Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Yodamann's Sintra WIP

• 110 Replies

KaylinSilverfurr

• OM #1899 / Cabur Akaata #119 / M.L.C.S. #42
Re: Yodamann's Sintra WIP
« Reply #105 on: Jul 11, 2019, 11:44 PM »
I'm excited to see this come together.

And I'm more than happy to help. See you again August 3rd.... and I expect cookies this time.

~Shauna

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #106 on: Jul 12, 2019, 05:45 AM »
This may or may not help as we have different paint types and climates, however this is what I've found works best for me: I run some very fine sandpaper over my base coat - just enough to stop the surface being completely smooth so the next paint layer will adhere top it, not enough to scratch through the paint. I then wipe over with a damp papertowel to remove the dust - not wet enough to drip and nothing but water. Any type of soap could leave a residue which could be stopping paint adhering. I then leave the item alone for at least a day - this allows the base paint layer to fully degas and the remaining dampness to dry. Only then do I paint the next colour on, making sure it's done in thin layers with a 15-30 minute wait time between each thin layer. With the paints i use trying to get a nice thick even cover with the first run of colour just creates a thick rubbery, wrinkly mess that peels back off. Thin layers can dry properly.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

WIP's: EC, Twi'lek, Demolitions
« Reply #107 on: Jul 12, 2019, 11:15 PM »
Thanks for the tip about the dish soap. Funny, I thought that the soap would take away the residue. I'll also do some experiments with lightly sanding, see what comes of that.

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #108 on: Jul 13, 2019, 06:15 AM »
Some soaps contain an almost oily layer which I think is what stops adherence. Which may be why some are good for using and some aren't. I've never worked out which is which though so just stay away from them all just in case.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

WIP's: EC, Twi'lek, Demolitions

Sep Ho'ban

• Hammersaw
  • Awards Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #109 on: Jul 13, 2019, 09:54 AM »
Blue Dawn dish soap seems to work without leave by any residue. It's also what they use on birds in oil spills.

« Reply #110 on: Jul 13, 2019, 07:00 PM »
W/R/T Soap, I was using Dawn Ultra. Maybe I wasn't doing a good enough job rinsing it off.

I managed to get some primer on my bucket without crinkling, so let's hope that that's an omen of no more crinkling. I'm getting sick of sanding off messed up paint.

I also printed out a test print for the gauntlet topper:

Does it look a bit tall?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!