line up as you might expect.

KaylinSilverfurr

« Reply #121 on: Apr 08, 2020, 12:40 PM »
This is coming along nicely Ben. Hope you can get more work done over the next little while.

~Shauna

Mirdala Kyr’am
App Team Q&A
OM #1899

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #122 on: Apr 08, 2020, 03:18 PM »
Me too! Hopefully painting weather gets here soon.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!